Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    I went barefooting last week at about 7.5 months out. I couldn't help myself. It was cold and I was in a wetsuit when I really should have brought the drysuit and it felt very sketchy but the adreneline rush was worth it fkna I felt good later. With my knee cold those side forces were scary and I felt all of them. After that short run with all the guys in the boat looking very worried I decided I needed to add something to my recovery so I went home and ordered a Bosu Pro. I've been doing a ton of squats on that thing with it upside down and jumping on and off of the ball. Anybody else use one? It was front and center when I was still in PT. I like the variable forces it puts on my legs.

Like with anything confidence in the knee is everything. It feels great I guess until I venture into uncharted territory. I've really never been someone that enjoys jogging but I do now because the progress is coming so fast and I am completely confident in my knee (while jogging) and maybe just the fact that I can run again is enough to make it exciting.

Chestnut finally opened up this past weekend with the arrival of cold weather and I skied just ten days shy of 9 months. I was really nervous going in but it felt great. I was Mr. Hippy turn and couldn't keep up with the crew that I usually lead but skied really hard with my six year old daughter/ripper chick in the making. Other than really sore calves I feel great and look forward to stepping things up on the slopes and regaining my confidence and hopefully not being part of this years acl class. I normally tele most of the time here in the Midwest but for now I am sticking to the fixed heel program.

Nice man, glad to hear it. It's a great feeling when you get back on skis after ACL repair--kind of a renewed appreciation for everything. Have a great season.

I was thinking about that today. I'm trying to convince my Dad to get a hip replacement. I am going to try and convey to him, there is no feeling like getting back up after being knocked down, there is no shot in the ass like it. Sure I know with the meniscus they cut out of my knee it will be a piece of shit long before it should have been...But each of the succeeding 5 years have been better than the last, and I don't know if I ever would have had the same fire if I never had something take me down so hard for the better part of a year and a half. My attitude about skiing was...incomplete. There were things missing in my love for skiing.

There is something about it that changes your perspective and never lets you take a moment for granted. Something that brings the mind and body closer together, and really makes you focus like never before on ironing out your habitual flaws and inefficient body mechanics, I swear. Maybe I never would have found my "center". Never would have stopped flapping my arms around and truly quieted my upper body. I never would have learned to have actual !fun! in the moguls.

I just thought I would share that with thought with you all tonight. It may sound crazy, but as the years go by, I find myself going from thinking "I wish I could take back that one fucking mistake, that one second I wasn't paying attention to my feet"...To: "I wouldn't trade that dipshit gaper moment for anything on earth".

We'll see though, give me another 5 years on that to be sure.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Nice man, glad to hear it. It's a great feeling when you get back on skis after ACL repair--kind of a renewed appreciation for everything. Have a great season.
    Thanks, I will certainly be giving it the old college try. It does have a renewed freshness and it is nice to be able to approach the slope without the sense of rush/urgency that was my normal modus operandi. Apres glow was sorely missed -skiing has always been my go to happy drug, summer and winter so it is good to have it back in the medicine cabinet.

I think realizing how transitory and fleeting it can be leads to a deeper appreciation. Having my number called for what was really my first serious injury was somehow more troubling than I believed it would be and I am still grappling with how that will effect my skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    I was thinking about that today. I'm trying to convince my Dad to get a hip replacement. I am going to try and convey to him, there is no feeling like getting back up after being knocked down, there is no shot in the ass like it. Sure I know with the meniscus they cut out of my knee it will be a piece of shit long before it should have been...But each of the succeeding 5 years have been better than the last, and I don't know if I ever would have had the same fire if I never had something take me down so hard for the better part of a year and a half. My attitude about skiing was...incomplete. There were things missing in my love for skiing.

There is something about it that changes your perspective and never lets you take a moment for granted. Something that brings the mind and body closer together, and really makes you focus like never before on ironing out your habitual flaws and inefficient body mechanics, I swear. Maybe I never would have found my "center". Never would have stopped flapping my arms around and truly quieted my upper body. I never would have learned to have actual !fun! in the moguls.

I just thought I would share that with thought with you all tonight. It may sound crazy, but as the years go by, I find myself going from thinking "I wish I could take back that one fucking mistake, that one second I wasn't paying attention to my feet"...To: "I wouldn't trade that dipshit gaper moment for anything on earth".

We'll see though, give me another 5 years on that to be sure.
    Thanks for that. Reverb felt.

