Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Thanks. Thats kind of what i am seeing, or if it does heal it does it so slowly that it gets damaged quicker than it can heal. Looks like i have lost 50% of my acl which to me seems like pretty much a guaranteed surgery. Hopefully i can get it done asap and be back for next winter!
    Will be posting in here a bit and am looking forward to hearing how everyone else is doing.
    I had to wait 6 weeks for surgery. Regardless of how long you have to wait, it is really important to strengthen the quad (bike, swim, gym, etc) and regain full range of motion. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by TeleMiriam View Post
    Glad you are progress well. Sorry about the plantar fasciitis...I got on the bike this week. It's has helped me in many ways.
    Stairmaster absolutely best workout for quad and cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Checkin in for all the new recruits. Have faith and work you ass off in PT. Had surgery for my tear back in May 2014 at 32, and still skiing and sending just as hard as I did before the accident. Heavy PT and a ton of biking had me skiing at 5mo and skiing powder and smaller cliffs at 6mo, back to full strength and skiing like I was before at 9mo. Can't stress the PT enough (and biking)! Post 3 months, per week, it was 3 days in the gym for 90min and ~150mi of road or ~60mi of mtn bike (starting at 4mo). Get after it!
    You nailed it. I had mine at 47, the PT saved my life and the dude is a life long friend now. I did it playing hoops, still running up and down at 52, full speed. Quads, quads, quads and agility training.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    I just got the acl diagnosis from the MRI this morning though I pretty much figured. 40 years of skiing hard summer and winter with no injuries that didn't go away on their own or at least fade into lumps and bumps that I ignore. I guess I was due. Complete ACL tear. I'm walking around with no pain and feel great but have been off work for two weeks because my job requires my knee to work 100 percent so I've had no choice but to go on FMLA and try to collect on my short term disability. Spending much much more time with my sweet little girl than normal since I work 3rd shift normally so that has been nice. I'm still kicking myself in the ass for the mistake I made that led to the fall that led to the injury and I know I need to let that go but it is hard. I guess I enter a new phase in life now and try to get my head around things.
    Never let the no pain fool you. Your ACL has attached itself to the wall of the joint, so it is not flapping which is what causes the pain. Biggest mistake people make is thinking it is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by HVskier View Post
    I passed week 6 post-op this week. Got the all good for weight bearing from the doc today. Had been doing some walking without crutches already in pt and doing some small weight bearing exercises.

The past week and a half has been pretty rough waiting for the go ahead. I started to get some painful tightness in my calf and started to develop some kneecap pain from disuse and quad atrophy. I had a small victory today though as I moved my clutch-equipped car around in the parking lot. Tried pressing the clutch a week ago and couldn't do it.

I'll be trying to ditch the crutches in the next couple days. Stairs are going to be scary. Onto building back quad strength now.
    Great news! I am four weeks behind you. I start partial weight bearing this week. I also developed kneecap pain (I had a hamstring graft) My therapist said the same thing you did - quad atrophy and lack of use.

Quote Originally Posted by fluid164 View Post
    Never let the no pain fool you. Your ACL has attached itself to the wall of the joint, so it is not flapping which is what causes the pain. Biggest mistake people make is thinking it is ok.
    Yeah he said it is still wedged in there and the mri showed it laying in there and so that is why I don't have pain. I get around really well with this hinged brace but impossible to make the mistake that everthing is okay when my knee feels so unstabil and I have some swelling and fluid.

My wife wanted me to go to Florida with her this weekend but I think I'm going to spend the money instead on a mountain collective pass for next year. I need some motivation right now.

After surgery, give yourself 8 months of strong, dedicated PT. Each month less than that and you double your chances of re-injury.

^^Yeah I'd say at least 8 months...I'm a year out and still don't have my muscle mass back, even though I hardly let a day go by without doing some type of workout, including over 30 days of skiing this year so far. My PT told me that it really takes two years to regain full strength when you have a hamstring graft, and she pointed to numerous professional athletes who had the hamstring graft who came back after a year and were so-so, but it took them two years to return to their previous high level.

At this point I view PT as a lifelong commitment. I'm not getting any younger so it can't hurt to keep those muscles toned with regular workouts, in addition to all the mountain activities.

Yeah he said it is still wedged in there and the mri showed it laying in there and so that is why I don't have pain. I get around really well with this hinged brace but impossible to make the mistake that everthing is okay when my knee feels so unstabil and I have some swelling and fluid.

My wife wanted me to go to Florida with her this weekend but I think I'm going to spend the money instead on a mountain collective pass for next year. I need some motivation right now.
    That sucks, uglymonkey. I spent today skiing with axebiker and he & I were talking about the day we met up with you last season. Heal up and come back out to Big Sky ! If you are ever out here solo you have a free sofa to crash on.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    That sucks, uglymonkey. I spent today skiing with axebiker and he & I were talking about the day we met up with you last season. Heal up and come back out to Big Sky ! If you are ever out here solo you have a free sofa to crash on.
    Thanks Harry! I'll heal up and be back at it eventually. I just have to keep my head up and that is tough since I can't work or ski right now. It is getting warm here and friends are getting the ski boats ready...tough knowing I am out for the summer months. That was a fun maggot meetup for sure.

Now researching the different types of acl graphs. Sounds like the hamstring or patello autographs have the best long term outcomes for highly athletic people under 45. I am 44 almost 45. The doctor seemed to think a donor acl would be fine in my situation but he said I had till surgery time to make up my mind. The getting back to work thing isn't as important as long term outcome since we can swing things fine on one income and my disability insurance so I am leaning hamstring autograph. I have had a bit of pain on the front of that knee pre injury so patella graph seems out. I feel like I need more guidance.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 03-14-2016 at 10:09 AM. Reason: I

I feel like I need more guidance.
    This has been the toughest thing for me. All the uncertainity. I recently went to the physio for a second opinion. The physio's are great around here (whistler) and are generally more upfront and very realistic.

I had a patellar graft done on my ACL in 2000 it has held up really well but definitely wear a knee leave stabilizer brace for skiing for extra insurance. My problem recently has been with my meniscus. Good luck on the PT. It gets better after 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by todobien View Post
    I had a patellar graft done on my ACL in 2000 it has held up really well but definitely wear a knee leave stabilizer brace for skiing for extra insurance. My problem recently has been with my meniscus. Good luck on the PT. It gets better after 6 months.
    My surgery was this afternoon. Surgeon also did another mag friend a few years ago and he gave me good report and beta. When I told him I wanted a patella autograph he seemed really stoked and that is what we did after some discussion...having the surgeon on the same page was huge. In recovery at 3 pm and on couch at 5 pm. Pain block still holding so no pain meds yet. Super stoked to have the first step out of the way and ready to start the rehab process. Also FKNA I have the best wife and friends. So much support.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 03-21-2016 at 11:39 PM.

4 weeks post op. I had a hamstring graft. Anyone have patellar pain? On the bike, patellar felt like it "got stuck" and wasn't tracking right.

Quote Originally Posted by TeleMiriam View Post
    4 weeks post op. I had a hamstring graft. Anyone have patellar pain? On the bike, patellar felt like it "got stuck" and wasn't tracking right.
    I had some of what you describe. The patellar wasn't tracking right and, exactly as you say, it was "stuck" with various attachment points holding it in place that weren't supposed to be there. My PT spent about thirty minutes massaging the kneecap, working it back and forth and up and down, then she really started moving it and we heard this audible "pop pop pop" as the attachment points released. After that the kneecap started tracking right and I never had that problem again (my PT also showed me how to move it around myself at home and keep it unstuck). Good luck! (P.S. I posted a video about patellar movement in the Class of 2015 thread...scroll through there and you should be able to find it.)

Day 2 post operation update. I didn't sleep at all the first night. Took a narco before bed that I didn't need and it didn't help me sleep. Yesterday the pain block wore off in my leg and that was wierd because my quad was twitching a lot but I slept great night 2. Took two more narcos that I probably didn't need just in case but now on advil only. All of the pain is now from the Patella area where the autograph is from. PT this morning they took off the wrap....she called my swelling moderate. Partial weight bearing walking with crutches and brace. 58 degrees of flex and I can push my knee down against the table but she told me not to push it today. Came home and did a full set of the pt exercises again which makes me feel like I have a purpose in life again.

Day 2 post operation update. I didn't sleep at all the first night. Took a narco before bed that I didn't need and it didn't help me sleep. Yesterday the pain block wore off in my leg and that was wierd because my quad was twitching a lot but I slept great night 2. Took two more narcos that I probably didn't need just in case but now on advil only. All of the pain is now from the Patella area where the autograph is from. PT this morning they took off the wrap....she called my swelling moderate. Partial weight bearing walking with crutches and brace. 58 degrees of flex and I can push my knee down against the table but she told me not to push it today. Came home and did a full set of the pt exercises again which makes me feel like I have a purpose in life again.
    yeah bud! get after it!

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I had some of what you describe. The patellar wasn't tracking right and, exactly as you say, it was "stuck" with various attachment points holding it in place that weren't supposed to be there. My PT spent about thirty minutes massaging the kneecap, working it back and forth and up and down, then she really started moving it and we heard this audible "pop pop pop" as the attachment points released. After that the kneecap started tracking right and I never had that problem again (my PT also showed me how to move it around myself at home and keep it unstuck). Good luck! (P.S. I posted a video about patellar movement in the Class of 2015 thread...scroll through there and you should be able to find it.)
    Thank you for the video and information and thanks for the info on what you did for sciatic pain. I had discectomy at L5/S1 in July and I've had some sciatic pain following ACL surgery too.

Hi Everyone! I am glad to hear everyone is progressing so well.

Hang in there UglyMoney... This first few weeks suck but once you can progress with the PT everything gets better.

I am 15 weeks out on my right knee hamstring autograph. Everything is going well and I am back on the road bike and running up to 3 miles. After the 12 week mark things got a lot better. I won't get on the MTB until later next month once I am more healed. Even though I could mountain bike, a crash could be disastrous so I am playing it safe.

Does anyone have experience riding a snowmobile post surgery? I was thinking of taking my snowmo out tomorrow and riding some easy trails. Deep down, this seems like a bad idea because I could totally fall off and jack my knee.

Quote Originally Posted by snowgage View Post
    Hi Everyone! I am glad to hear everyone is progressing so well.

Hang in there UglyMoney... This first few weeks suck but once you can progress with the PT everything gets better.

I am 15 weeks out on my right knee hamstring autograph. Everything is going well and I am back on the road bike and running up to 3 miles. After the 12 week mark things got a lot better. I won't get on the MTB until later next month once I am more healed. Even though I could mountain bike, a crash could be disastrous so I am playing it safe.
    That's great man and thanks. My wife is a big road biker and she is stoked to have me ride with her this summer since they told me no waterskiing/barefooting this year and I know two people who blew their repaired acls on the water by going back too soon so road biking it will be. Did you just get cleared to ride?

My second PT was this morning (day 5). Had 87 degrees of flex which was a big improvement from Wednesdays 58. I was able to walk slowly at 100 percent weight bearing and no brace. Couldn't quite make it all the way around on bike pedals but I was stoked to get on it. Really need to work on reactivation of my (formerly strong tele) quad...I can't help but think that coming into this with strong late season legs is helping. Knee was pretty sore by the time I made it home so advil and ice and another round of home pt this afternoon.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 03-25-2016 at 02:19 PM.

Guess I am now on Team ACL 2016.... Posted in here back in January after a knee pop at the bird. Ortho pulled on my knee, said acl was intact, prescribed pt and in a few weeks get back after which I did. Knee still felt wonky. Big jumps hurt but any other shredding was ok. Seemed like knee got progressively looser with more pain. Finally scheduled mri. Torn acl and medial meniscus tear. Season ender for me which means it's going to be a great late spring in the wasatch. No pain walking so I am pushing the surgery to late April after a fishing trip to montana. Think I am going cadaver allograft because my other knee came out so well with one. Seems everyone here goes autograph so I guess I won't be one of the cool kids haha. Start my pre pt tommorrow stationary bike, stepper and stabilizer ball here I come.

Good luck everyone! Next season will be here before you know it!
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Sorry to hear Fugitive. I had some false hope given from my ortho as well but at least I got the MRI ordered first thing and found out.

Day 10 today and things are improving quickly. PT told me to stop using my crutches since I was only pretending to use them then she opened the brace to 50 degrees so I can walk a little more normal and drive I am too tall to even get in the front seat of a car with a straight leg so this is huge. 102 degrees of bend but not quite to zero on the other end. Still can't make it all the way around on bike but very, very close. Horizontal squat machine felt awesome and stepping up onto block with bad knee first no brace. Still a lot of swelling but she told me I am doing very good. Long walks don't seem to increase the swelling but they balloon my spirit so that's my post pt program.

Went to PT on Friday expecting to crush but instead they handed me my ass on a platter. Went home a little down. Today though I felt strong enough to walk my dog on a leash (he likes to pull super hard) so I guess that is something to hang my hat on. Lots of ups and downs and patience required. I want to go on a 10 mile walk but know I can't.

Just got the ok from the doc to try and walk around with out my brace that i have had to heal my fractured tibial plateau. First time any kind of weight bearing with a bent leg in 7 weeks. Totally forgot how to walk. Starting PT tomorrow to see how I respond, then make a decision about surgery.
    Super stoked to be able to get on a stationery bike, and possibly get into some road riding soon!

Went to PT on Friday expecting to crush but instead they handed me my ass on a platter. Went home a little down. Lots of ups and downs and patience required.
    Going through the same thing. Doc has me on a conservative PT protocol. I'm 6 weeks post op. I've only been walking without crutches for a week. Tomorrow I am hoping to discontinue the brace. I can't drive because of excruciating patella pain and tracking issues. If I knew how horrible this was I wouldn't have had surgery. I had a stroke 3 years ago (ski accident - tore an artery in my neck) - that recovery was much easier. I also have no patience.