Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

who the hell still steals GPS's?

can you even get 5 bucks for one these days?
    One of the downsides of my suby is the hair trigger on the remote--unlocks the car if I bend over or bump into something and now that the beep on the alarm no longer works I never know it turned off. So some guy got my portable GPS last night. Seems like the only market would be old farts like me who refuse to get a smart phone (although driving around on the coast with my son my GPS worked while his phone had no reception). Fortunately my wife has one she isn't using since her car has it's own, and anyway I'm not far from the stage of only driving to the grocery store and only during the day. Oh shit, gotta go, my Depends needs changing.

Maybe he was lost?

Those that have to be talking on their phone while in the car and don't want to have it doing the turn directions and navigation also have a separate GPS unit.

Perhaps he was hoping it would map out deer crossing zones?

If it doesn't work when upside down you can rule out Jamespio as a suspect.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Those that have to be talking on their phone while in the car and don't want to have it doing the turn directions and navigation also have a separate GPS unit.
    My kid was visiting from Boston and wanted to go to Big Game at Stanford. Huge traffic jam due to an accident near Fairfield--almost an hour to get through. The whole time the young woman behind me was texting, looking up from time to time and slamming on the brakes when necessary to barely avoid rear-ending me. Lucky I didn't hit the car in front of me while watching her in the rear-view. Fortunately we still got there in plenty of time due to my insistence on leaving for anyplace ridiculously early.

Why do people steal brake pads from bikes locked up in NYC? Same shit. You have it, they want it, you're not there to protect your stuff, you lose. Keep in mind that crackheads/methheads are really only hoping for a few bucks at a time and most things can be sold or pawned quickly when you aren't looking for much $$. Things that you and I might think are nearly worthless can add up to a quick fix pretty quickly.

^bingo!

Some meth head stole mine a few years ago (my bad for forgetting to take it down). Douchebag smashed the drivers side window to steal it. Meanwhile the door was open. Lost the GPS and a window.

I'm astounded resident wit PNW Brit hasn't accused me. Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    My kid was visiting from Boston and wanted to go to Big Game at Stanford. Huge traffic jam due to an accident near Fairfield--almost an hour to get through. The whole time the young woman behind me was texting, looking up from time to time and slamming on the brakes when necessary to barely avoid rear-ending me. Lucky I didn't hit the car in front of me while watching her in the rear-view. Fortunately we still got there in plenty of time due to my insistence on leaving for anyplace ridiculously early.
    Obviously you needed a GPS with the live traffic updates so you could find an alternate route then.... Not that the texting young woman was not worth some loss in tailgating time.

Pics of the girl?

Quote Originally Posted by TomCrac View Post
    ^bingo!

Some meth head stole mine a few years ago (my bad for forgetting to take it down). Douchebag smashed the drivers side window to steal it. Meanwhile the door was open. Lost the GPS and a window.
    I park on the street I work on in NYC five days a week. I try to be careful not to leave anything that might say there are electronics in the car when I walk away from it. The power ports are in the center console in my car so I throw a jacket or similar over them just to make it difficult. Several times over the years my coworkers or customers have seen people checking the car out and once I stopped a break in on my bosses car. Right across the street is a methadone clinic so we have a real high class crowd hanging out all the time.

I think the fact that it was Cleveland was enough of a reason to leave.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Who the hell uses a GPS?

Cleveland, young man, is a place anybody with ambition leaves to go to New York.

Except for Swisher.
    Last edited by Benny Profane; 11-27-2015 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    No, I totally solved this problem. I now mount all my electronics on the ceiling.
    Way to embrace it.

At least the douchebag didn't get my weed recommendation in the glove box, and he did open the glovebox to check it out.
    Few years ago my wife picked up a laptop bag at the thrift and I found a marijuana letter in it. I found the guy's address on line and mailed him a letter but I guess he'd left town.

And after having a couple of radios stolen by smashing the window, the catalytic converter stolen on a Saturday afternoon in full view of witnesses (who got pictures of the thieve's plates but the cops didn't give a shit), and the truck stolen, I guess I got off easy this time. Back in the day my girlfriend at the time had a bag of weed stolen off our dining room table. We didn't file a police report about that one. And when my wife and I bought a house in Sac we found a polaroid camera, a ski mask, and a hunting rifle hidden under the leaves at the side of the house. No one filed a police report on the rifle so we got to sell it. (DD--you'll be glad to know we didn't keep it, although I regret it now. If all the right wing crazies are armed, shouldn't we freedom loving left wingers be armed too?)

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    To Stanford I5S>I580W better.

No, I totally solved this problem. I now mount all my electronics on the ceiling.
    Problem solving!

@Jamespio, dude, for someone who's living the dream in paradise, you still sound like a bitter old fuck.

Fuck New York.

People go to NY because they want to be a banker, a broker, an adman, an entertainer, or something else. But I never wanted to "be" anyone, I wantd to do things. NY never offered anything I wanted to do, nor anyone I wanted to be. Not ot mention the abusrd arrogance of NYers who think their city is anything other than a convenient place for lots of humans to go fuck each other both literally and figuratively.
    There are a lot of yahoos from places like cleveland who travel to NY to hold signs up outside the Today show and squeal like cats on fire, and then eat at the Olive Garden in Times Square. You forgot them.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    To Stanford I5S>I580W better.
    now you tell me.

btw what's the deal with suby's gps that won't let you program anything while the car is moving. haven't they ever heard of passengers?

Quote Originally Posted by Stikki View Post

The Russian satnav system is called Glonass, and is better at high latitudes than GPS.
    The Russian pilot probably bought that unit on ebay, cheap.

Fuck New York.

People go to NY because they want to be a banker, a broker, an adman, an entertainer, or something else.
    Hey, look, that dude over there has an opinion. That's special.
    [But it's nice that you know exactly why people 'go' to NY--no matter what anyone tells you, please don't stop enlightening us.]

But I never wanted to "be" anyone,
    I will assume you have been astoundingly successful. Glad you didn't allow the city to get in your way.

I wantd to do things.
    Clearly mutually exclusive from whatever you define as 'being' someone.

NY never offered anything I wanted to do, nor anyone I wanted to be.
    Yes, that's always been the shortfall of NYC--little to do (or to be?). Professionally pretty much a dead end town. Not like Palookaville, MT (or wherever the fuck you are), I'm sure.

What's nice about people leading with 'fuck NY' (or similar idiocy) is it functions as a convenient marker for narrow-minded ignorance. Not going to go into the possible explanations for this or any of the (many) reasons this isn't rational (typically I've found people like this to be strangely insecure about where they happen to live or their own lives in general), but the whole thing is so nonsensical on its face that it was hard to pass up. Oh, James...
    [quote][//quote]