Refrigerator help: garage freezer not staying cold

We recently replaced an old fridge in the garage, but the new one isn't working satisfactorily -- the freezer won't stay cold enough. Google tells me this is because the unheated garage is too cold; the thermostat is in the refrigerator section and doesn't trigger the compressor to turn on frequently enough, so it doesn't cool the freezer properly.

The new fridge is a side-by-side Kenmore. There is a "garage kit" made by Frigidaire, which is a small heating element that you place near the thermostat to fool it into thinking the fridge is warmer, and it makes the compressor cycle more often. However, supposedly it doesn't work on side-by-side fridges, but I can't find anything online that explains why not.

Anyone have this problem with a garage fridge? Any ideas how to make it work properly would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

By a heater for the garage? If it's so cold in there why do you even need a freezer. Just get a cardboard box to put stuff in

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    By a heater for the garage? If it's so cold in there why do you even need a freezer. Just get a cardboard box to put stuff in
    Because it's not cold 365 days a year in the garage, or even every day in winter. I live between Reno and Tahoe, not at the south pole.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

What if you enclose the refrigerator with rigid insulation so that the heat from the compressor gently heats the whole box?

Mine does that. Frozen pizzas have to be stored flat otherwise they gently defrost and slump over. But mine is one of the ones with the freezer on top. And we don't store a lot of high value stuff in the freezer. Mostly we use the fridge as our kegerator. Works mighty fine for that purpose.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Refrigerator help: garage freezer not staying cold

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Because it's not cold 365 days a year in the garage, or even every day in winter. I live between Reno and Tahoe, not at the south pole.
    Ok that makes sense. In that case, since it's not always so cold how about a space heater just to keep the freezer going on those chillier days?

I think the issue is 100% with the thermostat, and not with any other part (such as the compressor refusing to run when it's too cold). We put in several dishes for Thanksgiving into the fridge yesterday afternoon, all at room temp (or maybe a little warmer), and I checked the freezer and fridge temps last night with an IR gun. Freezer was at - 1 generally, fridge at 33-35*, garage was 38-40*. The warm(ish) dishes raised the fridge temp enough to trigger the thermostat, and cycle the compressor to cool everything down.

I read online that one way to fool the thermostat into cycling more often is to install a low wattage bulb near the thermostat and leave it on all the time. It adds just enough heat into the thermostat to make it come on and run the compressor, cooling the freezer. I'll try rigging something up with a 5 watt bulb and tape it to the underside of the thermostat housing.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    What if you enclose the refrigerator with rigid insulation so that the heat from the compressor gently heats the whole box?
    That's a pretty creative idea and it just might work. Call it "thinking inside the box".

Put the fridge in the basement. Or is that too simple?
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

The ironing of heating something to make it kold.

Its a common problem for fridge/freezers in unheated garages. 1st wurld.
    watch out for snakes

You could get a Sub-Zero, they have two compressors and two thermostats. They're only like $8 grand, c'mon.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    You could get a Sub-Zero, they have two compressors and two thermostats. They're only like $8 grand, c'mon.
    Get the "integrated" one and you can cover it in OSB or AC plywood to match seamlessly with the rest of the garage

^^That's funny^^
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    that rigid foam is magic for making temporary insulation zones and sealing drafty windows.
    8)
    I see hydraulic turtles.

are there two compressors ? Are you good with wiring ? If so, try this. http://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-All-Pu.../dp/B00OXPE8U6

I use it for my keezer
    Took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to change this shit

Anutter slightly moar $ option would be an external adjustable thermostat, much like the kind we use on our kegerators. They are pretty much plug and play as most are prewired and only need to properly place the attached sensor.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I read online that one way to fool the thermostat into cycling more often is to install a low wattage bulb near the thermostat and leave it on all the time. It adds just enough heat into the thermostat to make it come on and run the compressor, cooling the freezer. I'll try rigging something up with a 5 watt bulb and tape it to the underside of the thermostat housing.
    As an update for anyone who runs into similar problems with a garage fridge, I think this fixed it.

I bought a $1.50 incandescent night light (not LED, this needs to put out heat) and cheap extension cord from Walmart, and taped the night light onto the ceiling of the refrigerator compartment, on top of the metal plate that seems to be part of the thermostat's sensor function. I ran the extension cord out the top of the fridge door opening and taped it in place. Fridge is cycling enough now, after a few days, that the fridge compartment is reading out around 27-34* F, and the freezer compartment around -1 to 3* F. I need to fiddle with the settings a little, since 27* seems a little cold for the bottom of the fridge.

Seems idiotic that I have to heat the fridge to trick it into cooling, but so it goes. I'll just remove the night light and cord during the spring-thru-fall time of the year.

I don't have much idea about garage refrigerator, but at my restaurant I was having similar issues with my commercial refrigerator. The system fans and compressor were running, but the refrigerator or freezer was not cooling correctly, then one of my friends suggested me to take help of an HVACR technician. The AirdexInc technician inspected my refrigerator and provided details about this issue. If you are still facing this kind of problem, then you need to take the help of a technician.

If the OP needs me too I will come over and help eat the ice cream that wont stay kold cuz that is just the kind of guy I am.
    watch out for snakes

The night light taped to the heat sensor plate thing worked fine last winter. Turned it off for spring/summer/fall; once the weather actually starts cooling down around here, I'll turn it back on for winter again.