Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

North Shore, Squamish, Whistler - 4 days what to ride?

End of July, will hopefully have 4 days to ride. Was thinking Comfortably Numb one day? Another day Top of the World at Whistler and fiddle around the bike park the rest of the day. For the other 2 days what do you recommend for an east coaster?

I know the options are endless but figured there's probably a handful of "greatest hits"?
    Fairly strong XC rider, don't mind climbing, like fast and/or technical descents, don't do much jumping.

Thanks!

I think you'd want to have another day in the park.

If your looking to travel more though, go up to Pemberton one day. It feels a lot different than the riding around whistler and Squamish. It's dryer maybe?

Tenquille Lake (north of Pemberton), Nimby climb (Pemberton), Full Nelson (Squamish), maybe even Elfin Lakes for the scenery (Squamish), River runs through it/train wreck for short Whistler rides.

You can't miss Squamish. There are 2 general zones, Alice Lake/Garibaldi Highlands and Diamond Head.

Alice Lake tends to be more (very) technical XC, with the famous rock slabs and trails with roots and punchy climbs. Start with any of Rupert, Credit Line, and Crouching Squirrel then increase the challenge from there.

Diamond Head is more sustained descents, but there is a great singletrack climb to the top. Classics are Half Nelson, Pseudotseuga, Angry Midget. Cross the road for more tech and check out Hoods in the Woods (a bit easier) or Somewhere Over There (harder but maybe my favourite trail in Squamish).

Top of the World -> Khyber Pass -> Babylon by bike -> something else down in the valley (e.g. business time) is a really awesome ride and friendlier for a trail bike than most of the stuff in the bike park.

So forget anything in and around Vancouver if we only have a short time?

North Shore, Squamish, Whistler - 4 days what to ride?

Quote Originally Posted by marving View Post
    So forget anything in and around Vancouver if we only have a short time?
    It might be because getting out of town feels special, but I'd spend more time in Squamish/Whistler/Pemberton. To me, the stuff in Van is more of an after work ride.

That said, there is some great stuff on the Shore and I'm sure you'd have a great time. Seymour has seen a lot of work lately and there is a great network of singletrack trails that link nicely for loops. The main popular descents are Severed, Asian Adonis (both more of a rip), Pangor (more technical), Forever After (a mix of tech and flow with some punchy climbs).

Fromme is great as well. There is a fairly challenging singletrack climb that has recently been built, or you can climb the gravel road. A nice lap is 7th Secret into either Expresso or Leppard/Crinkum Crankum/Kirkford. Executioner/Dreamweaver is a nice fast, rough rip. If you're exiting to where the climb starts, Lower Crippler is my favourite way out, which has some fun rock lines.

We are really quite spoiled here.

You sure are planning early huh.

Pemberton; up happy, NIMBY and part of middle earth, down Rudy overnight sensation then from that elevation there is a bunch of options, maybe loop around mosquito Lake and do no err, econoline econo Dave to radio tower /moose jaw. Then go to one mile eatery and get a sweet burger.

There, I planned a quarter of your trip for you. Although Pemberton is always hotter+drier than the other towns in the summer so it might not be that great end of July, it's great right now actually.

You should do a couple days of bike park IMO.

Lots of good suggestions here. If you are interested in riding the shore you might be able to do a lap the night before you head up to Whistler, or on the way back through if you just want a taste. That way you can dedicate full days to other rides.

As for the bike park, do not underestimate how hard a full day or two will be on your hands and forearms. Doing something like Comfortably Numb or other valley trail in the morning and then half day at the bike park might be a good option. They limit the number of tickets sold for Top of the World, so be aware of that if you're set on that ride.

Another Vancouverite here, with only 4 days I wouldn't bother with the Shore for a full day, the quality of riding is higher in the other S2S areas you are visiting.

If you want to spend a morning or evening (daylight to 9;30 that time of year) to go up Fromme and ride 7th Secret to Pipeline or Ladies Only to see some of the cool woodwork and rocky stuff it is known for.

My wife and I were just talking about The Canada, and I told her I'd query my internet friends.

-What is the riding season like up there? I imagine it's kind of short, since it's like, winter for like, 9 months in the great white north. But perhaps my southern perspective has warped my perception?
    However many are in a shit ton.

The Canada is big it's all different. Where I grew up in Victoria there's no such thing as winter, riding is year round, Vancouver and sunshine Coast similar. In Whistler typically may-oct, bike park is may long weekend till Canadian Thanksgiving, usually ride the other trails for a few weeks before/after varies by year though; this year more.

