Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Only hit one deer. A nice plump doe. Girlfriend and her sister in the seats beside me. Had to get out, grab a pulaski from the back of the truck and administer painkiller. Left the carcass visible but off the gravel; several wildlife management unit in BC, some sanctioned better than others, allow for salvage by some individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    that b them
    I think they've been trained by the locals so that people slow down

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Had a doe caught in my barbed wire fence. She was still alive but had done some major damage to herself. I cut her down and she expired shortly thereafter otherwise I would have had to call out the officials to put her out of her misery
    No maul eh?

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    Only hit one deer. A nice plump doe. Girlfriend and her sister in the seats beside me. Had to get out, grab a pulaski from the back of the truck and administer painkiller. Left the carcass visible but off the gravel; several wildlife management unit in BC, some sanctioned better than others, allow for salvage by some individuals.
    Did you use the ax or the hoe side? Inquiring minds and all that

Elk are smarter than deer IMO and the pedestrians in my new home are more unpredictable than deer. To me.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Was a passenger in a truck doing about 90 on a highway outside Villahermosa Mexico, about 3am, hit a feral dog, it rag-doll'd into the median at Mach looney. Obviously dead. Didn't even slow to 89, just kept going. The guy felt pretty bad but there was nothing that could be done. If you've ever been in that region feral dogs are everywhere, dead ones too, people don't give a shit.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Not around here - you get caught shooting an injured out of season without a tag and you're going to be in big trouble.
    That is a damn shame. Here's a little road salvage from this summer:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RK.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	807.7 KB 
ID:	172192
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Be careful out there...

I was driving down the interstate one night, there's a pickup like 50-100yards in front of me. In their headlights, I see a deer, start slowing down, and pow, they just go right into it at like 80mph, deer explodes, no brake lights. They got off two exits later where I was also going, front of the truck is trashed with coolant/steam pouring out, only one light working. Not sure where they went after that because I turned the other way. I don't think I had a cell phone at the time or I would have called someone- guessing they were drunk.

Oh, and somehow a car hit a deer on my street the other day. There is a huge blood stain on the road about 2 houses down. Not sure how you manage that in a 25mph zone in a quiet neightborhood, but it is not the first time and I see people driving way too fast all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Did you use the ax or the hoe side? Inquiring minds and all that
    Come on, we're no savages. Precision instruments applied generally, and all that

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Be careful out there...

That's just not right.

Good shot though.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Did he died?

A good friend of mine heard a loud thunk when he was taking off in his plane. Thinking that loud noises and airplanes don't mix well he turned around and landed. When he got out he found antlers caught in the wing.

No deer to be seen, he walked around a bit it couldn't find the injured animal.

When he called the insurance agent about the incident he started with "you will never believe what happened to my plane..." And described it. They said "sir, that happens all the time, we even have a standard code for wing damage caused by deer"

My dad was driving somewhere out near ennis, and slowed down to avoiding hitting a big group of deer. Big brodozer passed him and took out 2 or 3 of them and left them super maimed on the road. My dad called the cops asking permission to put the deer out of their misery, and they told him he couldn't. I guess he felt bad enough for them that he shot them all anyway.

Stop the car, kill the deer, fuck the law. Buncha suburban dads on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Walking around in an Italian town with narrow, steep streets is the closest one can feel to being a deer, I guess. That woman would feel right at home among the tailgaters out on the local roads.
    Do you have local status there too?

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Yep. I grew up on doing the right thing, which incidentally meant roadkill. I will put anything down, and I will honor that animal, as stupid as it might be. I've done it to the shit on the road, the dogs, and anything that is suffering, including my mother. No I didn't shoot her.

To have a law that says otherwise is fucked.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Plainview View Post
    A state trooper happened to drive by while I was waiting for a tow truck and confirmed that in WA (at least at that time, but doubt anything's changed) it's illegal to keep your roadkill.
    I hit and killed a deer in NE WA a few years ago. Rural road, no phone. I went home and called the sheriff, telling him where to find the carcass; he was shocked that I didn't just toss it in my truck and enjoy free meat like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    To be fair... I'm a suburban dad... and actually had to do this. I wasn't driving - just a passenger, but took care of it. Not fun. If some shit-head would have tried to give me a ticket for it, I would have fought it to the bitter end. No idea what the actual law is in California but the CHP guy who arrived thanked us for doing the right thing.

Montana has a smartphone app: if you find dead roadkill you just enter it on the app and you can load it up in your car and take it home. No butchering it on the side of the road, just load & go. Also no putting it out of its misery, for that a cop has to come do it (like single's dad found out).

http://m.missoulian.com/news/local/f...9bb2963f4.html
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Didn't hit it, but came around a blind corner onto a bridge to find three bison walking up the road toward me. That would not have ended well. I came to a stop and had to wait from them to walk of the bridge (culvert really) they weren't in a hurry.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

My dad told a story about some guy he knew who hit a moose with an MG midget. Supposedly the car was totaled, the moose had to be put down and the guy walked away. But Dad told some stories sometimes.

A friend hit a moose in a Toyota Avalon. It flipped over the roof, got up, and ran off. Car barely had a scratch. Lucky mofo.

Gotta call the Troopers in Ak if you hit a game animal. There's a longstanding distribution system in place for the meat.

I was a little south of Fairbanks in a car with the director of engineering for AKRR when we came upon a tourist who had totaled his rental hitting a moose calf, who was also totaled. The driver was OK, and had already called 911.
    A local came along in a bigassed Chevy truck and said, "Help me out here." So the three of us struggled and loaded the 350lb dead calf in his truck bed about 5 feet off the ground, and the fellow took off. After we caught our breath and got in the car, we noticed Rob had blood all over his left side, and he had smeared it on the door panel and armrest. What we didn't see until we stopped was that blood had dripped and smeared on the outside of the door too. We looked like a couple of hit men driving away from a botched killing.

It was at least 10 minutes before I asked, "Hey. Did we just break a law back there?"

Deer are like a plague around here. They did an aerial survey a couple years back and counted an average of 600 deer per square mile in our area, almost one an acre. They eat everything, our dogs can barely keep them out of here. I've hit three. One was dead right off and the other two spun off into the woods at night never to be seen again.