Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Snowed, kinda sleeted, went back to snow, now nothing.

Thanks for posting the shot of her filled in.

Quote Originally Posted by nicolaib211v View Post
    It's raining in SLC, anyone up top that can confirm snow?
    Dry air adiabatic lapse rate = ~5°f/1k elevation gain
    Moist air adiabatic lapse rate =~3.5°f/1k elevation gain

Rule of thumb, if it's under 50°f in the valley, it's snow where it matters. This does not include Park City :P

it rained hard on this side. Looks like it was rain to the top. At least no visible snow line when I was out in the low light early morning. Last night when I left basketball it was raining hard. I chose to blame ISIS and Tallisker.

Quote Originally Posted by shreddingGNAR View Post
    I'd be up for a tour if you are still interested. I'm new to the area, but experienced in the backcountry. Shoot me a PM
    Pm'd 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    it rained hard on this side. Looks like it was rain to the top. At least no visible snow line when I was out in the low light early morning. Last night when I left basketball it was raining hard. I chose to blame ISIS and Tallisker.
    I'd guess it pissed rain up to at least 8500 feet last night, judging from what I saw on my morning commute.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I'd guess it pissed rain up to at least 8500 feet last night, judging from what I saw on my morning commute.
    At Brighton, we had snow start around 6 and it blew strong and snowed high density wet snow for 3h, resulting in a blizzard uphill and then very smooth descent for the Monday night ski crew. it probably totaled 2-3" of velvet when it was all said and done. Nice surprise!

I skinned up the White Pine Road yesterday to about 9,300' (the meadow below the Tri Chutes), and I saw no signs of new snow, only rain softened old snow. I also talked to a guy who had spent the night at Red Pine Lake to attempt a climb up the Pfeifferhorn (but turned back due to bad weather conditions), and he said he said there was fresh snow up higher but not until somewhere above 9,000'. Skiing down the WP Road wasn't too bad due to the warm temperatures, it was almost like Spring conditions. However, the 5 water crossings and 3 places that require careful picking your way through exposed rocks on the road did make the downhill run "interesting". I also ran into 2 other parties of 2, the first of which had gone up the road and then continued somewhere higher up into White Pine (maybe the upper basin?), but I didn't get a chance to talk to them as they skied downhill past me on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post

I am new to the area, so thought I'd introduce myself. I have about 5 years backcountry experience in the Cascades (lifetime skier, though), AIRE level 1, and gear. I am looking to meet some new touring partners. I am not fast, but I wouldn't call myself slow on the skin track either. I'm also a professional photographer, so my buddies all have lots of high quality photos of themselves getting after it. Send me a PM if you are searching for a touring buddy with photo/video skills.

take this to the Hook Up thread, you will have a better chance there.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiBear View Post
    I am new to the area, so thought I'd introduce myself. I have about 5 years backcountry experience in the Cascades (lifetime skier, though), AIRE level 1, and gear. I am looking to meet some new touring partners. I am not fast, but I wouldn't call myself slow on the skin track either. I'm also a professional photographer, so my buddies all have lots of high quality photos of themselves getting after it. Send me a PM if you are searching for a touring buddy with photo/video skills.
    hi my names dave i'm a chemically dependent brofessional ski bum.
    wecome to wasangles
    i'm unatheletetic, slow, but frequently safe
    aint gots much goin on behind or in front of the lens
    meet me up @ bees right on tom. morn w/ them crampons youre lookin to sel and i'll share an up down
    Other than that pour a sip out for the unofishcerial mayor of silverforks wife who sadly passed away
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

at the bottom of the worst air in the USA
    I thought you'd given your body up for medicinal study at Jones Hole fish hatchery and told them to cement you to the bottom of Red Creek Rapids with a rescue buoy ties on for crappy river navigators.
    Not soliciting business through casual internet associations

had a fun half day at Brighton, hit some rocks and soft spots in the trees. Runout of the seagull needs another 2 feet of base, another 1' maybe for Clayton's face and another 2+ for milly bowl. Down trees aren't even covered at 9,500. Patience for now, need to get my good camera back up and running. Decent temps making for some enjoyable weather though

Report of Skier triggered slide to the ground on west Monitor. Sounds like it was some asshole trying to get it to slide on purpose. Mark white to the courtesy phone....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Report of Skier triggered slide to the ground on west Monitor. Sounds like it was some asshole trying to get it to slide on purpose. Mark white to the courtesy phone....
    Any more info? Nothing on uac website or instagram

Quote Originally Posted by skiATL View Post
    Any more info? Nothing on uac website or instagram
    https://www.instagram.com/spindrift65/ <- most recent 2 posts

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    Ha! I follow you. your shit is better than 90% of instagram rubbish.
    I demoed the TECH TALK JONG! pro model this spring and their performance was unparalleled which is good because I ski in a wedge most of the time - bendtheski, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Skirotica View Post
    Ha! I follow you. your shit is better than 90% of instagram rubbish.
    That's not my Instagram account fwiw

Thanks for info. I wish there was a very direct way to see observations. Hastags are beneficial but aren't as easily seen/searched.

The avatech app looks great but I'm still waiting for it to upgrade to Android.

Ski cut: start at the top of the slope in a point of safety and pick out another point of safety across and down the slope. Then keep your speed up and cut across the avalanche starting zone, all the while weighting on your skis and trying to start an avalanche. In theory, your momentum should carry you off of the moving slab and into the island of safety if an avalanche breaks. You should ski cut the slope several times as you descend and at each breakover you encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Surprise surprise. Guys been fuckin shit up for everyone and waving his little dick on the Internet for years now. How many years in a row has he dropped the monitor??

Yeah didn't sound like that one was intentional, and it was a low-risk day across the avy rose. I don't know the guy (I think he was kinda thread-shitting last year at some point?) but his instagram is pretty decent.

Next few days oughta be interesting... 1-2' on top of this base...

Yeah didn't sound like that one was intentional, and it was a low-risk day across the avy rose. I don't know the guy (I think he was kinda thread-shitting last year at some point?) but his instagram is pretty decent.

Next few days oughta be interesting... 1-2' on top of this base...
    Agreed. And lots of pow starved people out there. Hopefully everyone keeps it safe.

Powdergoat get your facts straight old man, south monitor, just trying to get some turns before the storm, slide was a surprise to me. Haven't looked at this dribble until today, you should shut the fuck up and mind your own business, your observations are useless and you spend to much time armchair quarterbacking, I'm sure Dribbler will come up with some, mean spirited shit but your lame ass wisdom club doesn't mean shit to me, stated I should have ski cut it first, my bad, why the fuck would I want it to avalanche when I'm skiing it. if I was computer savy I'd put up a middle finger just for your old ass! Think some people might have appreciated my observation, information leads to enlightenment

Thanx Mark for cleaning out the crap before the dump. I appreciate your posts as well as Bobs. We're all anxious for some real snow, let's just all get along and stay on top. "Avalanches could care less who's an expert". We've lost some of our best over the years.