Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Looking to replace my 07 Seth Vicious

So i've been riding these same skis for almost 10 years, they have held up fantastically. I got these when I was still a teenager and have put them through hell. As in, 4 seasons of drought hell and still going after it when there's only 2 feet of base.... that 100% of had just snowed in the previous 24 hours in Tahoe in February.

Anyways the edges are still on them, but one of the mount bolts is stripped and the bases are completely shot.. Several core shots on each side, one that reaches the edge but no matter how many times the ptex gets torn out the edge stays on.
    http://www.skis.com/K2-Seth-Vicious-...efault,pd.html[1]
    those are the skis. 189 CM

I'm 5'10" and 180 lbs. I ski hard at squaw every year, used to race there and can't stress enough how I need a reliable and stiff ski that won't wobble.
    On a non pow day I'll bomb groomers to 60+ mph or just make GS turns on moguls because that's how we do. On pow days i'll drop cliffs and get as many turns as possible. I need a ski that can keep up with me, like these Seths, but they gotta be new.

Any suggestions?

Twin tip (or near twin tip) is a must. I need an all around ski, with emphasis on big mountain and stability at speeds if there must be one.

I started doing research a couple days ago.. Looking at the Moment Governors, Belafonte, or Bibbys at around the 186 CM mark. Also "The Metal" by J skis, I'm open to looking some other ones up. I heard the old Bibbys (now the same as the NEW bibbys) are a pretty sweet ski. I'd like something I'll feel comfortable doing high speeds on hard pack because that's just how tahoe is these days. Honestly the only reason I haven't upgraded is because I like these K2s so much, they're stable damp and fast. A little more playfullness wouldn't hurt.

Is 115 underfoot too wide? My seths are only 98.. Thanks ahead for any thoughts

Blizzard Peacemaker.

only issue I have with Blizzard is 8 years ago my mom bought a pair of their skis, which promptly split open. And she doesn't ski hard. has their manufacturing/build quality improved?

I didn't mention that reliability was important, but I'd like to find a ski that will last me another 8 years.. I'm a 1 pair of skis guy.. willing to shell out $$$ for durability

ON3P Wrenegade 112

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    ON3P Wrenegade 112
    Exactly.

I have a hard time believing you're as rad as you claim if you skied Seths for 4 years and were happy with their stiffness, stability, and durability. Because they're not particularly known for any of those things.

But if you are that rad, Moment Garbones.

^ He said it. I bet he tracks his speed by his app?
    Uno mas

i'm not the best skier on the mountain but I do push it. Most difficult bomb I've probably ever done is 10 foot drop at the top of the slot and lined it out to where it flattens out in some afternoon pow day chop at squaw. countless hits on KT and Granite. My biggest hit isn't huge (20-30 ft), but I'm not in tahoe 24/7 and it just hasn't snowed much. I've lined and made super G turns in GS Bowl and Granite through crud so many times... I know there are hundreds of people capable of much more than me at Squaw but I hold my own. Anyways, only reason I care about so much about speed is because it doesn't snow in Tahoe and I otta keep myself occupied.

i also don't claim to be a gear wealth of knowledge. the seths have worked for me for quite some time and I've been in denial about how they're probably just not very good. I have no point of reference for other freeskiing skis. Just as I was ready to get deep into skiing regularly after getting out of college(winter 2012) it stopped snowing, at all.

Regardless, I'll look into these suggestions. Haven't heard anyone mention any Moments besides you adren, are they disliked for any reason? I go out and make shit work, so whatever I get I know will be better than these Seths but they seemed good at the time. Maybe my mind will be blown when I finally get a different pair under my feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    ^ He said it. I bet he tracks his speed by his app?
    I mean, I have.. Colorado trip last winter was lackluster in January. You get desperate after 4 days of riding bumps and groomers. Hit 70 on those seths after several attempts, lol

ON3P 114 Jeffrey...

Looking to replace my 07 Seth Vicious

Take this as good natured encouragement. Really, if you've been crushing it on the Seths, there are some eye opening alternatives out there. You'll be stoked on a new set up. Go stiff, tip rocker, flat tail, ~105ish under foot?? Maybe a Blizzard varietal?
    Uno mas

But, are you aggressive?

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    Take this as good natured encouragement. Really, if you've been crushing it on the Seths, there are some eye opening alternatives out there. You'll be stoked on a new set up. Go stiff, tip rocker, flat tail, ~105ish under foot?? Maybe a Blizzard varietal?
    amen dude. can't wait to find out what i've been missing for these years.. seems like everyone has moved on to 110+ underfoot though, not sure how I feel about that or how it'll affect the way I ski. When I bought those seths myself and all my buddies thought THEY were fat at 98 under foot!

The Seth Vicious was the first ski I really loved. When I think of all the stuff I did on them in boots that were 3 sizes too big, I must have been a way better skier back then (i.e., before I took the better part of 3 seasons off to focus on school). But newer skis are just much better in 3D snow.

