Page 4 of 77 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Anyone looking to poke around with day trips Mon-Wed? Obligations are out of town and I'll be heading south from Tahoe. Always more fun with a partner.
    Pick me pick me. I should have no kids or work on tuesday and no kids on wednesday, work at 4
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Pick me pick me. I should have no kids or work on tuesday and no kids on wednesday, work at 4
    Perfect. I even have new pants so I don't look like your twin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Anyone looking to poke around with day trips Mon-Wed? Obligations are out of town and I'll be heading south from Tahoe. Always more fun with a partner.
    I'll be at Twin Lakes in the Sawtooths somewhere Sat-Mon. Beta Light shelter. Likely solo, can't get anyone to commit thus far.

Skied the central gully/bowl/chute of Mt. Wood's east face yesterday from the road closure near Silver Lake. The south-facing hill to get to the first bench was mostly burnt out, so we took dry hiked Parker Lake Trail part of the way (maybe the first 1,000 vertical feet), which was fairly efficient. We were able to skin from there all the way to the summit. I think we dropped about 1:30, which was probably an hour or so later than ideal. The snow was surprisingly soft and wintery through the main gully/bowl/chute although variable enough that you couldn't totally let 'er rip. Below that, we got some fun corn for about 1,500' and were able to "ski" down to about 700 vertical feet above 158, where we rejoined the hiking trail and walked back to the car.

We certainly didn't hit it in perfect conditions, but it was a super fun day in near perfect weather and much better than the Tahoe shitshow back home. Oh, and somehow my camera got stuck in the wrong mode so a lot of my photos will look weird and abstract.

Gotta love Gardnerville gas prices. It was $.02 cheaper in the evening.

Mono in the morning.

We skied the center line, which while a little bony was easily negotiable. Mt. Wood is huuuge and reminds me of Shasta. That line is actually a giant bowl.

Skinning was efficient. Ski crampons made it easier for me, but my partner did well enough without.

Banner and Ritter in the background.

Descending. Here's where my photos get abstract because of whatever weird setting my camera was in.

It's not a real Eastside trip unless you have a solid schwack at some point.

Back to the Tahoe shitshow.

Excellent, looks like you skiing methane ice on Europa.

I was eying Mt Wood from Mammoth. Strange conditions for sure considering a week of high pressure and high temps. I guess it was the minimal wind and February sun angle, but the snow was good top to bottom at Mammoth when it should have been junk.

South of Mammoth things look marginal, at best.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Attachment 176894

Had plans to meet Jack Burton at twin lakes at 7am, the long drive to a comfy bed in Bridgeport got me a 9am start so I was solo.
    Went up the main canyon, patchy snow for the first 30 mins. Bushwhacked up little slide cyn entrance and up to kettle peak base.
    Sunday got up early and booted up the east couloir. Snow was chalky but pretty soft in spots.
    Got up and through to the summit block, couldn't figure out how to get up but finally made it.
    Ski down was fun. Today left early, slid down the bullet proof ice then bushwhacked again, then out.

A long day trip spread out over 3 days was nice and mellow and super fun

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1455607962.542847.jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	176895

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1455608069.316104.jpg 
Views:	475 
Size:	577.9 KB 
ID:	176896

Cool shot of your tent with the Hulk in the background.

Skied a prominent line out of McGee creek this past Tuesday (2/16). Overall coverage in the zone and looking to the North from the top of the line looked pretty darn good and this was prior to the Wednesday/Thursday event. That said lower elevation solar aspects were pretty burnt out but the stuff across the canyon on Aggie looked really nice and likely to be corn up higher. Drove all the way to the summer trailhead and we were able to skin from the car which made the approach negligible. I had never skied up this way but I was blown away by the number of lines that are so close to the car. Also, getting a really good look at Red and White puts that pretty high on the list of peaks to try to ski and that zone looks fantastic for a spring camp and ski. Anywho here are some pictures.

N. Chutes at the head of the canyon.

Baldwin and the Wall of the FUTURE...

Red and White

Red Slate

Morrison...I think. I dont think I'm wrong but someone correct me if so.

Looking North the coverage looks good.

And some turns:

Fuck yeah!!!!

