Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12
    Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    My go to skis this season have been 182 UL GPO's. They are great. Much more versatile than expected. So easy, yet so competent. From day one they've made whatever turn shape I've asked regardless of snow type. I'd been moving back toward narrower, lighter skis (I still like those too), but these things just speak to me. Bought them from a friend who didn't like them much. Who knows.
    Just got back from a quick lap next to home. Echo your thoughts. Mostly pow so that was ez and then crossed some old turns, still ez then shallow and old turns out the trail thru the trees . No probs they pivot around. Functional design for more than smooth pow. Super fast bases too. Carry good speed out the Nordic trails. Always pass people on the cattracks on the hill despite only an annual wax/tune.
    Those ul 187's in gs should be long gone at that price. I'd say jump on those

X3. super versatile in the BC, pretty much the only sticks I tour on anymore
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Thanks everyone! Such great responses from all of you thanks for understanding my first world dilemas.

I decided to pull the trigger on a pair of 187 GPO's, not the UL ones but the MAP carbon ones N1CK was selling. Super helpful dude to do business with! Thank you N1CK! In the end I just don't want to be under gunned for when it's really good out there, I just love to go fast in pow and not worry too much, so that is the compromise I made. I also like what Grinch says about a functional design for more than just smooth pow. I have no illusions about my ski mountaineering prowess, so should be ok enough for dabbling in a bit of high angle fun once in a while. I figure they will be a little over a half pound lighter per ski than my current Squad 7's, so that should be helpful enough for my goals.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Sounds like a great choice. I skied a pair of the 192s once, and thought they were pretty fun in all conditions.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Why is it so impossible to find skis to demo? You would think that people would like to try out something before they drop that much money. Still thinking of moving on from my 186 V8's, like I said the main problem I have with them is the fact that it doesn't like to do bigger turns, it gets "squirrelly" on the weighted, downhill ski once out of it's radius.

I want a ski that can slarve out quick turns in the trees but able to lock into larger radius turns in the alpine. I've found a decent deal on a pair of 184 v-werks katanas but I'm little scared of some of the reviews. Some people say they are stiff and can punish you if you get lazy, others say they are easy to ski? I think I still ski with an older style and my favorite skis were Gotamas and Mantras from the 2006 era. Can anyone who's been on both make a comparison of the katana to the V8?

If u liked the volkl's from that era you will be totally fine on a v-katana
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

Quote Originally Posted by ulty_guy View Post
    If u liked the volkl's from that era you will be totally fine on a v-katana
    yeah, really easy to ski, but also great performance, powder, ice, wind affected, mank, whatever.

I just wanted to say thanks to all you guys for taking my first world problem ranting so seriously...I've had 3 days touring on the 187 MAP/carbon GPO's in flex 4 and I could not have nailed it any better for my needs.

Totally in love with these things, mounted 1 cm back is perfect as well. Can drive the tips to carve shallow pow and corn runouts, but such an awesome loose playful feeling of intuitive freedom when the pow is a little deeper. Feels like such a perfect match for my boot binding combo as well, not having that feeling of too much ski for the dynafits either. They are adequate for shit egresses. Sure they are not the lightest pow skis ever but they are the perfect weight and flex for me and my skiing style honestly so couldn't be happier.

Have been reluctant to drink the Praxis koolaid but I am fully on board now! It's not going to happen this year, but excited to have new first world problems of the highest order to deal with around special order time next season, woo hoo!
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Why is it so impossible to find skis to demo? You would think that people would like to try out something before they drop that much money. Still thinking of moving on from my 186 V8's, like I said the main problem I have with them is the fact that it doesn't like to do bigger turns, it gets "squirrelly" on the weighted, downhill ski once out of it's radius.

I want a ski that can slarve out quick turns in the trees but able to lock into larger radius turns in the alpine. I've found a decent deal on a pair of 184 v-werks katanas but I'm little scared of some of the reviews. Some people say they are stiff and can punish you if you get lazy, others say they are easy to ski? I think I still ski with an older style and my favorite skis were Gotamas and Mantras from the 2006 era. Can anyone who's been on both make a comparison of the katana to the V8?
    Bumping this back up. I've been on the V-werks Katanas since 2017 and I think I am ready to move on. I have really enjoyed them, but a recent boot change from a Maestrale from that same era to the new Backland XTD 120 has me not as in love anymore, for whatever reason. So back on the hunt for a pow touring ski. Ideally one that can handle some shit conditions that you find in the bc or traveling. I'm really liking the QST Blank in the resort which is only -8cm from true center vs -13ish cm on the Katanas.

So...185ish in length, somewhere around 1600-1800 grams per ski, 105-115 waist width? New Atomic Backland 109? Moment WC108 tour? Moment DWT?

I’ve been in love with the Billy Goat 118 Tour. Sadly looks like ON3P discontinued making them as a stock option. But highly highly recommend as a pow touring ski.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I’ve been in love with the Billy Goat 118 Tour. Sadly looks like ON3P discontinued making them as a stock option. But highly highly recommend as a pow touring ski.
    Second this, but I'm on the 108 tour

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Bg tour 110 here. It seems like a perfect touring ski. Every design characteristic is aimed at 3d snow of any possible variation .Surprised they dont have stock options anymore

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

Bumping this back up. I've been on the V-werks Katanas since 2017 and I think I am ready to move on. I have really enjoyed them, but a recent boot change from a Maestrale from that same era to the new Backland XTD 120 has me not as in love anymore, for whatever reason. So back on the hunt for a pow touring ski. Ideally one that can handle some shit conditions that you find in the bc or traveling. I'm really liking the QST Blank in the resort which is only -8cm from true center vs -13ish cm on the Katanas.