I haven't lived anywhere else so I dunno what the rest is really like.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    My wife and I were just talking about The Canada, and I told her I'd query my internet friends.

-What is the riding season like up there? I imagine it's kind of short, since it's like, winter for like, 9 months in the great white north. But perhaps my southern perspective has warped my perception?
    Squamish and Van are rideable pretty much year-round. There are usually a couple weeks a year where the trails are snow-covered after a dump of snow, though that didn't happen last year.

Whistler trails are usually snow-covered Dec-Apr ish.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post

I ride 200+ days a year. Do 45 - 50 days of trailwork. Ski 100 days a year. The math is weird but thats because the density of trails and skiing and proximity of populated centres to skiing, biking, and trails is outrageous. And we have relatively few people so it works well

Edit - forgot to say that although Van and Squamish is rideable close to year round I skip Jan to April in normal ski years to just do trailwork and just ski. Otherwise biking might get boring and one doesn't want to chance that.

marving - 4 days is sweet fuck all. Spend all your time in whistler just to minimize the amount of driving. You could do 4 days in the park and be happy. Hell you could do 4 days in just the West Side area of trails in Whistler (one of 9 "areas" and be happy. Get the WORCA map.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I ride 200+ days a year. Do 45 - 50 days of trailwork. Ski 100 days a year. The math is weird but thats because the density of trails and skiing and proximity of populated centres to skiing, biking, and trails is outrageous. And we have relatively few people so it works well

Edit - forgot to say that although Van and Squamish is rideable close to year round I skip Jan to April in normal ski years to just do trailwork and just ski. Otherwise biking might get boring and one doesn't want to chance that.

marving - 4 days is sweet fuck all. Spend all your time in whistler just to minimize the amount of driving. You could do 4 days in the park and be happy. Hell you could do 4 days in just the West Side area of trails in Whistler (one of 9 "areas" and be happy. Get the WORCA map.
    Well we'll be in the area at least a week, I just can't ride more than 4 days since I'll be with my family. And even at that I'd ideally want to start early and be back for lunch. We'll probably be in Vancouver a couple days before heading up to whistler which is why I figured I might as well check out some north shore trails at least one day while I'm there. Is fromme is the best of the 3?

I'll take your advice and skip Squamish unless there's a quick shuttle lap I could do on the day we drive up, my wife could drop me off and pick me up before continuing onto whistler.

So forget comfortably numb and just do 3 days of bike park? Is top of the world fun on a 140mm or is it really designed for a DH? I'll have my stump jumper with me

Thanks!

Ps. To whoever said I'm planning ridiculously early, I am, because I have time now and won't later

Well we'll be in the area at least a week, I just can't ride more than 4 days since I'll be with my family. And even at that I'd ideally want to start early and be back for lunch. We'll probably be in Vancouver a couple days before heading up to whistler which is why I figured I might as well check out some north shore trails at least one day while I'm there. Is fromme is the best of the 3?

I'll take your advice and skip Squamish unless there's a quick shuttle lap I could do on the day we drive up, my wife could drop me off and pick me up before continuing onto whistler.

So forget comfortably numb and just do 3 days of bike park? Is top of the world fun on a 140mm or is it really designed for a DH? I'll have my stump jumper with me

Thanks!

Ps. To whoever said I'm planning ridiculously early, I am, because I have time now and won't later
    Ok this gives more colour. All assumes you are a competent rider. Look these all up on Trailforks

IMO Fromme is easier to navigate then Seymour. Just park at the parking lot at Mountain Highway ride up the road as far as practical. Drop into 7th Secret and take the trail down back to the parking lot. Probably 3 hours.

For Squamish - get wife to drop you off at Cat Lake (best to have high clearance vehicle or something that can navigate potholes). Ride Cheshire Cat (relatively harder) or Section 57 (relatively easier). Ride Wonderland. Probably a 1hr to 1.5hr ride for you. Wife can chill at Bean Brackendale (see Tripadvisor for map) and you can ride to the coffee shop

For Whistler.

- For sure you can do Comfortably Numb. Just bring water. You can do it the traditional way or you can do it "backwards" via the BCBike Race route climbing Yummy Nimby then CN "backwards" and out via Jeffs trail. Trad way - 4, 5 hours. "Backwards" - 3 hours.

- Top of the World is fine on a 140mm bike. You are a perfect candidate for this - http://www.pinkbike.com/u/leelau/blo...fall-2015.html

- Lots of other suggestions for Whistler that are perfect for time-constrained dads. That IMO is a large part of Whistler's attraction. Tons of choices already listed upthread.

