Page 1 of 77 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Eastside Conditions Thread

Looking like it may be time. Driving up next Friday. If it's not too dark by the time I get to Big Pine I will post up beta picks.
    Anybody Skinning yet ? How's Bloody looking ?

Agreed it's about time. Where you driving from?

thanks for this thread! one of , if not the best ski times i've had was up and down the eastside yrs ago.

hoping for you all a great season, you deserve it!

may get back there for a month or so this spring,

i hope you get the season you deserve!

Anyone been to VA Lakes since the last snow fall? Conditions?

Southern Sierra still thin but gets better from mammoth north. Bloody looked good before this last storm as did va lakes from the hwy. after 8 hrs in the car today on way home w kids I couldn't chance them waking up to check if rd was plowed or clear.

Agreed it's about time. Where you driving from?
    I live about 15 miles North of the Mexican Border. I really ,Really,Really like driving

Gimpy, thanks for the info. I understand the sleeping baby issue.

Thanks, that's good info on VA lakes. May go take a look Wednesday and if I do I will try to get pictures of coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Southern Sierra still thin but gets better from mammoth north. Bloody looked good before this last storm as did va lakes from the hwy. after 8 hrs in the car today on way home w kids I couldn't chance them waking up to check if rd was plowed or clear.

Saw some Facebook photos last week of a certain guidebook author and company skiing Bloody.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I skinned around the Warren Creek drainage off Tioga on Saturday (got to bypass the gate because I was looking for a lost dog). Depth was super variable back there, knee deep pow in some places and super bony in others. Stick to the bowls and couloirs.

ESAC stuff going on this weekend...
    http://www.esavalanche.org/support-y...alanche-center
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Got out to VA Lakes this past Wednesday 12/2/15. As variable as could be as far as conditions go. Ultimately the snowpack is thin and weak which came as no surprise. That said travel was fairly smooth. The road was open all the way to the trailhead parking area. Skinned from the car up towards Cooney Lake for the first lap. Heavily wind effected was the theme. From wind pressed powder in the gully proper to 6 inch wind slabs on rock on the steeper areas near the top. Here is a look at VA Pass, Our line, and a turn on said line.

We cruised back to the car, and after a break we went across the ditch for a lap on the moderate NE trees of South Peak. Very wind scoured above the tree line so we stopped more or less at the saddle. Decent snow with passable coverage. Should be good in there after another storm.

All and all a pretty good day with outstanding views. Overall skiing quality is definitely better on Carson Pass but hard to beat the eastside experience. Another foot or two may go a long way if the wind will cooperate.

Mono and Lundy Canyon:

Mt. Dana and a bit of coverage in the main couloir:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1359.jpg 
Views:	851 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	172939  
    Last edited by somethingclever...; 12-05-2015 at 10:30 PM.

No real evaluation, but things looked pretty thin all along the 395 corridor up to Mammoth.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Passed along everything in the dark on the way to Carson Pass. Good Snow around roundtop and waterhouse surprisingly still some fresh light faceshots.
    Hopefully the eastside will get some dumpage this week
    Thanks for the VL beta

Thanks, somethingclever.... I'm hoping things are significantly filled in by this time next week.

The southern Sierra still looks very thin, at least from the highway.
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

So . . . what's good in the Eastside after this last storm?

I looked at June and Mammoth's webpages and was slightly disappointed that they got less than Tahoe.

How are things skiing. was wondering if the classic couloir lines are in. Read the avie forecast and saw that things are going to the ground. Thinking about a January trip somewhere.
    off your knees Louie

Thoughts on what conditions around Bridgeport will be like this coming weekend? Deep slabs and wind-hammered snow? Sweet powder or packed powder?

^ you might have better luck asking Franz Klammer to ask his eastside Facebook friends like Molnar, etc. I could ping Howie if you'd like ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Thinking about checking it out on Wednesday. May go with VA lakes instead? I'll let you know what we find if we get down there.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Thoughts on what conditions around Bridgeport will be like this coming weekend? Deep slabs and wind-hammered snow? Sweet powder or packed powder?

ESAC report today does not sound promising. Especially with the wonderful conditions that still exist in the Tahoe area...

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    ESAC report today does not sound promising. Especially with the wonderful conditions that still exist in the Tahoe area...
    Exactly what I was thinking. Had a hair up my arse to go down there but the thought of leaving epic pow for wind hammered shit seemed silly.

I've unconsciously made it an annual tradition to go down there too early, optimistically expecting decent conditions and getting crap. I may or may not honor that tradition this weekend. (Alternative: Sierra Butte?)

Still planning on heading up.............................maybe

It's shitty.
    Last edited by UPGRAYEDD_2505; 12-30-2015 at 11:35 PM.
    I'll be the hyena, you'll see.