Tall fitting backpacks

I've been a good boy this year so will be asking Santa for a new non-airbag pack for day tours on low risk days. What's good for tall folk these days that won't leave the waist belt up past my belly button?

I'm 6ft4 and my previous 2008-ish BD Covert was an OK fit. My current ABS Vario black base unit is better for length but I'd still like taller if possible. Fit is my highest priority and I could make anything from 25-35L volume work. Separate avi tool pocket, decent ski carry and single axe carry are all preferable. Weight vs durability will be considered.

Any recommendations?
    Last edited by LC; 11-27-2015 at 08:47 AM.

Osprey L has one of the longer torsos on the market usually.

Deuter day packs fit tall skinny pretty well, don't know if they have any winter stuff. Good quality, though.

Osprey's Kode is the only one in their range which really has the features I'm looking for. Pretty sure I tried it in a size L a few years back and the fit was just OK. Maybe worth checking it again. I'm not convinced that the Mutant's fabric will hold up to ski edges from its A-frame carrying.

Lots of Deuter in shops around here, I'll check some.

Anything else worth a look? I really liked the look of a friend's uncle's North Face Patrol 34 but never tried it on - looks very long & slim but it's discontinued and pretty much only available on eBay now so I'd have to buy it before trying.

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    Anything else worth a look?
    Alpine Threadworks Selkirk Pack. CAD is down right now, so cost with shipping to FR might be in your budget...?

http://www.alpinethreadworks.com/products/selkirk.html
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I'm 6,4 and 95 kg and have never had any issues with my Dakine heli pro, the straps sit in the right places and it fits very well.
    I Came, I Saw, I .... Made A Slight Effort & Then Went Home For Lunch.

Tall fitting backpacks

I have the Osprey Kode in size L, I am a tall guy too.

Edit: I see you have a BD Covert, I have one too, and my Osprey is a way better fit.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Tall fitting backpacks

What's your torso measurement?
    What size Covert do you have? Hard to find any specs on sizing for the Covert, but The lg Kode will fit a 22" torso, though I would keep extra clothing bulk in mind....
    Maybe check the Osprey Variant. A bit better featured for skiing than the Mutant ( but not as purpose driven as the Kode) and comes in a larger large size (up to 23" instead of 22" like Kode or Mutant.)
    Last edited by carey; 11-28-2015 at 09:13 PM.

Haven't tried one, but have heard that BCA stash packs have adjustable torso length- maybe worth a look.

Deuter Guide