So...185ish in length, somewhere around 1600-1800 grams per ski, 105-115 waist width? New Atomic Backland 109? Moment WC108 tour? Moment DWT?
    Are the Blanks too heavy? What length are you on and could you go one length shorter?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Are the Blanks too heavy? What length are you on and could you go one length shorter?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yeah, I'd say they're too heavy for me and my average touring day, they're about 2300 grams. I ski the 186 and the next size down is 178, which seems too short.

I really like my ON3P woodsman 110 tour. Went with 182 as they are true length and have been really happy with them.

Majesty Havoc 110 Carbon.

Extremely intuitive. Not super light, but feels much more manageable on the skin track than numbers might suggest.

Skis pow, crust, and the crap you need to negotiate in between extremely well.

Surprisingly, they’ve replaced my DWTs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gonna recommend the Heritage Labs BC113 here. Just a bit under 1800g per ski in 187, and hilariously fun in all conditions I've skied them so far. I have way fewer days this year than I'd like, and it usually takes me a bit of time to really get along with a ski, but it was pretty much love at first sight with those. They remind me of a less unwieldy and more versatile Lotus120. They work really well at speed, as you'd expect from a bigger ski, and the tip feels impossible to bury no matter how much you lean into it. My first day on them in good snow I skied a line that has a few blind rollers with some shrubbery to negotiate, couldn't believe how fast I could switch between huge opened turns and super fast brush-dodging high speed wiggles. The character of the ski changes completely if you switch from being upright and letting them run to really leaning into the tip and driving the ski hard. I didn't expect the shape and profile to be conducive to GS turns, and I don't know that they'd be ideal for railing groomers, but the ability to really close your turns is there if you want it. I really want to see how they work in dense pow or spring conditions (backcountry groomers).

One thing I really surprised me is how good they feel in nasty chunder. I came out of Maybird a couple week ago in very tracked mashed potatoes/bumped out brushy summer trail, and I was shocked how maneuverable they felt. Guess the reverse camber makes them super easy to pivot on a dime, and the soft tip will soak up anything that hit it without deflecting. I usually dread these exits after a big day and cooked legs when I'm on bigger skis, they make me feel like a passenger. This year I'm fat and weak to make matters worse, but I actually had fun charging out of there, felt better than on my narrow skis.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    I really like my ON3P woodsman 110 tour. Went with 182 as they are true length and have been really happy with them.
    I have the 187 Woodsman 110 tour and also the 187 Billy Goat 118 tour. I really love them both. The BG is noticeably better in soft snow, especially on landings and going mach schnell in soft snow. The Woodsman is noticeably better for icy entrances and steep, sketchy snow, at least for how I ski.

I would pick up a 182 WDT110 if I could find a pair.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Gonna recommend the Heritage Labs BC113 here. Just a bit under 1800g per ski in 187, and hilariously fun in all conditions I've skied them so far. I have way fewer days this year than I'd like, and it usually takes me a bit of time to really get along with a ski, but it was pretty much love at first sight with those. They remind me of a less unwieldy and more versatile Lotus120. They work really well at speed, as you'd expect from a bigger ski, and the tip feels impossible to bury no matter how much you lean into it. My first day on them in good snow I skied a line that has a few blind rollers with some shrubbery to negotiate, couldn't believe how fast I could switch between huge opened turns and super fast brush-dodging high speed wiggles. The character of the ski changes completely if you switch from being upright and letting them run to really leaning into the tip and driving the ski hard. I didn't expect the shape and profile to be conducive to GS turns, and I don't know that they'd be ideal for railing groomers, but the ability to really close your turns is there if you want it. I really want to see how they work in dense pow or spring conditions (backcountry groomers).

One thing I really surprised me is how good they feel in nasty chunder. I came out of Maybird a couple week ago in very tracked mashed potatoes/bumped out brushy summer trail, and I was shocked how maneuverable they felt. Guess the reverse camber makes them super easy to pivot on a dime, and the soft tip will soak up anything that hit it without deflecting. I usually dread these exits after a big day and cooked legs when I'm on bigger skis, they make me feel like a passenger. This year I'm fat and weak to make matters worse, but I actually had fun charging out of there, felt better than on my narrow skis.
    Ah, these weren’t on my radar at all, thanks. Just checked the HL website and it looks like next years is a BC110 in a 186. That could fit the bill. Can I wait till next fall is the question….

Ah, these weren’t on my radar at all, thanks. Just checked the HL website and it looks like next years is a BC110 in a 186. That could fit the bill. Can I wait till next fall is the question….
    110 could be a solid all rounder option, albeit a bit on the fat side.
    Can't believe Marshal would only make the 113 for year. Should have stockpiled!!
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

It would be really hard to find a ski as good and versatile as the vw katanas.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk