Driving NY to UT, where to stop?

Making my twice-annual pilgrimage for the winter, and was wondering where I should stop to find some decent biking. I want to head south to the Asheville area and then take I40 across from there. Anything between Asheville and Santa Fe, that's not too far out of the track worth hitting? I was also thinking about heading North and taking I90 all the way out, but that seems like a gamble with the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    Making my twice-annual pilgrimage for the winter, and was wondering where I should stop to find some decent biking. I want to head south to the Asheville area and then take I40 across from there. Anything between Asheville and Santa Fe, that's not too far out of the track worth hitting? I was also thinking about heading North and taking I90 all the way out, but that seems like a gamble with the weather.
    Never been across I40 but i70 is close proximity to State College or Allegrippis, Brown County State Park (south of Indy) and the Switchback trail at Wilson State Park in KS. All of these are high quality networks and worth stopping for.

Muscle Shoals (Its got the Swampers), Memphis. Catch some blues.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Wow, thanks, I was dreading my dive across 70, but that I40 idea looks cool. Nashville, Memphis, and then maybe Taos on the other end.

if you like Tech. Moraine S.P. in northwestern Pa.

switchgrass in eastern kansas near I70 is a fairly large flowly trail system.

I40 in Arkansas; between Fort Smith and the Missouri border are some very good trails. Walmart brother(s) have been sponsoring the building of trails in that area (so I hear). I've ridden them, very good.

I90, good stuff in Rapid City (Spearfish), but that would be weather dependent.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Wow, thanks, I was dreading my dive across 70, but that I40 idea looks cool. Nashville, Memphis, and then maybe Taos on the other end.
    I've driven 90, 80, and 40 so far. 40 was by far the nicest drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    I40 in Arkansas; between Fort Smith and the Missouri border are some very good trails. Walmart brother(s) have been sponsoring the building of trails in that area (so I hear). I've ridden them, very good.

I've also heard nice things about the riding in northern Arkansas. If I understand correctly, some of that area involves a lot of clay soil, so do your homework and check the weather reports.

I've been through there once and it was pretty country, but I didn't have my bike. So I might be clueless.

Larry Flynt's Hustler Club, East STL

If you do 80....Just 15mins north of i-80 Iowa City has great biking. Sugar bottom was recommended by a local it's fun and flowy with Beautiful camping right there. Can be closed if wet. Also good park trail over by davenport. Forget the name.... in Wyoming check out the riding on happy jack road.

I'm actually planning a similar trip across 40, but bring my yamahs enduro for some braaping in Appalachia, blue Ridge, dragon etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post

I'm actually planning a similar trip across 40, ....
    I suggest both of you fast until you hit Amarillo and then take the 72 Ounce Steak Challenge

Make sure to abide by Rule 6, too.

Holy shit... just found this, the record holder in action (BEWARE, IT'S NOT PRETTY):

Last edited by BigDaddy; 10-04-2015 at 12:17 PM.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Wow! That chick can put it down! I Don't know if it's more titillating or disguising
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Some good info here:
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ween-CO-and-VT

Not the same route, but you might find something of interest. Have a great trip!

The Outback is only a couple of miles off I-80, just after you pay the final toll in Indiana, just before Chicago.

http://outbacktrail.org/

everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post

About to drive across country for my fourth (?) time this year in the next few days. In May I drove from Missouri to Arizona going through NW Arkansas. Did not have a bike with me but would absolutely love to get back to that area.

My buddy live in Carson City TN and tells me there is some good riding there. Also I think Pisgah is in that neighborhood and they have bike trails there that are rumored to be fun.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    I've driven 90, 80, and 40 so far. 40 was by far the nicest drive.
    I've done it twice since this thread started, and happy I found it. Memphis on one trip, Nashville on the other, both towns definitely worth a few days. I'm more of a Memphis fan, because I'm more soul than country. They say Knoxville is fun for a night, too. Oklahoma City for just one thing, the Memorial and museum for the bombing, highly recommended. Approaching Taos from Oklahoma City is a drive that goes from ugly to pretty in a long day.

If it ever snows this year out west, I plan on driving back from Taos and making a right turn at Memphis and spending four or five days driving through the Delta to New Orleans. Never been. Blues and barbeque.

I want to do some riding in southern OH and the Council Bluffs IA areas, the NE panhandle also holds a fair bit of interest. If I remember right there's also some good stuff around Rock Springs WY and when I went through Laramie about 10 years ago I saw a bunch of cars with nice bikes on them just south of town so I was assuming a good riding zone is near there. This kind of leaves you with a meandering I80 based trip.

On my most recent drive home I took the direct route across 80. I stopped and rode the Sugar Bottom trails just north of Iowa City. Pretty long set of trails with a good amount of climbing and descending. I'd do it again.