Nice!

all mine
    Last edited by BGnight; 03-08-2016 at 04:49 PM.

^^strong day trip.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    ^^strong day trip.
    Understatement.

Damn, you topped that line out. Awesome.

I want to pm you about some obscurities around rose.

Cool shots, as always, BGnight.

Any guesses as to how things--eastern aspects in particular--will corn up this weekend? It looks like it'll be hot and partly cloudy, but just cool enough to freeze at night.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    ings--eastern aspects in particular--will corn up this weekend? It looks like it'll be hot and partly cloudy, but just cool enough to freeze at night.
    Saw this a few hours ago on instagram. Thought it would help: https://www.instagram.com/p/BCOq_i9x...y=earnyourturn

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Cool shots, as always, BGnight.

Any guesses as to how things--eastern aspects in particular--will corn up this weekend? It looks like it'll be hot and partly cloudy, but just cool enough to freeze at night.
    Things corned up today around noon on south aspects. But we went or some wind board and soft snow. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1456459616.356367.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	972.1 KB 
ID:	177281

And a view of bloody.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1456459656.374335.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	177282

Guessin' most east aspects aren't getting enough heat to cook to corn. Southern aspects are good to go though. 11 seems to be about prime time, but you might get away with noon. It's better to be early and wait than late and dealing with mush.

Skied a line up Lundy Canyon yesterday. No surprise with conditions. Wind effected cold snow in the shade both on the upper face as well as in the couloir proper. Overall good skiing in my opinion. This line really surprised with just how long it is. Looks a bit short at first glance but is certainly a substantial run top to bottom with more of it walled in than it looks at first take. Good stuff.

The line of the day.

The gut of it.

A lot going on.... Excelsior.

Top of the run. Whatsupdoc makes a turn or a couple hundred from time to time.

A long run to the canyon floor.

Chalky goodness!!!

Looking forward to getting up in the Easties. Nice shots everyone.

Thanks, guys. It looks like I'm committed to skiing Pyramid in Tahoe this weekend, which will probably be mediocre but I'm tired of staring at it.

Planning on going down to the Eastside for a few days the weekend after this one and doing something around North Lake or Ritter, depending on whether north couloirs or corn will be better. Birch also looks like it'd be fun, although I'm guessing it'd be a long dry hike.

Incidentally, I'm not crazy about the new NOAA website. I can't get info on places like Aspendell or use the point-forecast feature anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by pajamas View Post
    Yep. I always lock out in firm or no-fall conditions. But I've also had a toe piece rip out of my ski on my first turn on top of Irie Chute in Little Slide. And, a few years ago, I climbed the main couloir on North Peak but decided not to descend it because of a nasty ice bulge. Two hours later, as I was skiing down the Saddlebag fire road, the wing of one of my Plum toe pieces sheared off. If it had happened in the couloir, I would have been massively fucked. The prospect of equipment failure at the wrong time is goddamn frightening.

Chad had a mini version of that same fall in his Dynafits in a much smaller chute at CP in December. His pin spacing wasn't set properly on his heelpiece. One ski popped off on firm windboard, then the other one was gone as he tried to hold the slide with one ski. He slid about 200' on the frying-pan-smooth apron in the Sisters chute above Round Top Lake. I was glad I didn't have to do a full head to toe assessment on him.

Nice write up by that group and I'm glad everyone made it out.

Thankfully I'm not good enough of a skier to go into full lockout (as in, I can't yet ski no-fall terrain), but it's something I ought to check with my partners when I'm on my board and Avy conditions are not of concern.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

^^^^well, I skied the top part with locked toes and that heal not right. Then, as I came out of the chute, I adjusted things on the wind lip, but did not relock my toes. I think in the future, when in planning in skiing a steep ice rink, I will lock them down.

Quote Originally Posted by somethingclever... View Post
    Skied a line up Lundy Canyon yesterday.
    Oh man, that makes me laugh big time! Here is what dog-leg looked like last yeary in mid-March 2015 ...

Name:	11076220_827576237320692_5923084261800138305_n.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	177314

Name:	11082621_827584123986570_295467819574260788_n.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	177315

Name:	10987432_827576210654028_7256006073678798493_n.jpg