Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Wasatch stoke as good a place as any for this. Not sure if I missed this but just saw that long time Alta skier Naomi Wain passed away back in June. For those who don't know who Naomi was she was 93, had skied at Alta for 50 years. She lived in Santa Barbara and would ski Alta for two weeks each month January through April. Naomi stayed at the Alta Lodge and would be in the singles line at the Collins lift waiting for it to open every morning, just a joy to be around. Not only did she ski eight weeks at Alta last season, she skied in the Alps, went to the Galapagos Islands, drove up Highway 1 (500 miles) by herself in April and late May. She passed very suddenly while attending the Ojai Music Festival in early June. There is a YOUTUBE clip of Naomi from a few years ago when she won the Nastar Championship in Breckenridge, She does mention that she was the only one in her age group.

TAKE A RUN FOR NAOMI

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ^^^ thanks
    when it comes to the rich history and the unique flavor of the denizens that inhabit the ski resort that sits atop the little cottonwood canyon.
    i care
    gots them brakes for ya still if ya need em
    turning conditions had to improve
    thanks ullr
    happy vets day
    somebody go git sum 4 me
    may head up the bcc prob egp tom.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Thanks, still need them for sure, eta is 12-15, will give you a call when we arrive, thanks.

pretty cool read bd.

^^ it was on this morning and the snow was deeper than expected. only time for one and done at alta but a great way to start things off. nothing like ripping some pow turns with a few faceshots thrown in. did not hit a single rock. stoked to get this season going. get after it.

So got out for the first tour of the year today. It's still low tide and a bit spicy (rocky) out there, but still a great time was had...

Snow depth at Alta Parking was about 12"
    Snow depth at the top of Gunsight was about 20"

There was a 6-8" soft slab on the high ridges N-NE facing, but no real propagation. In one spot on a 45˚ slope with serious stomping I got a little 6ft wide pocket to move about a foot.

If the snow from yesterday had been higher density it would probably be pretty good to go, but the 16" we got is about 5% and it's not really doing that good of a job covering stuff up. The 6-10" of snow from the previous storms is compacted and covering well objects to that depth, but unfortunately lots of rock are bigger than 10".

One more good 15" storm should really open up lots of known safe early season terrain.

Obligatory post touring beer..

@pow_hnd

A person was caught and carried about 200ft in the Baldy Chutes; partially buried.

It's exciting to get out, but remember it's very early season. You're not missing much, if anything, if you're sticking to safe, easy terrain or even if you're just touring on the groomers before the resorts open.

There will be numerous weeks ahead to get on steeper stuff.

As usual, faceted snow will provide unreliable tests and is unpredictable. Consider this gamble/risk when you're getting on the north side; this will last for a long time.

^enough snow to ride, enough to slide.
    On a different note there's a couple pairs of praxis at the millcreek second tracks for good prices and a pair of bros labeled as "bluehouse bro models" lol.

Lots of people chomping at the bit and it's not even Thanksgiving yet ... if you follow the AIARE Facebook page or SnowBrains.com, you'll see that within the last week people have been caught in skier-triggered slides at Rogers Pass, Hatcher Pass AK, Crested Butte, and even Tahoe (Carson Pass) of all places.

This is a great time to take a minute, relax, and think about the avalanche problems in your terrain options right now before getting after it. Early season (bottomed out on rocks and grass) turns might be super fun, but they also might not be worth ending a season or life as payment.

I didn't see this posted in this thread yet, so here's the UAC's reboot of their KBYG video. Extremely well done and worth a watch!

See you soon SLC! Looks like this season it won't be Tahoe East, but I'll still be back at least a couple times.
    Last edited by SchralphMacchio; 11-12-2015 at 09:28 PM.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by ryan14410 View Post
    A person was caught and carried about 200ft in the Baldy Chutes; partially buried.

It's exciting to get out, but remember it's very early season. You're not missing much, if anything, if you're sticking to safe, easy terrain or even if you're just touring on the groomers before the resorts open.

There will be numerous weeks ahead to get on steeper stuff.

