Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mtn lab have massive ankle/heel and instep. I haven't met anyone who hasn't crammed a ton of foam in them and/or added the scars instep buckle mod

does any of that ^^ really work for a low volume foot?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Old thread, but what I want for my skinny heels, and ankles is a touring boot that fits (and flexes) like a Salomon Xmax 120. Why is that so hard?

In the meantime, I continue to buy $250 Mercuries on sale when ever I find them (onto pair number 3 right now)
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    Old thread, but what I want for my skinny heels, and ankles is a touring boot that fits (and flexes) like a Salomon Xmax 120. Why is that so hard?

In the meantime, I continue to buy $250 Mercuries on sale when ever I find them (onto pair number 3 right now)
    Lupo carbon ti? Walks really nice and skis like an alpine boot.fits my skinny heel and ankles. Maybe too heavy?

That is what I've been scheming on, once the early generations are behind us. I have other Lupos, and am pretty happy with the fit.
    Life is not lift served.

Touring boots for very low volume feet/legs

Ya they're going to need to chop a couple hundred grams off if they want to be competitive with others. Just picked up some. They seem a touch stiffer than my lupo kr alpine boots. A few days walking in them have been good and that's coming from my other boot(tlt6's). Skiing down is awesome. Put a bontex board in and a little heel lift and booster. Good liner. I may drill the cuff for the dalbello forward lean cuff shim to mimick my alpine version. Quite happy with both my boots now. 4th punch on the tlt6's and they're now slippers. Double tongues and booster and now it takes a fair bit to fold it. With single tongue it would just fold all of a sudden. No chance of that on the lupo ti

I just drop down a size to get the right volume, then smash out the toe box of the liner.

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    That is what I've been scheming on, once the early generations are behind us. I have other Lupos, and am pretty happy with the fit.
    Maybe they get lighter, but this generation rules. Don't hesitate to buy some if you find them on sale.

Best boot evah!

Coming from mercuries.... sooooooooo much better. The fit is a little tighter in the forefoot, but similar everywhere else. I'm using the same liner as the mercury. I want to spit on my mercuries every time I see them now.

A little heavier, but walk mode is just as smooth.

So can tour... check
    Can rip... check

The search is over for me I've found the promised land!

Even got them into some FWQs with kingpins. They take backseat, bombhole landings like a champ. You know yur fukked when you get bib 73.

I'm also happy using Mercuries with Alpine Wraps for my spindly anatomy, and am unimpressed with the spacious fit of many of the newer choices (Salomon, La Sportiva, Scarpa, newer Dynafits). It's infuriating that designers (prioritizing shop-fit and on-line sales) ignore the reality that it's relatively easy to add volume to a shell, but almost impossible to remove it (so start with minimum volume and make them easy to punch). Lupos are over-kill for my needs, but have heard some good things about the Backland Carbons (though a little low in the leg, which could likely be remedied with an intuition liner) and am curious about the new Hawx Ultra XTDs.

The F1s had the best heel hold on my absurdly skinny heels out of every boot I tried including alpine. Zero lateral play. The instep is a bit high so it allowed a bit of vertical lift.

Tried a pair of Lupo TI carbon's on recently, and didn't think they had as good of heel hold as my vulcans. I also thought they were pretty soft.

But YMMV.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    does any of that ^^ really work for a low volume foot?
    It will get you by and you will have to replace the foam as it packs out or gets ripped off. But no, padding boots is the shittiest thing to do. Salomon blew the fit on that boot.

I'm sure the salomon boot fits somebody but i am betting not the same people who fit the Vulcan?

Everything I have ever read sez you can't fix the rong boot shell with foam

Dynafit tried to kill the goose that layed the golden egg which was the vulcan almost 2 seasons ago but its still around

Now I am hearing the Vulcan that was advertised to have the FG cuff is showing up with the carbon cuff?

And then I recently heard rumors the Vulcan will be back for another 2 seasons ??

it would certainly be no brainer/no cost to just bring back the Vulcan
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Tried a pair of Lupo TI carbon's on recently, and didn't think they had as good of heel hold as my vulcans. I also thought they were pretty soft.

But YMMV.

I thought the same thing on the floor, but while skiing I think it might be better, if that's possible. I'm super sensitive to heel lift and have very narrow heels so I love the mercuries for that reason. I would notice a little heel lift sometime in the mercury, but have yet to notice it with the lupo. I do have to pop the middle buckle at the bottom of runs, but that was the same on the mercury.

For stiffness, I can't compare to Vulcans. I should have gotten the vulcan originally. Compared to the older krypton (not KR2), with flex stop in lower position and stiff tongue, they are quite a bit stiffer. They still have that 3 piece give on big impacts, but that's really the only time I notice it. I've got a WC Booster on them though, without a booster or power strap I think they'd be sloppy at the top and softer. I weight 160lbs.

Also looking at Lupo/Vulcan/Freetour for a NZ one boot quiver this season.

I am coming off of Fischer Vaccuum 150's and use a 130 for in the sidecountry with dukes, love the boots but they just don't cut it for longer trips. I skied the Dynafit Radical during a week long hut to hut trip and absolutely hated the sloppiness while driving a pair of renegades.

Any thoughts?

The MTN Lab works really well for me w/ just the supplied shims and the stock footbed. The boot feels a lot more narrow than other boots I have worn, like it puts serious pressure on the sides of my feet.

I guess the instep is pretty high, maybe I have a high instep