Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Art of The Deal: Advice Needed

Apparently I do not know the art of the deal so I need advice. I don't want to go in to specific details, but basically I have a contract I need signed by some guy in LA, I'm in SLC. I've been emailing him weekly for months, and at a certain point someone is going to ask to see all the signed contracts, so I need this guy to finish his job. I'm fucked unless he comes through, and it has to be within a week or so.

1) He has looked at the contract, said terms looks good
    2) He said he is short-staffed and will have everything done by next week...which was two weeks ago.

So any advice to get him to finish the deal? I have never met him, so I can't pull his heartstrings with my smooth talking. The money I'm offering in the contract is so low, it is not priority for him, and offering double would still make it small potatoes for him. There is no boss above him that I know of, so I can't go above him.

Flowers would be nice, but not the vibe I'm trying to give him. How do I shmooze a guy who won't answer his phone or emails, and I know nothing about?

Better call Saul.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

$5.00 Starbucks gift card.

Either bribe him in some way (offer to throw extra business his way, buy him a spiff like tickets to a game or event) or give him something to lose (hold back repeat business or make him feel socially awkward). Operate within whatever code of ethics works for you and your business and use "soft power" like saying you'll be in his area and can pick up the contract on whatever date. The key is to make it personally valuable to the individual, not to his company, and make it specific. If he likes hoops, say you've got Lakers tickets with his name on it - that kind of thing. Set it up as a one time thing, otherwise you'll have to jump through hoops for this guy every time and that will eat your margin. Figure out a way to make it personal over the log term and you'll be at the top of his list because you're his buddy not some vendor.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

If this contract benefits your entity but not his, he has no reason to sign it. If this contract is mutually beneficial he should have motivation to ink it and get it back to you.

You need leverage here. .I would suggest telling him that unless the contract is executed you will be unable to proceed with the portion that is beneficial to him.

Create a sense of urgency and use a carrot, a stick or something more creative.

Most people respond to one of the following
    -fear
    -guilt
    -peer pressure
    -pitty
    -love
    -greed
    -lust

For $1000 you could get
    -4 bikers to show up with the paperwork and beat on him
    -His mother to guilt him into it
    -1 of his friends to tell him to do it
    -your mother to tell him you're going to starve
    -his mother again?
    -a pile of lotto tickets
    -your mom again?

Ask for the deal

Have you done that? Sounds like you missed that opportunity with today's call. Wait a week, call back and ask for the business. Use the word business
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

I tried guilt. A pair of Lakers tickets may be more than the whole contract (hence the no leverage on my part), but I may still do it. No idea if he likes the Lakers. Might stalk him on Linkdin or facebook and see what's up.

Other than mazaradti and my post the other suggestions are laughable.
    Zone Controller

Lakers tickets will be huge! But makes u look weak. Catch 22
    Zone Controller

He's a "Vinyl Record Archivist & Dealer"

Anyone know the coolest record store in LA?

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    How do I shmooze a guy who won't answer his phone or emails, and I know nothing about?
    Without knowing his pain points and if you even can provide the remedy, it’s not surprising that he’s not answering the phone or emails. Without building rapport and presenting value, the options are cheesy closes, discounts or giveaways that cost you additional time and money.

I think you need to take a step back and requalify the guy to see if the deal is even mutually beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Lakers tickets will be huge! But makes u look weak. Catch 22
    I am weak because I have no more money to offer him. he is a POWER PLAYER.

Is it worth a flight from SLC to LA? Future business at stake that will be worth the effort?

Call the dude and say it's not going to work unless he signs by x time at x date and ask if he would mind if you call him the morning of x. Leave a message if you don't get him. His response will tell you how likely he is to get it done. If it's not worth even Laker tickets (I don't know how those cost), how much time have you put into it and how much is your time worth?

Hookers and blow.

Post #15? For a moment I thought I was on the wrong forum.

Gotta ask for the biz
    Zone Controller

Ask yourself, What would The Donald do?

Sounds like he just needs a secretary or asst to help him get the contract back to you?
    Or do you get the feeling he's stalling for some other reason?

I know faxing is soo old skool but if he has a fax and it's the first scenario, you could just get him on the phone and see if you can accomplish it right then while you are on the line
    And I mean you can definitely joke about it etc but would take 2 minutes

I've seen a lot of biz owners that neglect the little things like that bc they are overwhelmed and other things always seem more 'important'

Good luck!
    skid luxury

Have Luca Brasi put a gun to his head. Assure him either his signature, or his brains are going on the contract.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I tried guilt. A pair of Lakers tickets may be more than the whole contract (hence the no leverage on my part), but I may still do it. No idea if he likes the Lakers. Might stalk him on Linkdin or facebook and see what's up.
    Who gives a shit (on his end or yours) over a contract worth less than a hundred bucks? This whole situation sounds bizarre.

Offer him a pair of Sol Vista lift tickets. It-s all in the delivery... He's in LA... Shit probably sounds super-core.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Less than a hundred for Laker tickets? Ha. Like some cheap-ass tickets are going to persuade anyone.

I didn't make it clear that I am a paying customer of his. I really need what he is offering, he is the only one in the world that can provide what I want. I am not the one offering work to him. He has other customers that are more important, that's the problem for me. He did agree to terms, just need to finish things. I will ask if he has a secretary, maybe I can get her/him on my side. I really don't think he has one though.

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    Offer him a pair of Sol Vista lift tickets. It-s all in the delivery... He's in LA... Shit probably sounds super-core.
    Mammoth tickets? I think everyone claims to snowboard in LA. I'm not in the ski industry though.

Does this guy report to anyone? Go over his head. There are certain standards of professional conduct, and if this guy can't adhere to such standards, his superiors would want to know how he's representing the company. And I'm fairly certain that you'll see results. Of course, all bets are off if this guy's working for himself.

BTW, I'm currently living in Los Angeles, Mexico. Lemme know if you need a "business associate" to go and pick up the signed contract. I'll even wear a suit. Knowing that someone will stop by to collect the contract may prompt him to act. If this works I can then overnight it to you.

BTW X 2, with respect to record local stores: http://www.laweekly.com/music/the-10...-in-la-4167447 I've only been to Amoeba.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

^^^ Or it's not worth putting on the priority list of shit to get done that day and his boss would ask him why he's working on little, no incentive deals.

Tough situation. Too bad there's no competition for what this guy is doing.