Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Damn, heel up dude! Of course it now looks like some snow is coming next week...

Do they plow Garibaldi pk road to the parking lot all winter? Only been up there in the summer.
    From memory, it depends on recent / seasonal snowfall I've been able to park at or near the parking lot or had to ski out (it almost all downhill)

2015/16 whistler /Pemberton /Duffy lake thread

Any news on the possibility of more lifts for this weekend (Harmony or Crystal)?. Avalanche hazard is going to be high so I have a feeling temp boundary touring will be shut down.

Edit: can you ski from base 2 to the Whistler village right now? Guessing they've made enough snow down there by now.
    Last edited by gramboh; 12-02-2015 at 01:02 PM.

Cruel, cruel mother nature, why must you make this so hard...

http://snowbrains.com/up-to-115-of-s...c-next-7-days/

Quote Originally Posted by filthyfrenchbum View Post
    Cruel, cruel mother nature, why must you make this so hard...

http://snowbrains.com/up-to-115-of-s...c-next-7-days/
    Just think of it as setting up a solid base for the reminder of the season.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

All say thanks to grenouille's sacrificial collarbone!

That's what I like to know. As much as I enjoyed slicing and dicing up the icy and chalky runs off Big Red on my trip couple weeks ago, I am now booked Sun-Sun a block from the Whistler Gondy and having my new pow-board mounted. Fkna I am drooling on keyboard looking at the forecast and I need to get some work done.

Q for anyone in the know – The peak lift has been spinning for a past few days but none of the upper lifts at Blackcome are. Is it due to avi-related issues or staffing issues? I prefer Spanky runs off Glacier (rather than off peak on Whistler side) in the middle of the storm cycle. Any beta? ...don't matter, woo hoo, I'm so excited!!

Quote Originally Posted by boar2m View Post
    That's what I like to know. As much as I enjoyed slicing and dicing up the icy and chalky runs off Big Red on my trip couple weeks ago, I am now booked Sun-Sun a block from the Whistler Gondy and having my new pow-board mounted. Fkna I am drooling on keyboard looking at the forecast and I need to get some work done.

Q for anyone in the know – The peak lift has been spinning for a past few days but none of the upper lifts at Blackcome are. Is it due to avi-related issues or staffing issues? I prefer Spanky runs off Glacier (rather than off peak on Whistler side) in the middle of the storm cycle. Any beta? ...don't matter, woo hoo, I'm so excited!!
    We skied around the Horstman glacier and down Blackcomb glacier last weekend. Coverage was thin in places with open crevasses and sags. Diamond and Ruby looked like boulder fields still which is normal given snowpack. So that's is why upper Blackcomb is not open. It looks like it won't stop snowing for a while and it gonna be windy, so even once the coverage is ok id be surprised if they are going in to assess, do AC, setup signs, build the cat road up the glacier until they get clear weather.

Pure speculation from my cubicle, but I think this weekend is red/emerald on Whistler and Jersey cream only on Blackcomb and hope for ok freezing level. If they get Crystal open or have the JC traverse open that would be an awesome bonus surprise.

You should have an awesome time either way especially if things clear up later next week.

See you in the line ups.

Anyone taking bets on chances of Crystal or Harmony for Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by roadgap View Post
    Anyone taking bets on chances of Crystal or Harmony for Saturday?
    Maybe Crystal if temps drop enough to actually snow?

But doubt the winds would cooperate for Harmony on Sat. Gusting to 137 right now.

Any news on the possibility of more lifts for this weekend (Harmony or Crystal)?. Avalanche hazard is going to be high so I have a feeling temp boundary touring will be shut down.

Edit: can you ski from base 2 to the Whistler village right now? Guessing they've made enough snow down there by now.
    Alpine won't crack, storm skiing all weekend. Maybe Crystal, but not if the winds stay.

Yes you can ski from base 2 to the village, did it yesterday. Ride from mid-station to village was fine too.

Do they plow Garibaldi pk road to the parking lot all winter? Only been up there in the summer.
    Yes it gets plowed all winter, but usually on the weekends the Park Operator enforces tire chains a few km before the parking lot.

glad I got a bit of that primer pow yesterday morning, some fun turns and way deeper than expected in west bowl....wash out this aft, sideways rain below the roundhouse, hammering snow above. super windy out of the south, no singles on Red chair and full slow with frequent windstops.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1449195895.847046.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	661.4 KB 
ID:	172794Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1449195918.890157.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	691.9 KB 
ID:	172795
    Jersey area was about the best thing found today, it was great few hundred meters at tree line that was nice snow, bottom of jersey was rain, can't complain it's better than work, tommorow should be better with freezing levels dropping , can't see either alpine opening anytime soon...

Quote Originally Posted by DMCSKI75 View Post

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1449195895.847046.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	661.4 KB 
ID:	172794Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1449195918.890157.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	691.9 KB 
ID:	172795
    Jersey area was about the best thing found today, it was great few hundred meters at tree line that was nice snow, bottom of jersey was rain, can't complain it's better than work, tommorow should be better with freezing levels dropping , can't see either alpine opening anytime soon...
    Did they have the traverse to Overbite open? Hope the models are right and FL comes down a bit. Sunday could be decent mid mtn if so.

Hmm, first two days (Mon-Tue) look little damp …but hoping the next five is a doozy!

For my benefit, can you all start speaking tourist lingo …with reference to tourist map?

Muchas gracias, amigos!

Hmm, first two days (Mon-Tue) look little damp …but hoping the next five is a doozy!

For my benefit, can you all start speaking tourist lingo …with reference to tourist map?

Muchas gracias, amigos!
    ego bowl will be a sure thing

Come now ...be kind.

I usually go hide in CBX and gladed trails off Crystal during stormy weather ...but what's this "overbite"? Is this an official run?

Never mind, I found it.

How the heck do you traverse from top of JC to Overbite?

I usually go hide in CBX and gladed trails off Crystal during stormy weather ...but what's this "overbite"? Is this an official run?
    Yea, official. You can see it from your deck chair on the glacier creek deck.

Alright ...I will disappear! ...haven't had real powder for so long that I'm just getting too excited for the trip.

Alright ...I will disappear! ...haven't had real powder for so long that I'm just getting too excited for the trip.
    thanks for being a good sport....just hope for the freezing level to play nice tomorrow and sunday and mid-mountain trees might be good to go really soon!

Hmm pretty sure I saw ppl that didn't look like patrol/ops on the glacier webcam. They open the Avalanche closures for touring already? Looks nice and fat up there.

Started off wintery and blustery in Whistler. Last evening and during the day temps were +2 at Roundhouse and precip took the form of liquid. It changed today with patches of sunshine amidst variable weather with temps dropping to -2 at Pig Alley and Catskinner at Whistler and Blackcomb. Winds were initially 30-40 from the SW at the alpine.

First runs were in Whistler. We switched over to Blackcomb around 11am and toured over to the 7th/Bodybag/Xhiggys area. HS was still only 70 - 90 but inexplicably the SW and S slopes were creamy snow with as much as 40cm of windloaded legitimate powder overlaying the previous snowpack.

Some naturals observed initiated as point releases from true S facing slopes. No faceting observed in tree wells or on lee side of rocks. No whumpfs or settlements. Did not wander over to N faces to observe.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1449281447.220603.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	498.5 KB 
ID:	172874Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1449281464.239738.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	685.0 KB 
ID:	172875Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1449281500.145105.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	569.7 KB 
ID:	172876
    7th was ok today...for 4 laps.