Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Killington is owned by morons

There, I said it. I gave them a break for that whole "wait, I thought you were supposed to write that check" thing, losing Park City in the process. Hey, we all screw up now and then. But, now this. And in November. I won't even ski there in November unless there's a nice surprise dump.

http://alpine.usskiteam.com/news/uss...cup-killington

I mean, there is a two time Olympic venue over in NY state that could easily handle this event. It's called Lake Placid/Whiteface. But, I guess that's also why I laugh at people when they want my charity dollars to go to US Skiing. What a bunch of clowns.

why is this a knock on killington because ORDA hasn't pursued a world cup event? do you even think ORDA would campaign in any way, shape, or form for a world cup event?

ORDA: Olympic Regional Development Agency. The whole purpose of ORDA is too maintain the existing facilities for present training and future Olympic events.

They should hold it at Magic. Might be the jump start the mtn needs.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    ORDA: Olympic Regional Development Agency. The whole purpose of ORDA is too maintain the existing facilities for present training and future Olympic events.
    and your point is?

who runs whiteface? I believe it is ORDA.

from the ORDA site:
    New York State, the Department of Economic Development and our local elected officials have developed an alliance, allowing ORDA and its surrounding communities, to remain at the forefront of winter and summer sports training, competition, recreation, and tourism by investing in the modernization of these facilities. In turn, this allows us to become a strong partner with local and regional businesses in supporting and building the tourism industry throughout the State.

A world cup race wouldn't benefit the placid region? oh really?

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    They should hold it at Magic. Might be the jump start the mtn needs.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    and your point is?
    I'll type slowly.

The whole reason for the agency's existence is to be in constant readiness for another Olympic event.

no it's not, it's to stimulate tourism and recreational opportunities in the north country

edited to add

ORDA is about jobs and economic opportunities in the north country. that's it. ask anybody that lives there.

Oh, I forgot, they run Bellaire now also
    Last edited by DBdude; 10-02-2015 at 09:12 AM.

Does buttahrawj know about this? If so maybe he can use his vast reach in the industry and great attitude to effect change.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

I think this would be pretty awesome for Killington and great for the sport to put the event so close to a mega population center. I'd be really excited if I lived in NE.

It will likely take resources away from other parts of the mtn the year of the race. That is a bummer. They might also be sweating pulling it off with a warm November.

Overall, though I think it is great. People can also chose to ski other places if it disrupts operations too much for their liking.

Have you ever skied Killington on Thanksgiving weekend? It's not pretty.

World Cup on the east coast?
    Yes please!
    crab in my shoe mouth

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i'm confused is benji boycotting
    or giving moron moneys to morons
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I'll be up at Stowe using my MC.

I'll type slowly.

The whole reason for the agency's existence is to be in constant readiness for another Olympic event.
    Heh, it's right around the corner. 3rd time will be the charm!

I don't see your point either.

Why in any way, shape, or form would it make more sense to hold the first EC WC event since 91 up in bumfuck Adirondackland? When was the last time there was even a WC event at Whiteface? Weren't the 91 events at Waterville or somewhere?

I guess you're saying that because Whiteface has existing facilities (from 1980!) the WC should go there (BTW, I've raced on that hill and it is a great venue as far as the trail goes, so from a purely skiing perspective it makes sense, but the WC has other ($$) concerns)--but that's not how the selection works. This is a single stop on the WC circuit, not the Olympic games. Killington can throw up some stands in a week and be basically ready to host this thing (yes, I understand the technical work on the hill that needs to be done--I'm guessing the hill has already been homologated). And Killington itself is actually better suited to hosting a major skiing event (especially in November) than Whiteface is (which is one of many reasons the Olympics will never return to Lake Placid).

Benny, have you ever been at a WC event or worked on something like that?

(Still possible Killington's owners are morons and everyone will take a bath on this, but I don't understand the Lake Placid part of this equation.)
    [quote][//quote]

Killington is owned by morons

Fuck Whiteface.
    Have it where people can drive to and it's gonna rock!
    This is will be a great way to kick off a season. The energy will be huge!
    Superstar or the recently renovated Highline?
    I hope this happens!
    Last edited by buttahflake; 10-02-2015 at 10:08 AM.
    crab in my shoe mouth

where would people stay?

The Olympics will never return to Whiteface because the NY state government, corrupt as it is, are pikers compared to the scum that run the IOC, and will never dip their toes into that cesspool until it's cleaned up, which looks very unlikely, because FIFA is taking up all of those legal resources right now.

I just think that POWDR is a bunch of idiots. I thought that when they shut down the annual party (using state patrol!) at the base of Bear at K the first year they owned the place. A thirty year tradition, and those idiot Mormons thought they could bring their stupid values to the northeast without any consequences. Lost a ton of customers and customer loyalty with that one, and have been trying to fix that for a few years now. Who the fuck was behind that? Did they do any market research at all? Hey, I don't tailgate and hang at the party, but hundreds and thousands do. Pretty fucking stupid. And now this race. Hey, they lost PC due to stupidity, but, somehow, they own the race? What kind of crony corruption is that? Pick the best venue, not the buddy to another buddy's ski hill in Vermont, because he's all sad that he lost his western hill.

The Olympics will never return to Whiteface because the NY state government, corrupt as it is, are pikers compared to the scum that run the IOC, and will never dip their toes into that cesspool until it's cleaned up, which looks very unlikely, because FIFA is taking up all of those legal resources right now.
    See, this is why I asked if you've ever been at a WC event or done related work. The Olympics will never be at LP again because from the perspective of the entire production it's ridiculous to think a little backwater in the middle of nowhere would suit a global, corporate enterprise. The closest the IOC has come to that since 1980 is Lillehammer--Sochi, Torino, SLC, Vancouver, Nagano (small but probably literally 10x bigger than LP), that's what we're now talking about. Even in 1980 LP was a shitshow.

Pick the best venue,
    That's what they did.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    See, this is why I asked if you've ever been at a WC event or done related work. The Olympics will never be at LP again because from the perspective of the entire production it's ridiculous to think a little backwater in the middle of nowhere would suit a global, corporate enterprise. The closest the IOC has come to that since 1980 is Lillehammer--Sochi, Torino, SLC, Vancouver, Nagano (small but probably literally 10x bigger than LP), that's what we're now talking about. Even in 1980 LP was a shitshow.

That's what they did.
    Yeah. Sochi. Nuf said.

Yeah. Sochi. Nuf said.
    Sochi is the perfect example that shows why Kmart>LP. And at least it snows (sometimes) in VT. And if you thought Sochi was bad buckle up for the next one (after S. Korea, I mean). Looks like it's going to be a total joke as far as skiing is concerned.
    [quote][//quote]

I just think that POWDR is a bunch of idiots. I thought that when they shut down the annual party (using state patrol!) at the base of Bear at K the first year they owned the place. A thirty year tradition, and those idiot Mormons thought they could bring their stupid values to the northeast without any consequences.
    I don't think the Cummings are Mormon, not that it matters anywhere but the minds of religious biggots.

LP has great facilities for a wc race and plenty of lodging

Certainly as much as Killington. Have anyone stayed in a Killington hotel/motel/condo lately? Garbage.

placid has great lodging. have you been there? seriously, do you know what you are talking about. Yes, there is absolutely no where to stay in Killington/Rutland.