Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gonna buy a bike this weekend: Which one?

Due to many reasons, mainly price and availability, I've narrowed it down to a 2016 Reign for $3400 or a 2015 Enduro FSR Comp, for $2800. I haven't ridden either, I know if I ride the Reign I will love it. Enduro, not so sure about, but I love the price, could be great bike? Anyone ride either of them?

And right before I posted I saw this guy pop up: http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1857147/

Any last-minute advice? Don;t care too much if one or the other sucks uphill as I have a CC bike for that.
    Last edited by muted; 10-09-2015 at 07:24 PM.

Why not love for the SC Bronson 27.5C? Same price range as the Giant, but you get a carbon frame.

Specialized carbon frames are LIFETIME WARRANTY.....

I would buy nothing else but specialized at the moment.

endure bikes are so fun....if you are tall get 29er.....if not, which ever one fits you the best.

im not a Giant ( go SF Giants!) Bicycles fan due some strange design choices over the years.

Specialized has the most simple pivot system and a great parts/warranty department with Fox and amazing shipping times for warranty items.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Why not love for the SC Bronson 27.5C? Same price range as the Giant, but you get a carbon frame.
    A carbon SC for 3400? I haven't seen that anywhere. I thought the Nomad was more like the Reign, but it starts at about 5100. Bronson has got mixed reviews so it wan't on my wish list. There is a SC demo day in town tomorrow, I could try one on if the price was right.

Giant all the way. Everytime I get on one, I love it. Same with scott and commencal.

Specialized have to offer lifetime warranties... Virtually everyone I know who rides a spec has broken the frame... Their service is good providing you have a good relationship with your LBS

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    Specialized have to offer lifetime warranties... Virtually everyone I know who rides a spec has broken the frame... Their service is good providing you have a good relationship with your LBS
    yeah, your sample size is way too small to have a real opinion ..... however, Cannondale might be a different story....
    Terje was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post

carbon frame but Deore and sektor instead of a pike....

I would rather have Al and the nice stuff...

we have some unbeatable deals at my shop this weekend. Basically 25% off all in stock mt bikes over $1k. Wanna fatboy for under $1600?

No need for a fat bike, we have good skiing out there to compensate for winter time. /snark Thanks though. You only a Specialized dealer?

I'd love to find a Large 2015 Reign 2 on sale somewhere, anywhere, but no luck so far.

I would go with the Giant personally... but really, if you can, try to ride them.

As for the Pike vs. sektor - the truth is most people can't really tell the difference and it's not like the sektor with 150mm of travel is some piece of garbage. If you can still find one of those v1 Bronson Carbon C builds around I'd get that over the other two. But of course I have a Bronson so I'm biased.

EDIT: This is sweet deal - because they're clearing them out before the v2's arrive: http://www.cambriabike.com/Bronson-C...reen-Large.asp

Of course you'd still have to add a dropper post.
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 10-10-2015 at 11:15 AM.

I know it's not on the radar, but bought a Devinci Spartan XP Carbon on sale for 3800 Canadian ($0.78 US). Carbon frame w lifetime, Pike, and put a OneUp and single on it so another 200 total.

Climbs fine with the RC 2 position pike even though it's heavy, scares me everytime going down.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

Thanks for all the advice, I ended up finding a 2015 Reign 2 for $3000 and bought it. Better than then the Specialized price-wise, because for 2800 I'd still have to buy a seat dropper and different tires.

Bronson I don't believe is in the same DH class as a Reign, but I haven't ridden it. Devinci Spartan XP Carbon looks sweet, but too late. At this point I don't want to ask how to get a CA bike to the states, but yeah the exchange rate is awesome right now!

Now to ride the thing.

^^ That's a good find. It's not easy to find much of a discount on Giants in general but if you can get one in CAN that's a smart move.

Too late to help muted, but as a general note on a similar bike for anyone else looking: I recently found the Jamis Defcon to be surprisingly close to ridable. No big surprises, just a nice predictable 160mm bike that didn't seem to be screwed up in any obvious ways, pedaled reasonably, etc. Looks to be a good deal price-wise.

I found a demo Transition Scout 1 for $3k. Transition build it for the Jackson and Snowmass demo's, then gave it to Ute City to sell.
    Really sweet bike!

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I found a demo Transition Scout 1 for $3k. Transition build it for the Jackson and Snowmass demo's, then gave it to Ute City to sell.
    Really sweet bike!
    retail for 5K,

30LBS without pedals.....125mm rear travel.....not a lot of bang for the buck....even at 3k
    Terje was right.

The way the currencies have run 2015 models have super cheap Cdn MSRP's, pretty much equivalent to US #'s. The difference for 2016's has evaporated with Cdn bikes gaining about 10-15% on the sticker price compared to last year.

Enjoy the ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    retail for 5K,

30LBS without pedals.....125mm rear travel.....not a lot of bang for the buck....even at 3k
    Bullshit. Solid deal. They got anymore, Shredhead?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    No, I got the last one.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    retail for 5K,

What? 3k for a pike, monarch, xt brakes, xo1 drivetrain, and a dropper doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.

And have you ridden a new 5" bike with a 140 upfront? Pretty damn capable, especially for someone who prioritizes big rides over schralping the absolute most gnar

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    yeah really. Sometimes numbers do not tell the whole story.

Also, 30 pounds, so what? Get in shape if that's too much for you.

Lots of great bikes out there. Buy one and like it. Upgrade it and love it. Whatever you get, it'll be a money trap and you'll be happy for it.
    However many are in a shit ton.