Who sews ? School me on walking foots.

Is there anyone on this board who uses a walking foot machine ?
    Maybe this should be in tech talk.
    I am looking at a purchase soon for some leather and heavy canvas materials. My go to based on local availability and price point is a Juki older model.
    Feedback and thoughts are welcome from those with experience.

Thanks
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

I have two walking foot machines, a light duty Pfaff IDT and a heavy duty Sailrite LSZ-1. See previous thread started by Conundrum in which I suggested a Sailrite machine.

Juki makes some nice industrial walking foot machines, but they are $$$, and you'll likely rely on someone else to do repairs and service, which is more $$. If price is an issue, check out the Sailrite Ultrafeed machines. They are tough little walking foot machines for <$1,000. Sailrite has excellent customer service, stocks all spare parts and has a comprehensive set of videos re troubleshooting and repairs.

My company just bought a New juki for under $1000 shipped. Its a great machine. I'll post the link tomorrow from work for the company we bought it from.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    My company just bought a New juki for under $1000 shipped.
    With a walking foot? AFAIK, the cheapest Juki walking foot machine is around $1500, maybe $1200 on sale. Compare Sailrite LS-1 at $600

Check out Ralph's in Denver. I was an engineer at Gerry Baby Products back in the day and they sold us and repaired all of our machines. We had 50 or 60 machines from them of all types sewing production.

http://www.sewingmachineindustrial.net/index.htm

My company just bought a New juki for under $1000 shipped. Its a great machine. I'll post the link tomorrow from work for the company we bought it from.
    Thanks ! Looking forward to this info.

Big Steve. How quiet is the motor ? I have looked into a separate servo motor for around $250 bucks that are whisper quiet as well as having the ability to dial it down to a crawl. This really appeals to me as the clutch motors seem to be quite wild and crazy fast if you are not used to them.

All good info and thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    With a walking foot? AFAIK, the cheapest Juki walking foot machine is around $1500, maybe $1200 on sale. Compare Sailrite LS-1 at $600
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Juki-DU-...item1c584d3914

$999 shipped with table.

wow. good deal.
    Do you know what the thickest leather i can get away with ?
    I would like to go up to about 6 oz. doubled over.

Thanks

I have no idea, i would ask on a leather forum. We sew nylon on it no problem. I know leather takes a really powerful machine and the right needle.

What are you planning on making?

Thanks Leavenworth.
    I called the place you sent the link for and was told that the machine was a bit on the light side of my needs.
    I have a vintage postal bag project we are working on along with leather so my needs are a bit more heavier duty.
    I was told I need a compound walking foot similar to the Juki 563.
    The sailrite looks good but I would need a knee lifter to get the foot to raise higher as well as a slower servo motor.
    I will keep my eyes open locally for the one that suits me.
    With our dollar to USD, $999 US works out to be $1350 candian. Ouch !!

Thanks again

There's a bunch of old industrial Singer machines on ebay for ~$600 US, they're probably more badasser than modern ones anyway, no?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    There's a bunch of old industrial Singer machines on ebay for ~$600 US, they're probably more badasser than modern ones anyway, no?
    Old machines tend to have problems if you are trying to sew any kind of volume. Any old machine like that will probably need lots of hard to get parts, which will break in the middle of a project and up against a deadline. We've had older Juki and Mitsubishi machines and they super clunky and loud compared to new stuff.

For sure get a machine with a servo motor. Auto thread trim is nice if you're doing production sewing.

I have a friend here in the Wenatchee valley who is very knowledgeable about machines and sews leather for a living. He normally has 2-3 machines he has refurbed and is looking to sell. I can get you in touch if you'd like. Might be worth the drive down here to buy a machine off him. If you want to make a weekend out of it, I can show you around Stevens Pass or Mission Ridge. I think it's about 4.5 -5.5 hours depending on the weather?

The sailrite machines look great for small project that require a heavy duty machine. But if you're doing production sewing I don't think they're what you're looking for.

A friend in Wenatchee ? Sounds like a great road trip. Please get in touch if you think it is something I would be interested in.
    Right now i am looking at a Jukin 563 refurbished from Toronto for $650 plus $120 for shipping but a road trip sounds way more exciting !
    Thanks !!!

Old machines tend to have problems if you are trying to sew any kind of volume. Any old machine like that will probably need lots of hard to get parts, which will break in the middle of a project and up against a deadline. We've had older Juki and Mitsubishi machines and they super clunky and loud compared to new stuff.

For sure get a machine with a servo motor. Auto thread trim is nice if you're doing production sewing.

I have a friend here in the Wenatchee valley who is very knowledgeable about machines and sews leather for a living. He normally has 2-3 machines he has refurbed and is looking to sell. I can get you in touch if you'd like. Might be worth the drive down here to buy a machine off him. If you want to make a weekend out of it, I can show you around Stevens Pass or Mission Ridge. I think it's about 4.5 -5.5 hours depending on the weather?

The sailrite machines look great for small project that require a heavy duty machine. But if you're doing production sewing I don't think they're what you're looking for.
    Dustin?

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Dustin?
    Yup.