Would like to add to this thread and provide my insight. I am currently out from broken femur and distal femur cartilage loss, I have had 3 surgeries and gotten my range of motion back 100% 3 times in 6 months with out walking.

First of all, consider stem cell therapy, no its not bullshit, haters are going to hate, but Ive spent 4 months researching it and the advancements have been amazing the past 5 years alone. BMI, overall weight, and age does play a factor as well as diet, but when those things are aligned, then you get results.

Blood Flood Restriction Therapy - this is what Bode Miller and many NFL players are using. It is revolutionary and can cut therapy recovery times in half if not by majority. I will be undergoing that at Vail Valley and i am very lucky to have it under my insurance. If you look in KAATSU machine, ask you therapist if they provide this service. The benefits can be incredible.

After being on crutches for 6 months, I can honestly say rehab 100% mental. Do not waste a day, avoid alcohol, keep your leg moving. Getting strength back is dedication. I will keep everyone update where I am even though it is not an acl tear but actually much much worse so hopefully that provides some inspiration.

Maybe I should start the 2017 thread?

ACL & MCL. Yay.
    Last edited by Shorty_J; 01-19-2017 at 08:31 PM.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Bummer dude vibes.

Anyone got advice for mcls? Took a bad fall, banged my knee up pretty good. X-ray says nothing broken and acl appears to be fine. Not much instability or buckling, knee is just very stiff and swollen, can't bend it very much. Orthopedic appointment later this week...

Unhappy Advice 2 ops and still feels unstable

Hello guys first post looking for advice about my ACL reconstructions

I first blew it out snowboarding in November 2014 took a year to get the op in December 2015 had auto-graft from hamstrings. Recovered quickly and re-gained range of motion full range of Motion in just less than a month if memory serves me well. Was walking without crutches within 3 weeks.

But I could tell that it was not a success within a month, me and my physio performed an anterior draw test amongst other test and the tibia moves excessively forward compared to the other leg witch hardly moves at all.

Soon saw my surgeon and he says there was maybe a 15% improvement from pre-op. Told me to keep up my physio and come back in another five months to see how things have improved. Was very into my physio actively enjoyed it cycled a lot weight-bearing was fine but the knee would often buckel/luxate.

life happens and I moved away from home witch delayed things a lot as i had ton swiched GP for other Health reasons.

After all the work in I did physo I still had this 8-10mm movement in my tibia when performed draw test and an unstable knee prone to buckel. THEN STUPIDLY IN APRIL 2015 I DID A BACKFLIP on a slippy trampoline at a house party, the first flip went okay overrotated a bit but got back to my feet. The second backflip I landed and the knee buckled instant pain but I was drunk so tighten my knee brace and carried on with the party even if limping.

I was in pain for a two weeks but could still cycle and walk with a limp.

After moving back home and having an MRI confirmed that I had blown my hamstring ACL reconstruction graft to SPAGHETTI, in my eyes I'd only fucked something that was already broken in the first place.

Surgeons assistant advise me to have alloygraph because it was the best option rather than a patella like I wanted/queried or anyother options didnt realy feel like a had much choice in the matter, I Felt less like a consultation more like an order of the surgeons assistant (I'm sure he was a Consultant maybe not a surgeon tho). The reason I would've Preferred a patella as a friend has had great success with one and his back playing rugby and snowboarding.

TODAYS DATE
    Had my second surgery a week ago now this time with allograft

So a week has passed since my operation and again I recovered extremely quickly almost walked out the hospital use the crutches for three days although I didn't really need them passed the 2ed but I thought I best play it safe.

I've been focusing on reducing swelling and range of motion very limited strength building exercises as I'm only a week in. Things are going well a little to well in my opinion. I feel like my knee is still too loose. My good leg can reach my bum and the leg that was operated on a week ago is only 8 inches away from my arse so almost full flexion within a week straightening the leg is not a problem either.

I trided today a draw test and I can still move tibia 5 mm or more, I know draw test are not the be all and end all of a stable knee. I can't help feeling like im back to square 1 (2 years ago)

I'm just looking for anyone else in a similar situation with advice for me that has hopefully returned to sport snowboarding is the dream but I'd settle for being to run without fear.

Too Long Didn't Read Section

• Complete rupture of ACL snowboading root tear of meniscus
    • Hamstrings reconstruction year later some cartilage trimmed
    • Surgeon agreed operation was not successful as he would've liked
    • Four months later blew out the reconstructed ACL
    • January 24 2017 alloy graph reconstruction
    • knee still feels like it could be loose
    • Want to know if anyone else has managed tightening of the knee or return to sport with a similar allograft situation

Thanks Vinnie

Vibes man. That's a shitty first post. Others here will be able to give you advice on your knee. My only helpful suggestion is that you figure out how to change your username so we can identify you. Heal up, dude.

