TLT 5/6 sizing question

The internets aren't helping much, so I ask y'all for your oh-so-sometimes-sound advice:

US men's shoe size 11.5 = What size in the TLT5/6 - 28 or 29?

I'm looking for some TLT5s (or stupid cheap TLT6) for my pops who will be coming to MT to hut tour with me this spring. I've taken the responsibility to snag him some boots, as he's only tele'd previously and that is just uncouth. So I'm gonna let him tour on a pair of my skis and experience the revelation that is AT. Stoked to get him out from the east and see some of the big sky. Just want to get him the correct fit before blowing $$ on gear that won't fit. TIA, mags.

EDIT: Doublepost... see below

My foot is a US 11, all my skiboots are always a 28.0 shell. My TLT6's are a 29 shell and I would want them any tighter.......

I'm exactly an 11.5 on my right foot, about 11.8 (e.g. just a TINY bit under 12) on my left and have been dealing with this issue for a while.

I had the TLT5 in a 29 shell but it was a hair too large - a rattly 2 finger shell fit. Comfortable, but skied sloppily. Sold it after 4-5 days.

The update to the TLT6 (green/yellow in 2013) added a bit of volume to the shell so the common wisdom was to drop a shell size. So I just recently bought a TLT6 (with the medium volume Comfort Plus liner) in a 28 and it's quite tight... a snug 1 finger shell fit. I haven't decided if I want to keep it and I'm still in the return window, so I haven't baked the liner yet or started doing any shell work, but if I want to keep the boot, it will be absolutely mandatory. Also having significant issues with width. My feet are one tick wider than "normal" on a Brannock device, yet my feet touch both sides of the shell WITHOUT a liner. Probably need 5-7mm of additional width on the shell forefoot.

The newest 2015-2016 TLT6 (black & red) apparently added yet another 3mm in shell width/volume so that might be my next test. Return the 2013 TLT6 and get the 2016 TLT6.

Anyway, this is all a long winded way to say that 11.5, for me, is smack dab in the middle of being too loose in 29 and too tight in 28.

I'm sure this isn't the answer you were hoping for, but I would be wary of buying a TLT5/6 sight unseen. Everyone I've ever met with that boot has needed a liner bake and usually some shell work as well to get the boot to fit. Don't buy them for your dad unless you've got time for him to work with a bootfitter prior to setting out.

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
    My TLT6's are a 29 shell and I would want them any tighter.......
    Would? Or would not?

Thank you @BrokeSomeRibs. Although not the convenient answer I was looking for, it helps tremendously. While I'm familiar with the nuances of the TLT5-to-TLT6-to-TLT6(2.0) nonsense regarding width and fit for my own foot, it's quite a PITA to speculate on a fit for a foot unseen. Makes hella sense though. Sonofa...

I'm 13M and squeeze into 30MP TLT5 (punched) and TLT6 (to be punched), both with low volume (thin) liners. For a 11.5M foot I'd start with 29MP TLT5/6 with a standard liner.

Quoting someone's US shoe size doesn't necessarily reveal their actual foot length, partly because the two scales don't correlate directly but mostly because many people are perfectly happy wearing street shoes a size or so too big. Lacking a mondopoint Brannock device, try having him measure the total length of his foot in centimeters - chances are good a 28.5 cm foot will fit a 28/28.5 TLT5 or first gen TLT6 shell (white or green Grilamid lower shells), unless he has a higher than average midfoot volume or instep height (typical problem areas for these boots, it's very common for people with higher volume feet to size up for this reason). There's a big difference between the fit with the CR liner and the lighter CL liner or older TLT5 liner as well, the CR liner will feel much tighter in the same shell.

The new black TLT6 fits very differently (more relaxed all around, and taller in the instep) but you won't find them cheap yet.

one size bigger then normal ski boot size.

I'm 8-8.5 shoe, 25 in most ski boots, 26 in dynafit.

One size bigger then your normal boot size as many have mentioned.

