Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Skiing is great. 5 yr old puking her way home to LA not so great...

You can get into Drop's from top, but definitely boney. Better than 2 weeks ago when it was a non-option, but seriously boney. Lots of shark fins and lurking land mines up top, but it was really good, light fluff up there. Just bring rock skis.

Shame on Mammoth for not getting Canyon or at least 17 open to access 4. Skied back there on Sunday and there is better coverage there now than end of last year. 6" of blown snow and a bit of grooming would have made the whole traffic fiasco a non-issue as the mountain itself wasn't crowded.

We spent 1 hr getting to Main on Saturday started at condo around 845am. Luckily avoided the fiasco by the brewery w/ super top secret route, but it still sucked. Dropped Team Comish off, then I parked 3/4 of a mile past ch 4. Basically almost to the Village. Good times. Thanks Mammoth for being too cheap!

Back up Saturday. Mini Comish can't wait for Mighty Mites to start which is pretty cool.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Puking kids is always fun.

Those skis working out for you?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Puking kids is always fun.

Those skis working out for you?
    Haven't get around to adjusting the bindings yet. They are just on the upper edge size wise for Mini Comish so will wait till we have some more snow and we are up for a few more days to get them out. Thanks!

It's quick and easy. Try 'em. I've always found Owen to be ready for bigger skis quicker than I thought.

Anyone up there this weekend? I'm curious to see how things are.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Shit was nice on Wednesday. Thin cover all over, but the snow was still good pretty much everywhere I skied. Only a couple of core shots.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Skiing has been good this weekend.
    Friday, packed but soft. Saturday, wind re-fills all day in the gullies: Dave's, China Bowl, Drop Out 3, left-side of Ralphies , Upper Dry Creek.
    Plenty of rocks on the approach to Upper Dry and top of DO3, but silky smooth once in the gut.
    Very windy this am.

Refilling Daves

Duffy!

Lower Climax & Upper Dry wind-pack

I have mastered all major sporting activities to a high degree of mediocrity.

Thanks for the report, have fun up there.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Wind buff all day (Sunday) and chalky powder if you search around. Lots of good turns to be had, but still lots of chocolate chips to watch out for. Most everything is pretty well packed, so no real hidden sharks teeth, but still rock skis are the call. Lots of wind, mild to moderate overcast, and surprisingly warm temps, but the snow has held up well. Crowds aren't bad, but parking was an issue.All in all, a good day for early December (let's keep that point in mind.)

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Can we get some fucking stoke going for this storm? 2 waves, right meow and another bigger dump Sunday day and night with colder temps. Monday or Tuesday will be the jam. Overall 3-4 feet in the next 4ish days. Stoked!!!!!!

Soooo superstitious.

And at the same time soooo stoked for next weekend. Will be my first time skiing Canyon, Eagle, Lincoln, etc., and looks like it may not suck.

GIT SUM!!
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

Did a late night drive from Reno to Mammoth Wednesday night. Thursday was fun storm session as it got deeper thru out the day. Dumped Thursday night/Friday morning. 1-2 ft of dry pow. Downside-crowds. Parking was almost to ch 4. Oh well. Hiked 22 bunch of times. Face shots in the avie's. Be cautious, it's still low tide. If you haven't been skiing it already this year, go slow and take your time. Eagle and Canyon opening today. No more driving to the "mean" lodge. Back at Mt Rose today for my boys ski program. It's already snowing lightly!

Any reports from today?

No.

I was up there Thursday thru Saturday and had a great time Friday over on chair 12 (maybe a foot of fresh) Saturday everything opened and was about a foot of fresh on the runs and off the top. Maybe a little deeper if you found spots where the wind blew in some extra. I am uncertain if the Lincoln mountain lifts opened, but I went back there via chair 10 and had a lot of fun. There was a lot of powder to be found on Saturday. It wore my out of shape legs out, as it was pretty heavy snow.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    No.

Pretty sweet weekend, until the power went out yesterday and I got stranded on 1 for about 20 or 30 minutes.
    Turns out power was out to the whole valley supposedly including Crowley. It was still out at our Chez Comish as of 4pm.

Saturday was a pretty stellar pow day. Uncrowded, cold, no wind, blue bird = Schweet! Still a bunch of shark fins out there, but coverage is getting better. Hoping to move on from my swiss cheese skis soon. Noids were $$$$! Some nice puffy fields of pow on the runout.

Sunday was windbuff in the morning until the cloud rolled in and the wind started howling. By 1pm it was dumping. Skiing an untracked few inches on top of the race runs in the maw was awesome!

Pretty psyched my troops packed it in about 45 minutes before the power outage. Having cold kids on a lift for 30 minutes when you don't know why it isn't running wouldn't be my idea of fun. That said, team Comish was skiing freshies!

Albeit an inch or 2, but 5 year old twins making first tracks in the storm and loving it (well 1 of them anyway) was pretty cool. Mini Comish was bummed Might Mites got cancelled at lunch, but he couldn't be more stoked and as we got in the car was singing about how Mighty Mites was next weekend.

I'm a fan of Team Comish.

Hoping and praying to get enough work done this week amidst two orthopedics interviews to make it late Friday night. Could be pretty money over the weekend… Anybody planning to make it up there?

Had to skip skiing yesterday locally just to catch up on work and sleep. Here's to hoping the trend does not continue!
    -Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Days View Post
    Could be pretty money over the weekend...
    The snow was pretty money today.

Woke up in some strange chick's bed and had to walk back to my room from the Village. There was a veritable parade of cars headed up the to the mountain. Shit! Began skiing around 9:15. A lot had been tracked out already, but even the chopped up shit was fun, and plenty of fresh stashes were available. A fatter ski would have been schweet!. Dave's opened up along with some other runs that had been closes thus far this season. Coverage is still very thin, but it's waaaay better than a couple weeks ago. Fucking cold, though! Good for the snow, but took a couple of hours for my feetsies to thaw.

Spent the morning skiing not realizing that my new boots (Cochise 120) were in the "walk setting". My previous boots didn't have walk setting. Once I figured out what was happening around 12:30, my legs were lunch meat. Not enough sleep and in a rush.

EDIT- Reno TV news reported a small system passing through on Thursday. Hope all y'all get a few inches.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

^^^photos or it didn't happen

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Spent the morning skiing not realizing that my new boots (Cochise 120) were in the "walk setting". My previous boots didn't have walk setting. Once I figured out what was happening around 12:30, my legs were lunch meat. Not enough sleep and in a rush.
    That's hilarious, I also have Cochise 120's and got 4 epic pow laps in on climax Monday morning before I realized I was still in walk mode....

I ski my Dynafit Titans in walk mode most of the time. It softens them a tad, but not that much. I don't notice much difference when I do switch to ski mode (I guess that just means I'm awesome)

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Making the first trip up of the year tonight. Staying near Canyon base. If anyone wants a ride up from SD got room in a rental SUV a friend and I are taking up (Subaru is in the shop)

I spent about 3 hours of cat skiing in walkmode

Ski you there, J!

Roll call for tomorrow?

Depending on any new snow, I may head to footloose for opening and pick up some boots (or forgo) and then bus up.

Have been itching to check out climax for a lap or two, and then probably to uncharted (for me) terrain around Canyon and Eagle (22??) before schredding the Schoolyard express with the woman lunchtime. Doesn't look like coverage on 23 is sufficient to warrant spending much time there, eh?

I'm the guy usually visible at the top of 23 from the bottom--obnoxious orange helmet and pants on probably white dps wailer 105s tomorrow.

J, I'll give you a call in the morning, brother.
    -Jimi Hendrix