Thread: Swollen knee

Swollen knee

ACL class of 2012. Last couple of seasons went well with some minimal swelling and stiffness after longer hikes or ski days but generally no concerns. I was out for my first day of the season 2 days ago. Skinned up for some short laps of a powder slope. I took one tumble - without any obvious pain or twisting in the knee - and made it back to the car in one piece with a smile on my face.
    Later that night I noticed my knee was significantly more swollen than it was all last year. Specifically my quad above my knee - meaning I could barely see the upper part of my kneecap, and also really obvious joint effusion. My range of motion is pretty much normal other than a few degrees of flexion which I'm assuming is secondary to the effusion. I've got no instability that I can tell and strength feels mildly reduced but I can still hop on the leg and perform a single leg squat - neither of which I could do the first time I popped my ACL.
    I'm currently stressing that I've done something to the graft but I'm struggling to think of what. I was wearing my brace at all times when going downhill although I'll admit I wasn't wearing it on the up. I don't ever wear it biking or hiking trips and haven't had any problems.
    Anyone else suffered similar symptoms? I'm currently trying to rest, ice and elevate - as best as I can while working.

All I can tell you is that my Physical Therapist told me once that at some point in the future, one or two years down the line, my knee would swell up for no reason and I would freak out and come back to her wondering what was going on. She seemed to imply it just happens sometimes.

So monitor it, but don't freak out.

Swollen knee

I tore mine two seasons ago and first day skinning this year it ballooned. I think it was the uphill and weight of lifting my skis that did it, because I have had numerous long inbounds days with no issues. Best technique to get rid of swelling I have learned from my PT is called voodoo flossing. You wrap your knee from the top of the calve upward to the bottom of the thigh (starting very tight and getting progressively looser) with a long, 2 inch wide rubber band (can use the same bands made at physical therapy places or buy online) and then do 20-30 body weight squats. Next take the band off and do 20-30 more squats. The band pressure combined with the range of motion movement pushes the fluid out of the joint towards the center of your body. You can do this series multiple times in a row, but usually after doing it twice all the fluid will be gone and your knee is normal again. I skied 100+ days last year coming off a Christmas time the previous season acl,mcl, meniscus tear with no brace. Doing this daily after skiing was the only way it was possible. Google voodoo flossing for more info and to buy a band

I have also been having some swelling and inflammation recently post ACL repair about 15 years. I recommend cycling to reduce pain and inflammation good cross training for skiing.