Grand Canyon Hike... Which Lenses to Bring?

I'm doing a 5-day backpacking/hiking trip in the Grand Canyon next week, and since I've never been there I'm struggling with which lenses to take with me. Obviously, weight and space are major concerns... but since photography is the main reason I'm going (it's a work trip with a partner, Wildland Trekking) I don't want to short change my ability to take all the pictures I need.

My camera is the 5D Mark III. My main lens options are the Canon 17-40 f/4 L, 24-105 f/4 L, and the 70-300 DO IS. I guess my main questions are:

- Do I take all three lenses, suck it up with the space/weight issues, and make sure I'm covered?
    - Do I take the 17-40 and 70-300, and sacrifice the 40-70mm range in exchange for not bringing the 24-105?
    - Do I bring the 24-105 and 70-300, and sacrifice the ultra-wide end?

I think you'd want the wide end. I'd probably use "foot zoom" for the "normal" range between 40-70

Going to the Grand Canyon, wouldn't landscapes be the priority? I would think that the wide lens would be first, then toss in the 24-105 and 70-300 in that order if space allows.

I think I'm leaning towards the 24-105 and 70-300. I'm a big fan of landscape shots with the long lens these days, and I think there are plenty of opportunities in the GC. Plus, from everything I've read, 24mm on a full-frame should be plenty to capture most wide angle shots.

I do like the 17-40, but it seems like I use it so infrequently that it's not worth the weight and trouble. I also find that when using filters (especially stacking them), I tend to zoom out to 18-19mm to avoid vignetting, so it's not all that different than the 24mm.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Plus, from everything I've read, 24mm on a full-frame should be plenty to capture most wide angle shots.
    Hmm, maybe. All I can say is when I was in Zion earlier this year I was glad I had a wide-angle lens with me (Canon 10-18 on a crop body).

Maybe you could look into renting a 2x teleconverter to eliminate the long lens? [edit: perhaps a bad idea. I don't think the lens will autofocus with the two stop reduction in max aperture].

Agree with 54-46.

I would lose the 24-105 if it were me, since the normal range is probably your least needed range for a landscape trip. You can always crop down something shot at 40mm in a pinch. You end up with a ton of overlap bringing the 24-105.

What about do wide and tele then throw in a 50 1.8 for your normal lens. That thing is so small and light you would barely notice.

Now that I'm back from my 5-day backpacking trip, I'll add my two cents.

I decided to take the 24-105mm and the 70-300mm DO, and I'm glad I did. I think I remember one time when I wish I had the 17-40mm, but other than that I didn't have a need for it at all. I used the 24-105mm for about 70% of the shots.

I have one caveat- my perspective on photos was very different than the casual GC visitor. Most people only see the canyon from the rim, so they want an ultra-wide like the 17-40 to capture it all in one shot. When you're below the rim, you don't need that perspective because it doesn't exist. When you hike down to the river and back, it's more like hiking in the mountains, where you want to combine wide angle and long-range shots. I also had to capture "action" shots of the guests hiking, and I used the 24-105 for 90% of those. The 17-40mm wouldn't have worked for those instances.

The biggest "real life" issue I had last week was keeping those damn batteries warm enough so they didn't lose power overnight in the freezing temps.

Last edited by smmokan; 12-08-2015 at 11:48 PM.

^^Nice shot.

was that the 70-300? Tonto Trail?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Taken with the 24-105 at 67mm, right at sunset on the 4th night.

This was from camp about halfway up the New Hance Trail... we were on the Tonto Trail (at the start, next to the river) the night before.

Great shot!

Excellent!