Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TeleMiriam View Post
    Going through the same thing. Doc has me on a conservative PT protocol. I'm 6 weeks post op. I've only been walking without crutches for a week. Tomorrow I am hoping to discontinue the brace. I can't drive because of excruciating patella pain and tracking issues. If I knew how horrible this was I wouldn't have had surgery. I had a stroke 3 years ago (ski accident - tore an artery in my neck) - that recovery was much easier. I also have no patience.
    Damn dude. I hope things turn around for you very soon. That patella pain sounds nasty. I am following some blogs and it seems like recovery time is very different depending on the person/injury/doctor. Keep us updated on your progress and keep your head up.

I hear you guys...I went through many periods of pain and weakness and frustration in my first few months post-op. It's not unusual. Do what you can PT-wise and remember that time is a huge factor...over time things heal and you will feel better and pain will go away. It's hard to believe that sometimes in those first few weeks and months, but it's true. Try to get happiness from the things you can do, like going down to the taproom and having a brew with friends.

Passing week 10 this week. I've been feeling stronger every pt session lately. Today I took my bike out around town. First time really getting outside for real activity since the injury.

Sorry to hear about your knee injury. I had my ACL rebuilt patella tendon graft about 15 years ago. Its been golden until last 4 months started to have some problems with meniscus not ACL. ACL still strong "no giving out feeling". Takes a good six months to heal from ACL but you should feel great. I might recommend an ACL brace for future skiing to prevent over extenstion pop that can happen. Skiing puts a lot of stress on the knee.

http://www.childrenshospital.org/cen...l-repair-trial
    This looks promising for the future. No graft, just a sponge soaked in your own blood to rest up against the ligament to allow it to bond

Allograft surgery tomorrow morn. Stoned on pain meds posts to follow!
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

I am nearing the 5 month mark after my surgery. I am trail running, mountain biking and continuing to work on all my PT. Feeling great but had a minor setback last week.

I saw my doc and he was pissed about my right leg's atrophy. I've been doing my PT but maybe lost some focus on the importance of the one legged exercises.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e62a1020-2a0a-455c-add7-555540cebfed.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	181433

Once I was able to start running and biking I probably put more energy into those activities rather than one legged squats etc etc. I am back hitting the PT hard again and don't want to create more imbalance.

My advice would be to hit the one-legged exercises super hard on your surgery leg to ward off atrophy. Onward!

On the couch listening to the quiet whirrrrr of the ice bucket engine pushing cool loveliness to my knee. I had my knee shaven by a very muscular man at 6AM this morning. It's been a helluva day and I am a stoned bejeezus right now.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Snowgage those look like Ted Ligety legs. JESUS! https://www.instagram.com/p/BB0skGCpSzm/

Fugitive glad your on your way.

One of the crazy things walking around gimped is all the people that come up to talk about their acl repairs and wanting to know about mine. A lot of people I already know or they know people I know. This is a big club and a small world! On Angel Collinson's instagram page somebody commented that her (not Angels) surgeon told her he/she only knows skiers that have torn their acl's and those that will.

Anyway week five. I have great extension but my flex has slowed to a crawl now slowly creeping past 122. My pt doesnt seem overly concerned. Walking around without a brace on level ground most of the time now. That means no dog on my sidewalk walks. I put the brace on for crushed gravel trails and to take the dog or anytime I am in garage working or yard which is a lot. My leg swells some and gets tired toward the end of the day especially in the brace but seems to be gradually getting stronger. Amazing how heavy the brace feels after going without it. I feel like I have to learn two different ways to walk (brace no brace) and switch between them as seemlessly as possible.

Snowgage, I had the same problem with losing quad muscle on my left leg, add I used a compex. In 6 weeks, I gained 2"on my quad. The contractions were much more powerful than anything I felt using a leg press with msgs weight.

What's the difference in circumference between left and right quad?

I passed week 12 yesterday. I've been biking around town and on dirt roads for a few weeks now. I rode a tiny section of easy trail last week as well. Still a little hesitant to stand up on my repaired knee and pumping through bumps at all is a no go.

Everyday activity feels pretty normal now and I really haven't had any complaints since I've started rebuilding quad strength. I got out on the pass on snowshoes a little over a week ago too. Nice to be on snow in some way again.

I also saw the doc last week and he seemed satisfied with everything. His comment after tugging on the acl was that it feels rock solid and maybe tighter than my good knee. He did also tell me no mountain biking until I'm 6 months out. I don't really think this is necessary, especially talking to others that have had the same injuries. Anybody else have experience with that?

You can mountain bike, just DON'T FUCK UP! Which could be as simple as reflexively putting a foot down at a sketchy moment. And as snowgage says, don't neglect single leg work just because you are having so much fun trail running and biking. That is the single worst mistake I made in my recovery and it led directly to a double plus ungood next ski season, and is probably why I still have some degree of patellafemoral pain each and every day I ski.

That said, I have still had 4 of the best ski seasons of my life since this injury, and when the pow is good and I am in the zone there is no pain and no problem.

I honestly believe that going through this process gives you perspective and insight into both your physical and mental game that CAN make you a better skier and give you the tools to enjoy the sport more than ever before despite not having a perfect knee.

Obviously with continued wear and tear this will change, but don't give up on the idea that your best days may still be ahead of you!
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Quote Originally Posted by HVskier View Post

I also saw the doc last week and he seemed satisfied with everything. His comment after tugging on the acl was that it feels rock solid and maybe tighter than my good knee. He did also tell me no mountain biking until I'm 6 months out. I don't really think this is necessary, especially talking to others that have had the same injuries. Anybody else have experience with that?
    Do exactly what your Doctor tells you. DO NOT MOUNTAIN BIKE. It just isn't worth the risk of messing up the knee again.

