Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Well I guess I picked the wrong mountain. Creekside lined up to Starbucks was maybe an hour, red chair line was massive, probably another 30-40 min. Cut our losses and got a good spot in the peak chair lineup but that was at least an hour, didn't open until 1230. Got one awesome run down million dollar and a funky big timber ski out and went home. At least it was a free day on my edge card. Should have got up earlier or slept in later to avoid the herds.

if you show up late on a 40cm pow day, you're going to have a less fun time....it was definitely busy, and I showed up at 7:30 in creekside, but I still went home at 3pm with no energy left. So good to be doing top to bottoms again. Best storm cycle we've had in a lot of years, imo.

ya i agree. top to bottom around peak to creek was nice and light snow. near the bottom it was heavier but still few tracks. so glad to finally get a pow day on my 140mm waist moment's.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Spearhead skis super well. Bergschrund is just very very wide and looks pretty deep. The snowbridge I probed right below Don't Swill is greater than 3m deep so that's good. The concern is if its whiteout and you're trying to find freshlines and traverse either right or left of Don't swill fall line. Then there's the possibility of falling in while skiing fall-line.
    Thank you. That sounds good. No issues with that. We will be up tomorrow and the next day.

140cms HS at top of Oboe. 45cms of blower storm snow on Cowboy Ridge. Temps -7, winds light. Snowing flurries S1 in patchy periods throughout the day. Singing Pass is good to go

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    Best storm cycle we've had in a lot of years, imo.
    ]
    It's nice to hear someone else say this, wasn't sure if I was crazy or just super jaded from the last few years. The last 10 days or so has kicked some serious ass

Loving the stoke guys. Didn't get any decent pics this weekend, so keep it coming.

Glad to hear Singing Pass is good to go, will be heading out that way soon.

Had a great day Monday. Circle chute, spearhead-corona bowl. All shin-thigh deep fist-4f snow. Finished the triple crown with a husume and doa lap at the end of the day, nice light, but caught doa after about 100 solly pros had finished their Instagram sesh up there= lots of uncovered rocks.
    Went up and hit the south side paths on vantage yesterday, excellent ski quality. There is a stiff wind slab that we found up to 50cms thick at the top of the snowpack. It is reactive to ski cuts. It is a battle to get out of there, still very thin below 1600m.
    Last edited by Schemeboat; 12-16-2015 at 04:44 PM.

Looks like some fresh action behind Wedge

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wedge slide.JPG 
Views:	332 
Size:	987.7 KB 
ID:	173486
    Last edited by Clownshoe; 12-16-2015 at 10:11 PM.

Not a bad afternoon in 7th.

OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by Clownshoe View Post
    Looks like some fresh action behind Wedge
    My bud is up there now, just rang him and he is about to drop into the west couloir. Gonna be a dark exit for them!

Clownshoes shot is a climax avalanche off James Turner. Quite the whopper

Another angle of the slide on Mt. James Turner (not my photo, thiefed from Blackcomb Heli)

Looks more like a rock slide than an avalanche, but fucking massive either way!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wedge slide2.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	173489
    Last edited by Clownshoe; 12-16-2015 at 10:38 PM.

Finger post ridge/berna glacier

nature is fucking cool

Wayne with his in-depth investigative heli-snow-reporting. Thinks it was caused by nearby earthquake.

http://www.wayneflannavalancheblog.c....html?spref=tw
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

That landslide... wow... brings the fragility of our environment into perspective. That's for sure. It's weird, as my feeling and intuition tells me for some reason that something like a landslide wouldn't occur in winter environments. Which is a stupid assumption based on nothing other than not knowing of one happening, or being cognizant of it at least. I've always felt that something high alpine like that would be so solid.... now that perspective is changed. Thanks universe, for another lesson.
    The skills of evaluating evidence, posing questions and answering them, of writing, of mobilizing information in order to make an argument. I think all of that is important in a democratic society if people are actually going to be active citizens - Eric Foner

So when will the CAC start issuing landslide ratings and warning? Scary stuff.

if you get caught in a landslide that big, well, the world just had it in for you....not a whole lot you can do to avoid that type of event, well, maybe you could move to Saskatchewan, but, no thanks.

If you move to SK then you will also need to learn to snowboard, to keep good company

On a positive note , I don't see any sympathetic releases in that photo. Ultimate stability test

With the RFID passes, can you still get discounted tickets at 7-11? Anyone know how much you save?

Or can you use the season pass to buy a discounted day ticket? Got a friend in from out of town for a day.

Not sure where everyone was today but it was pretty sweet; not as good as last Friday but still very good turns to be had. Right back onto the lift at Harmony all day long - Peak looked busy for a few laps but then it emptied out quickly as well.

Missed last chair up on Peak by about 30 seconds after getting after getting busted for "speeding" in a slow zone. Would have loved a Khyber to finish the day off. I'm sure it was good in there.

Tried Unsanctioned today, still needs more snow, especially near the bottom where there are a lot of open creeks. Biggest surprise was discovering that blue velvet runs right thru it now, was really wondering where all the big rolls and flats had come from.

Dec 18. Winds light SW at ridgeline. Pretty much non-existent wind btl. HST 20 - 30cms depending on aspect. Super light and easy to break and break we did as Tues skin tracks are all filled back in.

Soft slab sz 1 at Cowboy Ridge on convexities on ski cut (didn't run far - only to bench).. Didn't look but probably ran on wind slab we could feel with poles and skis at ridgeline

Singing Pass even more filled in