Jeez, no love for CBC at all? I was blown away by the construction of the trail, never mind riding it. You guys are fucking spoiled. It's such an easy shuttle for a morning lap, too, if he's in Vancouver.

For shuttles we used to ride mostly Seymour back in the day - CBC to Pangor/Boogie or Neds. When I go home now all everyone wants to ride is Cypress or Squamish. CBC required a bit of pedalling and technical ability. I guess everyone just wants tons of flow these days.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Jeez, no love for CBC at all? I was blown away by the construction of the trail, never mind riding it. You guys are fucking spoiled. It's such an easy shuttle for a morning lap, too, if he's in Vancouver.
    I did 4-5 years of maintenance on it and am pretty burnt out on that trail.

A lot of the work on CBC was really sweet but we always wondered if the tight rocked in s-turns for example that Jeremy did were really worth the effort. I haven't ridden it in 8-9 years but from the vids it looks like it is completely paved now. I don't blame you for feeling burnt out Lee that trail needs never ending mtce.

I did 4-5 years of maintenance on it and am pretty burnt out on that trail.
    But what about for a first-time visitor form the east coast? Is there better jems out there nearby? Honestly asking, I don't know.

That trail was a memorable experience for me, I was blown away on how much work was put into it. And it was some good vert all the way down, not sure what trail I took after CBC though.

Just because you're a xc rider, don't miss out on trying the Whistler bike park. It's not something I want to do regularly, but it's mountain biking's Disneyland. Rent a DH rig and all the accessories and spend a day exploring the park. Every time I've taken my all-mountain bike into the park I've missed out on performance (smoothing out all those brake bumps, and moderating arm pump) and have broken parts that cancelled out any cost savings.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    But what about for a first-time visitor form the east coast? Is there better jems out there nearby? Honestly asking, I don't know.

That trail was a memorable experience for me, I was blown away on how much work was put into it. And it was some good vert all the way down, not sure what trail I took after CBC though.
    yeah I'd only have a half day to ride somewhere on the north shore so ideally I'd like it to be one that really shows off the uniqueness of the area and what it's famous for (wood work).

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Just because you're a xc rider, don't miss out on trying the Whistler bike park. It's not something I want to do regularly, but it's mountain biking's Disneyland. Rent a DH rig and all the accessories and spend a day exploring the park. Every time I've taken my all-mountain bike into the park I've missed out on performance (smoothing out all those brake bumps, and moderating arm pump) and have broken parts that cancelled out any cost savings.
    I'd even go as far as to say to get the entire rental package plus a half day lesson. The lesson on top of the package works out to about $30 - 40 and is worth it.

yeah I'd only have a half day to ride somewhere on the north shore so ideally I'd like it to be one that really shows off the uniqueness of the area and what it's famous for (wood work).
    CBC has good quality woodwork but the riding experience due to erosion is IMO poor. If you want a half day riding experience that shows off woodwork while having decent trails then hit this combination: Corkscrew - Pingu - either Pangor(easier) or Boogieman (harder but with the option to cut off to Pangor to avoid the hardest last part of Boogieman). That route will take you 2 - 4 hours. 2 if you can ride woodwork. 4 if you can't ride woodwork because you'll be hiking lots).

CBC is above all the trails I just mentioned and will take you 1 to 2 hours.

If you really want to get the best out of this hire http://www.ozmosistraining.com/ or www.endlessbiking.com. While most people poohpooh guides or instruction my impression is that most Shore Squamish Whistler riding is in your head and getting instruction right off the bat sets you up nicely for the rest of your week.

I'd even go as far as to say to get the entire rental package plus a half day lesson. The lesson on top of the package works out to about $30 - 40 and is worth it.

CBC has good quality woodwork but the riding experience due to erosion is IMO poor. If you want a half day riding experience that shows off woodwork while having decent trails then hit this combination: Corkscrew - Pingu - either Pangor(easier) or Boogieman (harder but with the option to cut off to Pangor to avoid the hardest last part of Boogieman). That route will take you 2 - 4 hours. 2 if you can ride woodwork. 4 if you can't ride woodwork because you'll be hiking lots).

CBC is above all the trails I just mentioned and will take you 1 to 2 hours.

If you really want to get the best out of this hire http://www.ozmosistraining.com/ or www.endlessbiking.com. While most people poohpooh guides or instruction my impression is that most Shore Squamish Whistler riding is in your head and getting instruction right off the bat sets you up nicely for the rest of your week.
    Thanks that's awesome, really appreciate all the advice