Thread: Kendo Dilemma

Kendo Dilemma

A few years back after a 10+ year hiatus I got back on skis. It was a bit of a sh!tshow the first day. I couldn't edge the Rossi S3's to save my life. Tried some Cham 97's which were better, then a pair of Kendo's (184cm). Putting on the Kendo's It was like someone flipped a switch. I could ski again. My thought is that they were probably the closest to my super old school skis I was used to; old stiff as a board Kneissl from the early 90's. I was sold and picked a set up. After a couple years on them I've never found that connection like I did with the demo pair. I had control with the demo's, but mine are a wrestling match in tight stuff. They are fine at mach loony in big arcs, but I just fight them everywhere else. I need a good east coast ski for when it's firm, but can't come to love 'em. I really dig my Rocker2's in the 180cm length, although the tip seems a bit soft and the mount (recommended) is crazy forward for me. Very different ski, but I'm on it almost exclusively from ice to nice. Last fall I did grab a set of Sin7's in 180cm which are mounted with guardians but feel they will be closer to my Rocker2 that an EC groomer ski.

I'm wondering if the demo set had some dulled up edges. Think I should get after them with a gummy and see if that helps loosen them up? Move the mount forward? Or maybe the 177 is just a better call on size for me. Looking for some thoughts before I give up and dump them.

My Details:
    6' 180# - Athletic and decent skier. Suck in bumps, handle about everything else short of tight jump turns and drops.
    184cm Mounted on the line
    Tuned them and they still ski the same.

If I do part with them, what's are suggestions for groomer days with old / man-made snow? 177 Kendo's, Experience 88's, Brahmas or maybe Volkl RTM's. The obvious answer is to get on some and see what I think, but we need some snow so for now we can debate it here.

Happy Turkey Day everyone!

most reps are smart enough to know that a good tune makes or breaks a ski. What base/side bevel are you running. Defiantly take a stone to the ski from about 2in in on the contact points out through the rocker.

My tuning knowledge starts at knowing I should be paying attention to these sort of things, and ends at walking out the door with what the shop did to them. As an engineer I can see geeking out on it, but my skis or boards I've just gone with the run what you brung approach to date.

I used demo loosely, it was actually a rental at Snowbird.

Don't need to turn as much at Snowbird as you do on the east coast. Could that be the difference? I'm 5'10" 175 and would go for the 177's on the East coast and 184's west. Different priorities. Would probably stick with 177's at places like Taos with lots of bumps, rocks and billygoating.

No reason not to follow XavierD's advice before ditching them. If they still feel like a handful consider Blizzard Bushwackers. They're more ski than S3's but much easier than Kendos or Brahmas. Great for when you don't feel like raging. They're also much better in bumps.

Kendo Dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    consider Blizzard Bushwackers.
    Solid advice. I have a pair of Bushwackers, very easy to ski, but very capable.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

How would the bushwhackers compare to the Sin7's?