Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    But what do I do to scorn people filling their 8th-hand German imports with E-83 at the pump? Verbally insult them?

That isn't very WASPy.
    Get a cooler hobby? You seem kinda clever, I'm sure you'll figure something out.

letting this thread turn into a pissing match on octane, your all doing it wrong.

I am here to post in this important thread.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

How bout standing in a quad lift line, and there are 3 sets of doubles directly in front of you and they don't pair up to move things along.

I typically pull the passive aggressive move and talk really loudly about how doubles should pair up.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    whys is dex startin bennies threads?
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I could be wrong I could be right

May the road rise with you
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    i just step up to the first available double in that quad line, then start looking for a triple to squeeze up to. lots of folks think i'm doing it wrong
    Oh if I see a double with other doubles behind them being stupid, and my groups only a double I just push forward saying 'scuse me and move up. If you're doing it wrong I can't help. It's too late.

More thread drift, but it's really difficult to understand what's going on with a lot of people in lift lines. You have to try to imagine how it is for people who have never skied before and tourists who ski once a year. To them the whole ski area is probably more like an amusement park or something than anything else, and the idea that people are going to be upset if they don't load efficiently just never occurs to them. Of course if you ski at uncrowded areas it's not much of a concern, but it can be frustrating in certain situations. I do try to avoid liftline rage, though.

More doing it wrong: condoms.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    whys is dex startin bennies threads?
    They put a hot wire to his head
    Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    I could be wrong I could be right

May the road rise with you
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    They put a hot wire to his head

Anger is an energy
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Fine. Tell it to Click and Clack, the American Petroleum Institute, and just about everyone else qualified to understand/explain this stuff.

Because that's what it does--it adjusts the timing on the spark so that the fuel doesn't ignite prematurely which is why you used to get 'knock' (and don't anymore). That's what it's designed to do, and it works.

From the Car Talk site listing myths about premium fuel:

Myth:
    Using regular gas in a car designed for premium will definitely damage the engine.

We don't believe that any modern engine that claims to require premium will be damaged by using regular unleaded judiciously. Neither do any of the sources we've checked with - including the American Petroleum Institute, the American Engine Rebuilders Association - even a chemist (who would rather go unnamed) at a major gasoline company.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/premium-vs-regular-0

So stop doing it wrong.
    But not the manufacturers. Buy hey, old cars are just like new cars, right?

How about people who roll a stop sign, then stop in the intersection to contemplate the unknown.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Don't see your point--this whole thing has been about new cars that can change the timing. Old cars that require premium should get the high octane. Why the manufacturers claim new cars need premium is a bit of mystery, but it's obvious why the oil companies make their claims.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    How about people who roll a stop sign, then stop in the intersection to contemplate the unknown.
    similar
    people at 4 way stops that wait for the other cars to be completely driving away before they initiate their turn.

Don't see your point--this whole thing has been about new cars that can change the timing. Old cars that require premium should get the high octane. Why the manufacturers claim new cars need premium is a bit of mystery, but it's obvious why the oil companies make their claims.
    Get over it. High compression motors need high octane. Just because it's a high compression motor doesn't mean it's a performance car. So many cars today are that way for fuel economy or emissions req's. Kind of like why we need to use 0W-20 full synthetic oil because we have variable valve timing and other high tech goodies under the hood the require microscopic particle sizes so things don't clog up. I ran one tank of 89 in my car out of curiosity and got almost 5mpg less than usual and it ran like shit at anything above an idle.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    i just step up to the first available double in that quad line, then start looking for a triple to squeeze up to. lots of folks think i'm doing it wrong
    My favorite technique. So much faster than the singles line.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Get over it. High compression motors need high octane.
    Yeah. No. They don't. You may believe they do, but the facts seem to prove otherwise. I could provide more evidence, but I feel like you're already ignoring what's already been posted. You could figure this out by googling for 5 minutes or so.

Just because it's a high compression motor doesn't mean it's a performance car.
    Right. So what?

So many cars today are that way for fuel economy or emissions req's.
    Show me anything that proves octane affects emissions, please. I just don't know why that would be remotely true and have never heard of that.

Kind of like why we need to use 0W-20 full synthetic oil because we have variable valve timing and other high tech goodies under the hood the require microscopic particle sizes so things don't clog up.
    No, it's not like that at all. Two completely different things--but I believe that what you're referring to is similar to another one of the octane myths the Car Talk guys list on the site.

I ran one tank of 89 in my car out of curiosity and got almost 5mpg less than usual and it ran like shit at anything above an idle.
    Then there's something wrong with your car. Again, I had a turbo car (you actually have seen the car) that Subaru recommended 91 for, which I followed for some time. After understanding that it's basically marketing hype I switched and found essentially zero difference--yes, the performance was very slightly affected (I would really only notice if I tried to gun it up a steep hill), but fuel economy was unchanged.
    [quote][//quote]

Tell it to Click and Clack.....

"We don't believe that any modern engine"
    How long will it be before Click and Clack's advice about "modern engines" is of historical interest or humorous value only?

It has to be fairly soon?

...and while it may not have a hudge relevance to road cars (yet) the cutting edge of internal combustion engine and gasoline design (F1) is about running engines at the very edge of knock, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    How long will it be before Click and Clack's advice about "modern engines" is of historical interest or humorous value only?
    Is that a trick question? Something change about internal combustion since the dark days of 2009?

It has to be fairly soon?
    Sure.

...and while it may not have a hudge relevance to road cars
    Or any relevance.

(yet) the cutting edge of internal combustion engine and gasoline design (F1) is about running engines at the very edge of knock, all the time.
    I think you have this discussion confused with the 'I'm building my own F1 car at home and need 100 octane fuel' thread.
    [quote][//quote]

Feel free to push your way onto the gondola with me, you're likely going to get high and have a fun ride up.

People turn into fuckig morons in airports. They could be the smartest people in real life, but once they enter the airport doors they become bubbling fucking idiots. How do you not know you need your ID and boarding pass at security??? You've been in line for a while, see everyone else with their shit ready to go and yet still need to search frantically in every fucking bag, pocket, purse etc. Figure your shit out, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post
    Feel free to push your way onto the gondola with me, you're likely going to get high and have a fun ride up.
    Yeah, but if you're Canadian it doesn't count, and you're probably not one of the bro douches who believes his crew is entitled to a private gondy. They're still doing it wrong.
    [quote][//quote]

going down a tgr rabbit hole again checking this vital thread with a stack of work orders in front of me.... I'm doing it wrong!!!!

That's actually a pretty good one--how does one do it wrong on TGR? I'll start: getting upset about Greg from AZ. It's awesome when it happens, but clearly people are doing it wrong.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post

People turn into fuckig morons in airports. They could be the smartest people in real life, but once they enter the airport doors they become bubbling fucking idiots. How do you not know you need your ID and boarding pass at security??? You've been in line for a while, see everyone else with their shit ready to go and yet still need to search frantically in every fucking bag, pocket, purse etc. Figure your shit out, you're doing it wrong.
    In that vein people who stand in a 10 minute line at a fast food counter and don't decide what they want (or even read the menu) until they get to the register.

People who still use paper checks at grocery stores ... and the subset of those morons that don't start filling them out until the total shows. You can put the fucking name of the store and your signature on the fucking thing beforehand. Same for the people that wait to dig out their cards (and coupons, and store club card) until the cashier stares at them. You can swipe as soon as the first fucking item is scanned, idiot.

Or any relevance.
    I said yet.

And are you really suggesting that developments made for success in racing haven't already and won't continue to filter down to road cars?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........