I've owned the TLT5P in a 26 and my current TLT6's are also 26. Normal boot size is 25, and I would not want the dynafits any smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokeSomeRibs View Post
    Everyone I've ever met with that boot has needed a liner bake and usually some shell work as well to get the boot to fit. Don't buy them for your dad unless you've got time for him to work with a bootfitter prior to setting out.
    Good point. Probably 80% of the green TLT6's we see need some shell work to be viable, usually at the met heads or midfoot for extra width. Just cooking the liners doesn't do that much because they are so thin, and the heat moldable foam is mostly around the ankles. Hopefully you've got a bootfitter with Grilamid experience in the neighborhood.

Either. I had 29.5 in the TLT5 mtn, and later bought TLT6 perf in 28.5. 28.5 is a little on the tight side, but not overly so, more performance fit. I can walk for miles and miles on the 5's in incredible comfort though, they're my flat glacier plod boots now. My feet are 11.5, and I fit in a 28.5 Lange alpine boot which is downright painful until I get some mileage in them for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by angrysasquatch View Post
    My feet are 11.5, and I fit in a 28.5 Lange alpine boot which is downright painful until I get some mileage in them for the season.
    If truax's dad fits in a 97mm or "Z" series Lange boot in a 28.5 without modification, there's every possibility he'll be fine in a 28.5 TLT5/6 out of the box. If it's a 100mm or 102mm shell, he'll probably need to go up a size and/or punch the TLT shell.

For comparison's sake, I wear a 10.5 US (sometimes 11) street shoe, measure 27.6 on a Brannock, and ski in a 26.5 alpine boot, 27.5 green TLT6 and TLT5, both heavily punched (would get a 26.5 black TLT6).

Great feedback guys. Muchos apreciados. I'll get him on a Brannock and take it from there.

" I've taken the responsibility to snag him some boots" is by far the most important/hardest part of the package to fit cuz size doesn't really take into consideration foot type or personal preference

what tele boot was pops using that actualy fit him might be a good bit of info
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I have a pair of 27/27.5 TLT6 Ps (last year's), and a pair of used 27/27.5 Vulcans ('14 I think). My feet are almost exactly 27cm long, but are flat and wide midfoot. The TLT6s are WAY tighter all around than the Vulcan (even using the exact same Intuition liner, baked in the TLT6): I had to get multiple punches on the TLT6s starting at the 5th met all the way back to ankle. Vulcan is fine out of the box, and longer inside too... I can feel the Intuition slide forward/back slightly within the shell, and it's super tight in the TLT6.

I'd recommend going up 1 size with the TLT6 from what you'd expect, and still possibly having to do some work on it to get width.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokeSomeRibs View Post
    Would? Or would not?
    Sorry, Brain fad problem. Anyway, I most definitely would not want them any tighter.

I'm us 10.5 m comfortably wearing 28.5 tlt6 with no punching or mods. not uber snug, but reasonably well fitting, no slop. I'd agree with everyone and say 'go big'.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    The new black TLT6 fits very differently (more relaxed all around, and taller in the instep) but you won't find them cheap yet.
    Did they make the heel wider, too?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

The heel pocket seems the same to me

^^I know you also have wide(r) feet; would you agree with Greg's characterization that the new TLT6 is more relaxed through the instep and mid- to fore- foot?

I'm asking because I was kind of between sizes on the 5 and 6. I wear a 26 Vulcan (with lots of punching and ~5 mm shell fit), but I don't think I could make the 26 TLT6 fit. I have 27 TLT5s, but my heel floats around like crazy. Just trying to get an idea if the new TLT6 might work.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

My foot floats around in my 27 green TLT6s, cause I couldn't really put on the 26, and I wouldn't think twice about getting a 26 in the new model

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Did they make the heel wider, too?
    The actual heel seems the same in the black TLT6; it's got more volume from there forward.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    ^^I know you also have wide(r) feet; would you agree with Greg's characterization that the new TLT6 is more relaxed through the instep and mid- to fore- foot?
    My feet are 13M D or D+ width. My foot doc, Dr. Hale (highly recommended), advises that my arch is a bit higher than normal, which was news to me.

Yes, I'd agree with Greg that the TLT6 seems more relaxed at the instep and has a bit wider footbox. I had my TLT5 punched but so far not necessary for my TLT6. Note my TLT6 has the CL low volume liner and that I switched to a low volume Intuition liner on my TLT5.