My acl allograft is feeling loose at 9 months post op. I think I went to hard to fast even with a knee brace. Will be shopping for a new dr soon. Hamstring or patellar that is the question.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Vinnie, maybe you're being too aggressive with the range of motion and putting stress on the graft tissue and anchor sites?

What does the PT say regarding the ROM and what you should be doing at this point in the protocol?

Have you followed up with the surgeon?

I'm not a doctor. I'm just a fellow ACL recon sufferer.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Seeing physio tomorrow

Getting to see the physio tomorrow morning and the surgeon on the 13th of this month. I'm going to ask the physio to perform some tests for me, see what she makes of it. Wise words Spanky I never put myself in pain when doing my ROM exercises and I don't take painkillers before hand so not to numb myself.

I have been slacking when it come to RICE (rest ice compression elevation) except for the E part but my swelling is not bad and scars healing nicely, no doubt my knee will be an improvement than it was pre-op I can tell that already but settling for another minor improvement is disheartening.

There's something really nagging me and thats the fact that in one of the consultations with my actual surgeon he said that the placement of the tunnels may not of been optimal. When I asked about this in a following up consultation with his assistant he assured me that new tunnels get drilled and it was irrelevant, but I've read up that is not true.

I'll keep you guy updated thanks for the support didn't expect so much so quick.

My Username should be vinniem767 now

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    My acl allograft is feeling loose at 9 months post op. I think I went to hard to fast even with a knee brace. Will be shopping for a new dr soon. Hamstring or patellar that is the question.
    I posted the below quote in the 2015 thread. BTW there's a lot of good information in that thread, I would suggest anybody looking at ACL surgery take a scroll through it. (Almost two years from surgery now and I am very happy with the results.)

I went with hamstring based on my surgeon's recommendation (I'm same age as you). But I used my own tendon to avoid possible complications or reaction with a donor graft. I guess my philosophy was "heal thyself" if possible. Also I think the long-term success rate is higher when you use your own hamstring (6% failure vs. 17% for allograft was what the doc told me), although short term recovery time can be longer due to having to rehab your hamstring and be careful not to F it up. However, my doc said that studies show hamstring strength can be recovered close to 100 percent over 18-24 months (but enough for skiing in 6-8 months, and according to him very few people need all their hamstring strength anyway unless they are an Olympic sprinter).

No perfect answer to the graft question--I have many friends with a variety of grafts that seem to be working fine. It largely depends on what your surgeon recommends and is most comfortable with. I don't have any long-term results to share, but I feel pretty darn good two and a half weeks after surgery. A month of prehab before surgery helped a LOT, I think. Good luck with it.

Young and foolish but determined

So im a week and 3 days after my allograft surgery and I'm in more pain than I was 3–4 days ago. Can't put it down to any event particular, but my range of motion has decreased and i've had to use my crutch.

So I'm taking my physios and yall advice taking a very very slow and sticking to the very basic exercises and hope I didn't do too much irreparable damage by going to hard to fast, I was never in any pain so assumed I was good young and foolish I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by vinniem767 View Post
    So im a week and 3 days after my allograft surgery and I'm in more pain than I was 3–4 days ago. Can't put it down to any event particular, but my range of motion has decreased and i've had to use my crutch.

So I'm taking my physios and yall advice taking a very very slow and sticking to the very basic exercises and hope I didn't do too much irreparable damage by going to hard to fast, I was never in any pain so assumed I was good young and foolish I guess.
    Don't worry too much about the pain at this point, everybody feels pain early on. The physical therapy and everything is very, very important, but also important is time. Time will heal.

You'll go through some rough patches over the next few months, lots of ups and downs, and you gotta roll with it. Sounds like you have the right attitude--do what you can in rehab, don't try to be Adrian Peterson and get back to full strength in a few months because it ain't gonna happen. Just keep working at it, and when it starts to hurt, stop. You'll get there. Keep your spirits up best you can. Get some good books and find some good Netflix series to watch, drink a few beers at the taproom with your pals...stuff you can do that will help pass the time while you heal. Good luck man.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Don't worry too much about the pain at this point, everybody feels pain early on. The physical therapy and everything is very, very important, but also important is time. Time will heal.