Also depends on how you define mountain biking...

I though I was stupid enough riding smooth moderate trails from 3-6 months, but last year this 21 yr old kid I know was out doing fairly big trail rides with a shriveled up quad and swollen knee at like 10-12weeks! I just shook my head when he showed me his leg. Young dumb and fulla cum I guess. He turned out fine though and has been crushing it at skiing and biking again.

But honestly you are just relying on pure luck to not completely fuck yourself when it comes to riding much more than town trails or bike paths in that roughly 3 to 6 month window.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

I am following someone on instagram that is riding a bike with permission at one month.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    I am following someone on instagram that is riding a bike with permission at one month.
    They're getting some dangerous advice then

On day 4 post op. Took all my bandages off and took a shower. Goddammit that's what it feels like to be human again. Laying in bed with no knee brace on and bending my knee a couple inches each way per Dr's orderz. Fuck that's sketchy. But feels good. Bout time to wrap the whole deal up again and move to the couch. Trying to ween off the percs today wish me luck.
    Bunny Don't Surf

ACL, Nerve Pain, Looking forward

Just found this thread and am Grateful.

ACL popped and MCL tore when skiing thigh deep steep trees a month ago. It was an incredible day that started me laughing out loud and left me swearing a blue streak. My doc prescribed 3 weeks of "Pre-Hab" before the surgery and I am hoping the time was well spent.

I had surgery on Monday and things were going ok until yesterday when the percosets started to make me sick and my shin, ankle and foot started to rage in what I am interpreting as nerve pain -- burning under the skin but numb on the surface . Icing seems to be the only solution.

I find a lot of relief when I can strap into the Continuous Passive Motion Machine. I am looking forward to getting started with my PT again. I may be almost 50 but I am hoping to be skiing this coming season.

Good luck war horse you had surgery day before me. Nerve pains does not sound good. My Dr gave me an anti nausea to go with the percs although I didn't have to use them. Maybe ask for some?

Day 5 post op. Think Im done with the percs. Vitamin I and ice from here out. Getting ariund the house pretty good with no cruches. Followup dr appointment monday and first pt tuesday. Went to two lax games for my daughter today and although I was sitting the whole time it is pretty sore now. Drove the truck today too so it's a relief that I can do it. Aiming for a light duty work return on wed which will be 8 days post op hope that's not too aggressive. I sit down all day and shuffle between meetings so I'm thinking it should be ok.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Quote Originally Posted by snowgage View Post
    I am nearing the 5 month mark after my surgery. I am trail running, mountain biking and continuing to work on all my PT. Feeling great but had a minor setback last week.

I saw my doc and he was pissed about my right leg's atrophy. I've been doing my PT but maybe lost some focus on the importance of the one legged exercises.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e62a1020-2a0a-455c-add7-555540cebfed.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	181433

Once I was able to start running and biking I probably put more energy into those activities rather than one legged squats etc etc. I am back hitting the PT hard again and don't want to create more imbalance.

My advice would be to hit the one-legged exercises super hard on your surgery leg to ward off atrophy. Onward!
    Friends don't let friends skip leg day?
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Haha.. Yeah friends don't let friends skip leg day on their atrophied, surgery leg.

@rod9301 - there is about 1 inch of difference between legs..

It's been weird, when I am doing a bunch of reps on my surgery leg, I don't get much of a muscle burn. When I do the same reps on my good leg, I get that strong burn in my quad. Maybe its just part of recovering from atrophy?

I rode some burlier downhill yesterday. Surprising how intense riding down roots and rocks is with my impaired leg. I wore my brace and was super careful.

5.5 month post-op

Quote Originally Posted by snowgage View Post
    It's been weird, when I am doing a bunch of reps on my surgery leg, I don't get much of a muscle burn. When I do the same reps on my good leg, I get that strong burn in my quad. Maybe its just part of recovering from atrophy?

5.5 month post-op
    Only 6 weeks post op but I experience exactly the same thing and commented to my PT lady just that last Friday. Just doing squats and trying to favor the bad leg my good leg starts burning but nothing in the weak quad.

It's been a couple weeks since I've had permission to walk around without the brace. Things are getting more natural. I'm hammering the stair step exercises and squats with the fit ball etc. I can pretty much walk normal speed if I put my mind to it.

Day 6 post op update. Dr released me for work and pt. He's very happy with my progress. Said I can walk around house no brace but crutches. Move it as much as I'm comfortable. The body will tell me when Im pushing it too much. Said it's up to me and my PT now. First PT tomorrow at day 7 post op. Oh and don't drive your truck with your brace on silly boy, that makes your knee hurt. Take it off and relax and drive!
    Bunny Don't Surf

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Only 6 weeks post op but I experience exactly the same thing and commented to my PT lady just that last Friday. Just doing squats and trying to favor the bad leg my good leg starts burning but nothing in the weak quad.
    Funny, that's exactly what I experienced too. I do a lot of ankle-weight exercises, and I can do more reps without burn on my weak leg than on my uninjured leg. But when I'm skiing or biking, I notice more burn on the injured leg, so I assume it's building muscle in the weak leg even though I'm using both legs. Maybe not as fast as the one-leg squats, but it's got to be doing something. Biking/hiking/climbing/skiing is how we all got these leg muscles in the first place, right?

11 days post op. 2 pt sessions down. Pt is very impressed with where I am. 90 deg flex, -10 extension. Very little pain. Walking with no crutches. Doing pt at gym tonight myself.
    Bunny Don't Surf