Tech/Web/eCommerce Nerds - Magento

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to launch an online retail marketplace built around Magento Community. Any hints or tips or tricks or whatever? Any must have plug-ins or extensions?

Currently running a successful webstore using Woocommerce but hate how dumbed down it is and how every little tweak requires a new plug-in that may cause issues with the other plug-ins you have installed. I also hate that managing product SKU variants is ultra time consuming. This Magento site will be for a different project we're working on but will probably migrate WooCommerce store to Magento eventually.

I have been using Wordpress for a really long time and have a basic grasp of HTML, CSS, and PHP but am not really a coder nor a designer. I am quite computer savvy.

Bump. Anybody?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1449518240.759686.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	676.7 KB 
ID:	173004

FWIW I've been using Big Commerce for a POC project at work. You can get at the templates and change stuff up. Plenty of API's for loading products, exporting orders, etc.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

have you looked into shopify? I've found it to work pretty well for my needs.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    we switched to magento this season
    mehgento would be my non web/tech ecomererce geek shop rat take on it
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno