Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Van Isle 2015/2016: Cloudy with a chance of rain, sleet and snow

With THE El Nino (Spanish for The Nino) we are guaranteed precipitation - now, can it fall as snow?

Today was a good day.

Will this fill in? We hope so.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151115_122903.jpg 
Views:	692 
Size:	665.2 KB 
ID:	171916

But, we made the best of it today and hope for more in the future.

Name:	20151115_133814_001.jpg 
Views:	678 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	171918
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

"...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

This weekend was acceptable on the island.

Name:	12313865_10100720031898049_8407460828530158112_n.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	172991

kutz gets after it - nom nom nom

Nice! Glad to see the snow panned put for you there.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Hey Shafty,

Where is that?! I am living in Nanaimo now....is that Cain?

K

No, that was Washington. It was good.

No-one come to the island this week - you could drown.

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	513 
Size:	282.6 KB 
ID:	173532

(how do you insert a file so that it appears full size on the screen, rather than having to click on it to get full size?)

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    No-one come to the island this week - you could drown.
    Oh, I'm coming. I just hope it keeps up for another week.

40cm overnight and blue bird with no wind today at the southern resort. The kind of day that only comes once or twice a season, if you are lucky. Some areas were significantly deeper and some less so, with a bit of a crust up high, but the skiing was unreal. Being up there early was key. Snow stayed soft until noon and there were still stashes of untouched, when we took off.

How did you do that? ^^^

You need to take the URL from the image and place [img] before it, and [/img] after it.

So, in your case, I opened the attached image in a new browser tab, copied the URL, and then formatted it thusly:

[img] https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/a...2&d=1450382819 [/img]

I've added a space after the [img] and before the [/img] so that you can see how it's done. When you actually post an image, there will be no such spaces.

The southern resort continues to get pounded. Get it Wednesday/Thursday, if you can - another 70cm forecast for Wednesday and clearing skies Thursday

I still can't figure it out inserting the pictures. Me + computer skillz = failure.
    Last edited by shafty85; 12-23-2015 at 01:03 AM.

Holy shit... how much are flights out there?

Yeah, man - December has gone off here. We can only hope the rest of the winter is even half this good and I'll be a happy man! Things shaping up well in Fernie?

Man, I've always wanted to ski out there. especially after seeing snow across the sound from Tofino. It's so close but seems so distant and usually it's good here when it's good there

Haha, I often think the same thing when I'm driving to or from Victoria for work and look across to the 'murican side of the world. Grass is always greener on the other side, eh?

http://www.cheknews.ca/missing-teen-...ington-127467/

Sad news from the southern resort.

Update: The BC Coroners Service and the RCMP are now investigating after a 15 year old snowboarder was found dead on Mt. Washington last night.

A 15-year old snowboarder missing on Mount Washington since this afternoon has been found.

Paul Berry of Comox Valley Search and Rescue confirmed the teen had been located but could provide no further details.

It followed an extensive search for the teen who had last been seen by his sister around 4pm.

They had parted ways on the more difficult blue runs near where Linton’s Loop meets Rainbow trail and he hadn’t been seen since.

The teen is an experienced snowboarder who knows the mountain and its believed he was riding within the trail boundaries.

Earlier, crews on skis and on snowshoes with headlamps conducted an intensive search in a treed area near where he last seen.

The search area was later expanded and more volunteers joined the search effort

Snowfall made the task more difficult by limiting visibility earlier and by covering up any tracks the teen may have left in the snow.

Lets be careful out there. Ive spent 5 minutes upside down in a tree-well on Wash and was probably the scariest thing ive ever experienced. On another note the american company that purchased the mountain has closed all OB access. Liability concerns and whatnot... Lets hope they can resolve this.
    You dont stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    Yeah, man - December has gone off here. We can only hope the rest of the winter is even half this good and I'll be a happy man! Things shaping up well in Fernie?

Yeah... Fernie is skiing really great right now. No huge dumps but snow every day is adding up and small crowds mean I'm finding some really deep turns every day I'm out there.

Quote Originally Posted by vanisle View Post
    Lets be careful out there. Ive spent 5 minutes upside down in a tree-well on Wash and was probably the scariest thing ive ever experienced. On another note the american company that purchased the mountain has closed all OB access. Liability concerns and whatnot... Lets hope they can resolve this.
    That is the sort of action I would expect from previous ownership and what was killing the resort. I wonder if perhaps it is the management making these decisions? (which, from my understanding, has not changed with the new ownership).

Can they actually stop people from leaving the resort boundary? What/where is the boundary of their property?

*Edited for accuracy
    Last edited by shafty85; 12-25-2015 at 08:22 AM.

Actually the gate closure was put in place the day before the accident. Apparently not a management decision but came from the parent company. Most of the boundary is directly adjacent to the property line or near it and most of the land is owned by timber west. I don't think they can stop you but they can and will pull your pass if caught...
    You dont stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing

I'll retract my comment about them over-reacting, but stand by my disappointment in their decision.

Got up to the northern resort this weekend. With over 40cm Fri night/Sat, it was a good time. Threw together a small edit of the weekend.

Backcountry fest next weekend

http://vanislebackcountryfest.ca/

Not the best weekend to choose to leave the island to ski in the Interior/Rockies...

90cm at Cain by Saturday...

Name:	Cain forecast 2016-03-03.png 
Views:	74 
Size:	325.6 KB 
ID:	177639

The Lake/Revy... not quite as much...

Name:	LL forecast 2016-03-03.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	264.2 KB 
ID:	177640

Name:	Revy Forecast 2016-03-03.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	499.1 KB 
ID:	177641

ETA: still failing at inserting pictures off my computer, sorry.
    Last edited by shafty85; 03-03-2016 at 07:44 PM.

^^^ looks fine on the mobile app, FWIW.