Dogs biking in Moab/Fruita?

Thinking of heading down to either or both this November. Wondering what the program is with dogs... Fruita sounds pretty liberal with all the BLM land, camping, biking or otherwise, whereas Moab sounds pretty restrictive, mostly can't bring them on the trails, correct?
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

what trails are you not supposed to have dogs on in moab? I've never seen any signs but maybe I missed them.

we've brought ours a bunch in the past for camping- but we never take them on rides with us so I don't recall if they are prohibited on trails or not (usually just park in a shady spot and put up all the curtains in van and/ or just go on early or later day rides so as to not leave them at the hottest part of the day)

The fruita trails around 18 rd are probably easier to take the dogs on since they are shorter loops and camping right there etc

Or if you want to just leave em, then text me and I can pass on #'s for a couple dog sitters I have used

Also keep in mind in Moab if your dogs aren't used to running on rock they can tear the shit out of their pads in short order. Buddy had to bail on TWE after just a couple miles because his dogs were so wrecked.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Swine View Post
    Also keep in mind in Moab if your dogs aren't used to running on rock they can tear the shit out of their pads in short order. Buddy had to bail on TWE after just a couple miles because his dogs were so wrecked.
    agree- I love my dogs and like to bring them sometimes bc it's fun camping and hiking with them but they tend to ruin my mtn bike rides (one of our dogs used to be able to hang but he is too old now)

Echo what everyone has posted so far. Everything in Moab is legit for dogs except the national parks, but that's a given. We used karen's canine campground for a day on our last trip, good for your dog if they like to play with other dogs.
    And 18 road doesn't have the world's greatest trails or anything but its about as good as it gets for camping and short loops to do with dogs.

Cool thanks everyone! They can hang for about an hour but at 12 years old they're pretty beat after that.

Seem like temps aren't too bad this time of year down there... Having clear windows in the VW has never helped with them since they end up barking for hours at anything that moves haha.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

you obviously need a van

Remember to have proof of shots if you use Karens, before you head down. There is a good dog shop on main street that sells dog shoes, but REI in SLC will be cheaper. Big rains a day or two before means lotsa potholes of water for dogs on many of the rides. There is a good parking place on Kane Creek if you are doing Amasa, it's on the left with big walls to protect from the sun, I think there is an Indian ruin or something in that lot. Can't remember the name of it. But if it's not hot, with a cracked window there is no build up of heat down there.

And sorry Swine, but if you are bringing a dog on TWE you are a fucking moron! I hope you laughed at him when he had to bail.

Eh, I felt kind of bad but i wasn't shocked. It was a dumb idea. It was spring and his dogs were out of shape - border collie mixes, they could put down miles back in the fall but their pads (them as well) were out of shape from sitting around all winter. Started at Hazard and he made it down to the flat after the high speed beginning of Kokopelli. The night before they found a massive amount of cow shit, rolled in it, and then came back and tried to crawl into the tent with him. It wasn't his favorite weekend.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

Ha, I have border collie mixes. One loves to roll in stinky stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Ha, I have border collie mixes. One loves to roll in stinky stuff.
    haha, mine does too. especially dead fish when camping near water.

the pros say it's an old hunting trait, they mask their scent from their prey that way. never was able to train it out of her, and it sure can make for a bad time. I always bring shampoo and rag now just in case..

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    And sorry Swine, but if you are bringing a dog on TWE you are a fucking moron! I hope you laughed at him when he had to bail.
    Yeah, that was my first thought too. Even when my dog could rip, TWE is way too much. And all/mostly downhill, so way too fast.

Echo what others have said. Neither is the most dog friendly place in the sense that the desert can be a tough place for dogs, especially if riding. Very limited water, so make sure to bring a lot and stop long enough to let them drink a lot. Terrain that can be super hard on dog paws. Blazing sun if leaving them somewhere (even if the temps aren't high). They're one of the few places I would actively try to leave my dog at home, TBH, just to not have to worry, though it's definitely easier to bring them this time of year, and I'm by no means saying "don't bring the dog".
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I had my dog down there 3 weeks ago. I did have a someone that would watch him when we did our big days though.

He did good on Pipe Dream and Navajo Rocks. Pipe dream was slow enough that it was no problem. Navajo Rocks was a mix of slick rock and sand, It went back and forth quite a bit maybe giving some relief. A lot depends on how tough your dogs pads are, can they run on pavement without tearing up? They also need to be good about following the trail and you, there is a lot ok poky sticky things right off the trail.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025