Hot tub question

Have a hot tub. Used to work well. In December of last year the board died, hot tub guy said it was cheaper to replace the pack. So he put in a balboa pack, ran until spring when it was 110 with out the heater running.

Turns out he had the pumps running on high, switched to low setting and it was usable again. For a month.

Now the gcfi pops instantly. Replaced the element. No change. With all equipment unplugged it still pops. New gcfi, still pops.

Hot tub guy one couldn't figure out the pumps.
    Guy 2 no longer comes out even though he says he'll be by.

Pretty frustrated. Any thoughts?
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

so tub 100% unplugged, and breaker still pops? that seems like bad breaker (I"m a hot tub owner, NOT a sparky by trade)

both heater and pump "un-plugged" / disconnected and no other power draw on it?

I havent physically disconnected the heater element so maybe I go a bad one from the box. However the rest is true. New GCFI placed by my neighbor the electrician, pretty sure its not a breaker issue. If it pops w the element disconnected (tomorrow project) then its between the breaker and tub in the wall or something. Which will suck

If your neighbor is an electrician have him take a look for some dough. If you are tripping the gcfi instantly you have a direct short somewhere. Is this a 110 volt tub that you plug in to the cgfi outlet ? If it is just run an extension cord to a outlet that is fused/connected to a breaker. How much amperage is the gcfi rated for ? Even without the heater if you run the motor it pulls quite a bit of amperage to start.
    This will tell you if this is a wiring issue or hot tub issue.

its 240 v 50 amp gcfi direct wired. He is going to take a look on the clock. Its apparently 3 microamps to trip the gcfi so it can be a tiny imperfection or moisture....

If you have any wiring diagrams and have a bit of electrical knowledge you can just divide all the main components and unplug individually to help isolate the shorting area. I don't know much about hot tubs but they probably have different circuits for pump, heater and lights. Each should have a separate connector that enter the control board or just unplug the motor and heater separately and see if the breaker trips.

Remember your NEW heating element?, NEW = never ever worked

I'd consult this instructional video:

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Yeah, disconnected heater yesterday. Breaker tripped. Sequentially disconnected all pumps etc, still trips w nothing connected. Electrician coming Saturday.

Dammit

Maybe time fo nu tub?

Kind of sounds like failed insulation on the load side. How old is the cable that feeds pwr from GFI to the main board?
    watch out for snakes

Bad GFCI?

Gcfi replaced, I think it is in the wires. Strung in 1993, might be mice, might be old line. I'm thinking that as well.

The problem w replacing the tub (besides cost of course) is that they built the enclosure around it. Retaining wall on 2 sides, house on one side, deck on the fourth. With 2 roof support beams that the tub surround is actually notched into. Can't even have a commercial cover lift thing, no room to install.