White gas stove advice

So I have another thread started on keeping a cooler above freezing and this one is on the same theme. I will be extended (months) car camping this winter. I will be cooking many of my meals on a portable stove.

I grew up car camping with the coleman white gas stove and bought the self contained single burner coleman stove when I started backpacking. Later I bought and still have in the gear closet a primus white gas stove similar to the whisperlight.

For the past 15 years or so I have used bottled gas, either coleman for car camping or msr/primus for backpacking and have been spoiled by its ease of use and easy temperature control.

The coleman lp fuel is particularly sensitive to cold-have read about increasing the oraface diameter for cold, but would need to know more if I go that route. The msr/primus cans work in the cold, but they are pricey and like the coleman you loose available fuel to temperature.

White gas as a fuel source makes the most sense economically.

Problem is I do not like the flare up on lighting, the poor low temperature regulation, spilled fuel mess.

So I probably will end up using my primus white gas stove, but would consider investing in a new one if the above deficiencies have been overcome.

http://www.coghlans.com/products/fire-paste-8607

try some firestarter ^^good for campfires or starting yer stove
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Most white gas stoves (Whisperlite included, and I'm assuming your Primus as well) are pretty terrible for actual cooking. They can burn any petroleum distillate, and they burn HOT, but there's no modulation. Simmering is impossible and you're gonna burn anything that isn't pasta. There are a couple exceptions though. The best one I'm aware of is the MSR Dragonfly. Has an EXCELLENT simmer, nice and stable, very easy to use.

The gas flareup at start is necessary to heat the generator tube. Once the tube is superheated, it vaporizes the liquid fuel and turns it gaseous. You could "pre-heat" the generator with a little butane pocket torch which would minimize the flare up by (I'm just guessing) 80-90%. Or maybe eliminate it entirely? It might be worth the investment for long term car camping? You'll just have to warm up the butane canister in your jacket before using it.

To minimize fuel spills, you'll want to get a nice large fuel bottle so you don't have to refill it often. I think MSR makes them as large as 33 oz. That should hold you over for 1-2 weeks at a time. And when you refill it, use a small funnel and that will pretty much eliminate spills. I think MSR even makes a nice little fuel funnel with a built in filter (important if you're using shitty kerosene) and a breather tube so the fuel drains smoothly into the bottle without "glugging."

That would certainly be my choice for long term winter camping. I'm sure Primus (and others) have comparable white gas stoves with a good simmer, I just don't know anything about them.

Or you could just use this bad boy for the ultimate in dirtbag convenience and luxury. A white-gas two burner coleman stove!

http://www.rei.com/product/883480/co...2-burner-stove

I know that stove well.

I had read good things about the dragonfly when I researched stoves a while ago. Sounds like it is the one to get if you don't mind the weight. Knew about the funnel, but think I need a new as the old one is lost. Great idea about the butane lighter. I remember using a gel in the winter time to preheat the stove.

Have not fired up my primus in years so I think I will see how that goes. It mostly roars, not much of a simmer.

Thinking 2 stoves one butane and one refined gasoline. One for easy cooking and one for bulk. Plus I already have both.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokeSomeRibs View Post
    The best one I'm aware of is the MSR Dragonfly. Has an EXCELLENT simmer, nice and stable, very easy to use.
    I've used a Dragonfly for years as my "real cooking" stove (usually risotto) and the simmer mode is excellent. For fast-and-light instant soup and tea trips, the Reactor is awesome.

Dragonfly simmer is good but you can still burn real food if you are not careful because the burner is small hence concentrated at the centre. Also they are loud as fuck if that matters.

I have the original nova white gas stove and find that it is easier to cook with in the cold over the dragonfly. I can't speak to the new nova. Why not get a bigger refillable propane tank and use that with your camping two burner instead of the disposable bottles?

Thought about that, but too much space in car.

I use a MSR Windpro II. I also bought an adapter for it that lets me use cheap green coleman bombs. Works great in the cold.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I have the original nova white gas stove and find that it is easier to cook with in the cold over the dragonfly. I can't speak to the new nova. Why not get a bigger refillable propane tank and use that with your camping two burner instead of the disposable bottles?
    I still use an almost 9 year old Brunton/Optimus Nova+. Literally thousands of lights on it in temps down to -15 F. Just replaced the leather cup for the first time earlier this summer. It simmers really well and doesn't sound like a jet taking off like the Dragonfly. I have no complaints.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by BrokeSomeRibs View Post
    Or you could just use this bad boy for the ultimate in dirtbag convenience and luxury. A white-gas two burner coleman stove!

http://www.rei.com/product/883480/co...2-burner-stove
    I have a 35 year old one of these and it's still going hot and strong. If you have space nothing beats and controls flame like these.