Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

James Nehues area map artist

could've googled, figure better stories here, looked at his maps since 'Nam. Who is he?

PM Rontele
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

He is the father in law of a friend of mine.

dpps7890
    Last edited by Westmeister; 04-04-2018 at 02:33 PM.

Happy to be of service!

Where did we meet?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Good lord.

Well this thread is already awesome.

Here

http://www.jamesniehues.com/

I've always wondered what a hillside map of a network of bike trails would look like from him. But yeah Iike everyone else I'm used to seeing his name on pretty much every trail map of every US ski area ever. I'd dig seeing that painting style to layout some bike stuff.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Where's Dodge bridge?

That certainly went right over Benny's head....
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I have spent many, many hours salivating over his work. He's the best out there.
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.

I'm pretty sure Powder did a profile on him a few seasons back, can't remember any details though - you're welcome. All I can picture is Bob Ross, though:

"We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Awesome is as awesome does...
    Time for Tuckerman commissions a Nehues interpretation of The Ravine
    The kickstarters got a limited edition, but prints can be had from Nehues...click here to learn more:
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

That's awesome!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by robrox View Post
    Awesome is as awesome does...
    Looks like an anus with a large fissure to the right of Hillmans.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Looks like an anus with a large fissure to the right of Hillmans.
    Gee, I still don't see that. I do however wonder that "Head Wall" escaped such particular notice.
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

Quote Originally Posted by Westmeister View Post
    figures telemike, the loser of an even more losing tele tour you did in the 90's, I drank a beer with you and thought you were a tool and could not wait to get away from you. Solyent green, can't be more original than that name. Have fun at Dodge bridge
    He's also an idiotic anti vaxxer.

so, he has that going for him too

Thanks to the OP for this thread. A serious blast from the past for me. As a ski obsessed kid, I collected trail maps. There was and is something so cool about staring at trail maps and dreaming of the possibilities. I would even spend countless hours drawing my own trail maps of hills I made up. I often wondered about that name, Jim Nuhues. Always felt his work was the best. Hudson Bay Mountain redid their trail map 7 or so years back and I remember thinking, 'yeah it's O.K., but not as good as the ones that dude from when I was a kid cranks out.' Several decades on, I teach grade 7 and run an outdoor program at my school in Smithers. One of our projects involves inventing a ski hill and drawing a trail map. The kids really like making up trail names and drawing all the little trees and details. Most everyone probably knows about this, but check out skimap.org if you have not had a chance already.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Good lord.

Well this thread is already awesome.

Here

http://www.jamesniehues.com/

I've always wondered what a hillside map of a network of bike trails would look like from him. But yeah Iike everyone else I'm used to seeing his name on pretty much every trail map of every US ski area ever. I'd dig seeing that painting style to layout some bike stuff.
    Sweet that was well worth 20 mins of my time

Search him on FB, he updates now and again with projects he is in progress on, great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    One of our projects involves inventing a ski hill and drawing a trail map. The kids really like making up trail names and drawing all the little trees and details.
    Cool resources in this thread. Might have to buy a Nehues print. As a kid I would spend hours making 3-D ski maps. Basically you get a blank piece of paper, crumple it up then uncrumple it a bit and tape it down to the table or a big hard shell book (best to rotate it as your work on it) so it forms a blank white mountain in 3-D. Then you set at it with pens to make the lifts, trees, cliffs, etc.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Quote Originally Posted by LegoSkier View Post
    Cool resources in this thread. Might have to buy a Nehues print. As a kid I would spend hours making 3-D ski maps. Basically you get a blank piece of paper, crumple it up then uncrumple it a bit and tape it down to the table or a big hard shell book (best to rotate it as your work on it) so it forms a blank white mountain in 3-D. Then you set at it with pens to make the lifts, trees, cliffs, etc.
    That does sound like a fun thing to do.

@angle, I would imagine there would be some excellent trail names.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    My kid makes cool ski maps of exotic places.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by LegoSkier View Post
    Very cool.

I'm more of a Murray Hay fan myself

Murray Hay rocks. Grew up in Alberta skiing the Big 3 so he was prominently featured in my childhood trail map collection as well. Wish I had kept all those old trail maps.