As usual, faceted snow will provide unreliable tests and is unpredictable. Consider this gamble/risk when you're getting on the north side; this will last for a long time.
    there is an er in hero
    i hope that bro had his airbag and helmets
    but stoked that anonymous persons alright
    22 degrees round 8ish and guns blazing

objective

pretty sure the summers over

but the death or injuries parts a constant
    some dickweed took the booter Buddhas
    a few mildly stubburn and consolidated wind slab on the booter
    but the stellar views are also constant

i'm training for

4 Naomi

silvers bout froze

Clems aint readies so back seat beatered my way through the lumberyard hopin for no whammies but sunk a tip in shubbery and gots whammied
    a few hoars on the solbright above the lake

venturing much off the evergreen/millies road =coreshot inducing
    Last edited by skifishbum; 11-13-2015 at 07:51 AM.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Checking in - would love to share stoke and shred private stashes with some mags this January The "man" told me I have to attend OR this year, so I'm hopping on a plane Jan 4th. First round is on me! PM me and I can hook ppl up with 50% off Mammut in exchange for some guiding services. ;-)

headed up for one off great western, stayed where they've been making snow/grooming b/c i like my board. not bad.

nice pic sir^^^ good talking to you and cant wait to get out there this winter,,,,,enjoy amigo
    always forward but never straight

I'm new to the wild Wasatch, just moved to SLC from South Lake Tahoe. I am looking to link up with some shred partners who are more familiar with the area. I'm a splitboarder, got my AIARE level 1, and got out for 25 tours last season in Tahoe. My work schedule varies but I'm available this week thurs-sun. Just wanted to get myself out there if anyone needs another partner, shoot me a pm. Stoked for the season and the activity on this thread!

We went up Snake at Brighton this morning early. Cold temps, shooting cracks, ground layer faceted, lots of wind loading. Stayed off anything too steep.

PM sent gnarchived, welcome!

me and the lady took a drive up Mirror Lake Sunday. It's nice to sit there and watch Hayden Peak absorb the last rays of the day. Love this spot. Gl & stay safe all-

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    We went up Snake at Brighton this morning early. Cold temps, shooting cracks, ground layer faceted, lots of wind loading. Stayed off anything too steep.
    At least the sunrise was good! And plenty of fresh corduroy to go around.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1447801204.296953.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	171984

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    PM sent gnarchived, welcome!

me and the lady took a drive up Mirror Lake Sunday. It's nice to sit there and watch Hayden Peak absorb the last rays of the day. Love this spot. Gl & stay safe all-

Lotta good looking lines here...

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    Good observations and cheers to staying safe. How early?

Quote Originally Posted by gnarchived View Post
    Good observations and cheers to staying safe. How early?
    Think we started skinning around 5.

headed up millies bout 8 low 20's and graybird
    some significant wind jackage and drifts in higher elavation non sheltered terrain
    a few collapses on steeper test slopes and road cuts
    hasties showing a good bit of spatial variability
    from basal failure on isolation
    to failure on old/ recent new snow interface
    and some on older nov layer.

skied about as well as a 20" base should

I went up yesterday afternoon near where SFB was -- TLP then up the ridge to the bottom of Patsy Marley Hill. Tried to ski down the trees along the fringe of the open slope below Patsy's and then down over to the open slopes in Grizzly below TLP. The whole ridge and most of the slopes below Patsy's are pretty wind damaged. Just below the bottom of Patsy's where the slope is really gentle there were a few spots where I couldn't get enough speed to glide downhill and had to pole and walk my skis downhill. The drop off from Patsy Trees into the main Grizzly Gulch is still basically a rock garden. I didn't have fun there at all. Another party of 3 skinned up and skied about the same route as I did, and I think they had the same results. The exit route from Grizzly near the houses back down to the summer road still requires lots of caution. I skied that last Friday and ended up removing my skis and walking the last 200 yards. Yesterday the cover was much better. But, that means it's now good enough that many of the rocks that were exposed last week are covered over so that they're hard to detect until your skis run over or into them. Beware!

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    headed up millies bout 8 low 20's and graybird
    some significant wind jackage and drifts in higher elavation non sheltered terrain
    a few collapses on steeper test slopes and road cuts
    hasties showing a good bit of spatial variability
    from basal failure on isolation
    to failure on old/ recent new snow interface
    and some on older nov layer.

Quote Originally Posted by lhitchner View Post
    But, that means it's now good enough that many of the rocks that were exposed last week are covered over so that they're hard to detect until your skis run over or into them. Beware!
    Saw a guy nail a rock and go for quite a tumble there yesterday. I nearly did the same thing near the top of the Albion lift. Lotsa sharks out there.

SAR up on Little Superior / Hellgate area. Been there for a few hours. Not sure what's up, but hope it's alright.

i saw a sar maggot on my tv
    42 yo male snowshoed up to board down
    cliffed out
    all safe & on way down
    whats the fox says
    #sfotexsarsinnomaxjeans

^ lol... glad the jong's ok