If you're not skiing switch much, I really want to recommend the ON3P 191 Billy Goat. It's SO much more stable than the Seth Vicious, but it's not great on groomers and not super playful. For more playful, try the Caylor/Jeffrey or Bibby Pro. The Praxis RX or GPO also come to mind. Lot of excellent skis out there these days. Hard to go wrong, really. (Until you start getting picky.)

If you've been skiing the 189 (which measures like 193) with no rocker, definitely get something 190+.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I have some 12/13 188 Rossi super 7s with metal in them. Great shape.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    If you've been skiing the 189 (which measures like 193) with no rocker, definitely get something 190+.
    actual length of 193? They are the 189s and that would explain a lot, I always felt like they were pretty long as I'm only 5'10" and numerous times have noticed the skis don't fit laterally where i'm trying to go. A little shorter might not be the worst thing for me, squaw is relativley big for Tahoe but most runs don't have a mile of vert to let them run out on.

I didn't say it earlier, but I am trying to go slightly shorter than these 189s.. they've always felt just a little too long.. and because I'll solely be riding these, I think I'm leaning towards slightly more playful/easier to maneuver than these seths have been, even if it was just because of raw length.

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    ON3P 114 Jeffrey...
    Seconded

I'm thinking if you want playful, yet still stable and able to charge, 191 ON3P Jeffrey 114 seems like the ticket. You could also consider a 193 Praxis MVP but I think the ON3P is going to be more damp and better in crud. The MVP will be lighter.

THIS:
    Quote Originally Posted by jahoney View Post
    I ski hard at squaw every year, used to race there and can't stress enough how I need a reliable and stiff ski that won't wobble.
    On a non pow day I'll bomb groomers to 60+ mph or just make GS turns on moguls because that's how we do. On pow days i'll drop cliffs and get as many turns as possible. I need a ski that can keep up with me, like these Seths, but they gotta be new.
    when combined with this:
    Twin tip (or near twin tip) is a must.
    makes fuck all sense.

you sound like a fucking idiot.

If you ski as hard as you say you do, get a wrenegade 112, DPS 105, or a 192 Cochise and run a 1/2 base/edge up the length of the ski.

Or get a soul 7 if you ski like I think you do.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    if you ski like I think you do.
    Thus the 186 peacemaker I suggested in the first post. This dude doesn't make freeride like he thinks he does.

The Burliest noodle ive skied is the 189 k2 shreditor 112. Straight up noodle, but somehow can hold it together in crud without blowing up. Idk how k2 does it, but some of the older seths are like that as well.. super soft and forgiving, but heavy enough to manage in weird conditions decently.

Or get an armada norwalk.

sounds like some of you guys have it out for me because I want a twin tip.. it's really just for showing off that I can ski backwards and the few times I take a run through the park landing switch.. it seems like the most insignificant feature to have on a ski, just to throw a pair of tips on the back of a directional ski. But apparently it's a huge fucking deal and i'm a JONG for even suggesting that be possible

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    you sound like a fucking idiot.

If you ski as hard as you say you do, get a wrenegade 112, DPS 105, or a 192 Cochise and run a 1/2 base/edge up the length of the ski.

Or get a soul 7 if you ski like I think you do.
    maybe you missed the part where I said I raced for quite a few years at Squaw.. against people who are now on the world cup team coached by some of the best coaches in NA. Sully, rest his soul, Greg, Kelly; great guys that taught me and others very well. Anyone from the area knows them as legends.

shins smashed against the front of the boot, hands driving downhill, level shoulders, weight on the downhill ski, blah blah blah. I could probably give you a lesson.

None of that matters though, all I need is a new pair of skis.. the wrenegade sounds like it'll fit the bill, I just don't know the difference between it and say the Belafontes which seem like a nice fit also, and not so much width underfoot. you also gotta remember, the only skis I've owned before these Seths were GS skis that I'd use anywhere and got down the hill in a hurry just fine. You guys seem like the type that have a different coat, undershirt, ski, and boot for every day you go out.. well I can't afford that luxury and wouldn't want to spend the time looking that shit up. I just get up and shred.

at least I squeezed a few suggestions out of you shitheads before this turned into a pissing contest, so thanks for that I guess

edit- just wanted to throw in one last thing.. i don't know if I should even listen to you guys considering the Seths are considered such a terrible floppy ski when I REGULARLY took them to higher speeds than you guys are probably comfortable going on planks. I hear people say "these skis have a speed limit" maybe YOU have the speed limit and can't control the ski?

It's like loose trucks on a skateboard. If you suck, you're gonna get speed wobbles and crash. If you're decent, you find the balance point and stay in a very controlled long turn and let it ride.
    Last edited by jahoney; 10-08-2015 at 04:55 PM.

I think Moment is out in Reno or nearby, possibly you can find someplace that'll demo you some Belafontes / other things in their lineup (PB&J? Tahoe?) if you're curious?

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    I think Moment is out in Reno or nearby, possibly you can find someplace that'll demo you some Belafontes / other things in their lineup (PB&J? Tahoe?) if you're curious?
    good idea.. didn't realize they were up there..

I really should demo. I'm just impatient and it's that time of year when most of us start to lose it a little.

just chatted with a guy on their website, gonna demo come first snow. i'll have to find a way to demo the wrens, also