Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: SoCal 2015/2016

Sooooo stoked to be done with my week (what feels like two) of traveling, and VERY ready for my first Schredthursdee (day trip on Thursdays starting up semi-regular)...

So. Where am I going Thursday? And whom with? Am i guaranteed core shots and broken bones if I ski off piste at Baldy at this point? If so, are groomers still pretty fun? Any good (relatively speaking) off piste stuff up at Snow Summit or Bear Mtn? Would love to ski something besides the groomers at Snow Summit, and maybe am pretty eager to check out the "expert" terrain there (suspecting there's greater quantity than at Bear Mountain until the base builds up a lot more in the trees). Legs are out of shape, so short but steep is ok with me.

Pretty torn and clueless. Any thoughts for what to do three days from now?

And anyone wanna go ski? I can pick up anywhere along i-15/ 215. I live in Kearny Mesa (central SD) and am looking to ski early to lunchtime to be back home to SD a little after 3ish (4 at latest). Happy to cover cost of gas in exchange for sharing some turns. Hit me up!
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Days View Post
    So. Where am I going Thursday? And whom with? Am i guaranteed core shots and broken bones if I ski off piste at Baldy at this point?
    I can't join, but I'd like to hear a first hand account if you head that way.
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

It's good out there but could not scope baldy. Coverage in San Bernardino range and Angeles crest is quite good

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1452570937.235724.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	732.3 KB 
ID:	174820
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Days View Post
    Sooooo stoked to be done with my week (what feels like two) of traveling, and VERY ready for my first Schredthursdee (day trip on Thursdays starting up semi-regular)...

So. Where am I going Thursday? And whom with? Am i guaranteed core shots and broken bones if I ski off piste at Baldy at this point? If so, are groomers still pretty fun? Any good (relatively speaking) off piste stuff up at Snow Summit or Bear Mtn? Would love to ski something besides the groomers at Snow Summit, and maybe am pretty eager to check out the "expert" terrain there (suspecting there's greater quantity than at Bear Mountain until the base builds up a lot more in the trees). Legs are out of shape, so short but steep is ok with me.

Pretty torn and clueless. Any thoughts for what to do three days from now?

And anyone wanna go ski? I can pick up anywhere along i-15/ 215. I live in Kearny Mesa (central SD) and am looking to ski early to lunchtime to be back home to SD a little after 3ish (4 at latest). Happy to cover cost of gas in exchange for sharing some turns. Hit me up!
    If you can wait until this weekend I'd be up for some exploring. Mt Waterman will be open too I think.

Word son.

C-lady and I are planning on skiing either snow summit or big bear Sunday. Might get her to try the summit run (gulp).

I'll hit you up
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

So did anyone here get to Baldy this weekend? They reported the same new snow out of last week as Big Bear did (about 2 feet) which seems odd to me but whatever.

Skied Baldy today.
    Coverage is excellent right now "for Baldy".....
    Thunder is fully covered too.
    Telegraph Peak looks skiable.
    Skied to the parking lot to go home.
    No download ride of shame today.
    Wanted to mention the snow is now consolidated so you know what you are getting into. Safe riding on the whole mountain. Follow the sun as shady spots will be frozen/ too much sun is mank. Usual Baldy conditions..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1452655001746.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	174859   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1452655048260.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	174862   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1452655072768.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	174863   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1452655103225.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	174864   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1452655164407.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	174865  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1452655241541.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	174866  
    Last edited by TWINS; 01-13-2016 at 10:52 AM.

Thanks for the info Twins. That is good to know. I will be there this weekend.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Another storm or two and it might be worth doing Baldy proper. It's been awhile.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Yep^^^^^ Good enough to play on but we need more snow.
    Today's storm didn't show up.
    Sitting in my doctors office looking at the hill right now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1452708215761.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	174894  

Baldy for me this Sunday perhaps. Looks "great"! Not too excited for the weekend hordes though.

Re:Baldy

I lived in that area for a few years, always wanted to ski that mountain but never good snow/timing. Thanks for sharing the pics! sick!

It looks better than I expected. I'm glad the snow is consolidating. I'm impressed you could ski to the parking lot.
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

I can't remember the last time I did a lot run at Baldy. I did tons of them in 10/11, but I don't know if I have even done one since then.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Hey Twins, or anyone who has been to Baldy, is the north facing stuff getting slushy? If so it will definitely be a matter of following the sun around. Do you know if the runs down to the lot have gotten into the slush/freeze pattern? Any info would be great.

Freeze /thaw on any wind protected North face.
    Its all about the wind.
    And yes the North facing runs to the lot are in that catagory. When I skied to the lot Tuesday anything in the shade was refozen chopped pow. Deflection city.
    Anything that was on a spine was thick mank.
    Good snow sense and route finding skills will get you some great spring turns right now.
    Not too cold/ not too hot. Just right
    Back when we used to have snow I gaged the conditions by the wind speed /direction /snow temp.
    The Baldy weather station does not give out 24 hour data anymore.
    Not that sucks

Anyone with any beta on conditions on Baden-Powell or Baldy proper? I might do a little poking around this weekend.

Thanks for the info Twins. This weekend should still be fun.

LBSki, there was 1 skin track up the face and 1 set of ski tracks down. Beautiful turns whoever laid them down.
    Saw this a few days ago.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nkkmMu...ature=youtu.be

That was a boring 5 minutes, but snow coverage looked decent.

We are going to give Baden-Powell on shot on Sunday.Hoping for good turns.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Posted for Baldy Proper conditions only.
    You get a good idea of what is going on.
    Baden Powel for the win
    Throop will be good also.
    Waterman opens tomorrow.

Thumbs up DPS Skis

That's a nice video iTomahawk ...how do you like those DPS skis?

Quote Originally Posted by iTomahawk View Post
    San Jacinto had plenty of coverage on Saturday. The terrain from tram to summit is 99% meadow skipping but its a fun little tour. Friday was probably the choice day but I was stuck at work. It was so foggy and windy up top I couldn't really scope out snow creek. Will look again next time. There was a bit of crust forming already and the snow was a little dense, which was actually fortunate since it took the brush and rocks out of play.

Did Baden-Powell yesterday in varied to horrible conditions. Good boot pack up the first half and last quarter with a mix of footprints inbetween. Tried to skin some of it, but too had and needed ski crampons and my binding recepticle was bent. Boot crampons balled badly, so part of the up was a pain. The down was a mix of hard ice, over cast, slight breeze and mils temps, so never softened up high. We got funneled into the main chute, which had the best (of marginal) skiing, but it wasn't filled and got rocky. Tried to traverse out but hit large bare patches and steep loose chose, so had to climb up and out across to pretty are conditions. The lower part was nasty glue like snow. There were a few reasonably fun turns in the middle, but over all not worth the effort. Wait for a new storm or for more spring like corn.

iscariot

Speaking of ski crampons, did anybody lose one on B-P?

iscariot

Just skied Baldy and it was not fun. It did not warm up enough to soften the off-piste, so it was pretty scratchy. The only stuff that looked fun was Herb's Hollow, but I couldn't find a nice way in so I didn't bother. My run down to the lot was not good, but it is always good to get a run down to the lot. The coverage is okay, it was just too cold today.