You'll go through some rough patches over the next few months, lots of ups and downs, and you gotta roll with it. Sounds like you have the right attitude--do what you can in rehab, don't try to be Adrian Peterson and get back to full strength in a few months because it ain't gonna happen. Just keep working at it, and when it starts to hurt, stop. You'll get there. Keep your spirits up best you can. Get some good books and find some good Netflix series to watch, drink a few beers at the taproom with your pals...stuff you can do that will help pass the time while you heal. Good luck man.
    Completely agree.

Typical pattern is to go to a workout/rehab. Feels great. Tired at end of workout but knee feels great and spirits are high. Wake up the next day and knee is stiff and you can barely walk. Wonder to yourself if you blew the graft. Realize you didn't do anything to hurt yourself. Soldier on.

I was in ACL class of 2015 (non-skiing) and haven't skied since for other reasons. I've rehabbed my knee and I'm lifting heavy again, so I'm not concerned with strength and I've plateaued at about 95% pre-injury flexibility. The doc got me set up with a heavy ass DonJoy Armor brace. I've used it doing some backyard football and it really slows me down, and I'm worried that it will mess me when skiing.

Anyone have experience skiing with one?
    Last edited by Katmai; 02-09-2017 at 10:37 AM.

I skied with braces on both legs, reconstruction on both ACL's, for about 10 years, and then stopped using them. I had my meniscus cleaned up last year by a US ski team doc and asked him about wearing braces. He basically said don't bother. Search online, lots of data for and against wearing them.

My doctor told me not to bother wearing one either so I don't. I hated wearing that brace.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    I skied with braces on both legs, reconstruction on both ACL's, for about 10 years, and then stopped using them. I had my meniscus cleaned up last year by a US ski team doc and asked him about wearing braces. He basically said don't bother. Search online, lots of data for and against wearing them.
    Thanks, man.

I've seen pros and cons to having the brace, but I'll bring it for sure and see how the knee feels. I get thinking on how miserable the surgery and rehab process was and I sure as fuck don't want to go through it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Katmai View Post
    Thanks, man.

I've seen pros and cons to having the brace, but I'll bring it for sure and see how the knee feels. I get thinking on how miserable the surgery and rehab process was and I sure as fuck don't want to go through it again.
    I've got a Don Joy brace, not sure how it compares to yours but it's a custom one my PT and doc recommended. I'm in my second year of skiing since surgery and still wear it. I don't think I really need to, but I don't mind it so I figure what the heck. No idea if it would actually do any good. I probably won't wear it next year.

Complete ACL Tear Left Knee

Hi-

34yo male, 26 years skiing. New to to forum and getting ready for a new ACL. I tore mine skiing Mary Jane Feb 2nd. New skis, was still feeling them out and fell in some moguls. Typical back seat to try to keep from falling forward and pop/crunch. I completely tore my ACL and there may be some damage to the lateral meniscus. My OS says it'll likely be a small suture to fix the meniscus if there is damage but it was hard to tell from the MRI.

I'm scheduled for surgery April 6th. I pushed it out a bit because I'm racing my mountain bike in Moab the end of March and I don't want to pull out of that. I've been training pretty hard for it and am completely mobile. In fact I finally got back on the indoor trainer today and I felt great. Pushed moderately for 1:15 and had no swelling or pain. Other than the obvious weakness during twisting motions I actually feel completely normal. the OS says I should be fine to race but that I need to exercise caution and good judgement. I don't want to find myself in a situation where I need to twist out of my clipless pedals on the left side. I'm right side dominant so I'm not worried. Also I plan to just ride the race with my buddies. I'm not in competition for a podium anyway so it'll be a fun supported event in Moab.

Planning on getting a patella tendon graft. the OS says It'll be better for my situation since cycling is my main sport and I want to retain my hamstring strength. After reading a lot about my graft choices I agree with him.

This isn't my first time with orthopedic surgery. I have screws in my hips from 2 surgeries when I was 15, used to pin the cartilage in place. I kinda know what I'm in for from a recovery standpoint and I trust the surgeon.

Anyway I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. I'll post more as it gets close to the surgery and I'll post the results from it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by spiff122 View Post

ACL blow out
    Damn, that's rough. Sorry to hear that.

You mentioned the patella tendon graft; my OS claimed that the graft is the most common option until about age 25, then the hamstring graft until about 50-55, then a cadaver above that age.

Anyway, beg/borrow/steal one of those ice water recirculators and make it your best friend post surgery.

good luck!