Happy birthday Calvin and Hobbes

It was 30 years ago today....

Wow.

I didn't start reading Calvin and Hobbes until I was in 4th or 5th grade, but it was one of the big influences on my life.

Love Calvin and Hobbes!

I found my old C&H's books in the garage a few weeks ago and gave them to my oldest girl. She's 8 and is eating them up. Reading them in between devouring novels.

Weird that they didn't come out until I was in college. I would have guessed it was older.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

watch out for snakes

Damn I miss that strip. Best one ever.

so good.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

That and Bloom County, the best.

I'm also a huge fan! Loved Calvin and Hobbes when I was a kid. I also recently found my old C&H books, my boy isn't big enough to enjoy them yet, but I can't wait until he is!
    sigless.

Still remember when I got my first Calvin and Hobbes. Something Under the Bed is Drooling.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

C and H, The Far Side, Bloom County...what a great era for comics. Nothing these days even comes close, and there are some good strips, just nothing like the those mentioned.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

The snow men were always my favorites

One of my stepfather's good friends grew up next door to Watterson in Cleveland; only had good things to say. C & H definitely had a big impact on my worldview growing up; Watterson is an authentic artist that stayed true to himself. His commencement speech at Kenyon helped me through a lot of tough times and continues to inspire. I still read it at least once a year, helps with ye olde perspective.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

Watterson lived in Hudson, Ohio and included much of the landscape and landmarks in the background of his strip. He nailed the different seasons as well. One of many reasons why I was so drawn to the strip growing up - never mind the brilliant wit, the way Calvin saw the world, and the enduring themes.

He has since retired to Chagrin Falls, Ohio and up until the early 2000s he would sneak signed copies of his collections onto the shelves of his favorite Fireside Bookshop in the village. That is until rabid fans caught on and drove the famous recluse back into his closed world.

Last I heard he paints landscapes of his beautiful property with his father in Chagrin and avoiding people at all costs.

I've enjoyed the fan drawn strips that I believe Tipp posted of what Calvin and Hobbes have become in old age - makes me wish the strip had never ended. Although it may be just the most perfect final strip ever run - Lets go exploring!

Happy anniversary indeed.
    I still call it The Jake.