Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is there a disorder for people who cannot triage things?

Asking for a friend, who I may or may not be married to...
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

Attention Deficit Disorder

x2
    Uno mas

In my mind I sometimes call my bf a "sweet idiot"
    it helps to keep pet peeves positive

but yea being able to assess and triage stuff is a good skill (not just for first aid)

This hits close.

Look!! A shiny object!!!

Fuck
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

As someone who is CLEARLY ADD...

I can triage like a motherfucker. In fact, if I couldn't prioritize shit I wouldn't be able to accomplish anything. I'm 37 so maybe I'm old enough to have developed a coping mechanism.

I'm a big list maker, and have found that I SQUIRREL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post

I can triage like a motherfucker. In fact, if I couldn't prioritize shit I wouldn't be able to accomplish anything. I'm 37 so maybe I'm old enough to have developed a coping mechanism.

New list, prioritized, every morning.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post

Pretty sure OLs wife is 19 so there's room to grow.

I have this problem when I have more than I feel like I can handle. The natural response is to want to do nothing and that makes shit worse.

My wife has some version of this where she chooses inopportune times to take on tasks- usually it's in the morning when we're trying to get on the road and she'll decide, like, that she needs to spend ten minutes folding clothes. As a result, I have developed the ability to drink coffee through gritted teeth. She's not ADD, OCD, or anything like that- at all- but has no sense of how long it takes to do stuff.*

*My rule: everything takes fucking forever, twice that if it's raining.

Is there a disorder for people who cannot triage things?

I think my wife's head injury has made this worse. Even if she "forgot" what I told her, I woulda thought she coulda figgered it out without asking me later. Look at it. Figure it out. It's not rocket surgery. If you slow down and don't freak out that it "doesn't fucking work!", you'll see that it actually does work. Just like I told you.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    My wife has some version of this where she chooses inopportune times to take on tasks- usually it's in the morning when we're trying to get on the road and she'll decide, like, that she needs to spend ten minutes folding clothes. As a result, I have developed the ability to drink coffee through gritted teeth. She's not ADD, OCD, or anything like that- at all- but has no sense of how long it takes to do stuff.
    That's my wife. She takes the worlds longest showers, yet inevitably decides to take one 10 minutes before we have to leave. She'll decide she needs to paint her toenails while I'm walking out the door. This is why we don't carpool anymore, and why I've taken to lying about the time we need to be somewhere.

Don't sweat it, though. When your kid(s) are old enough, she'll just blame them for making you late to stuff.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Time and Space. Such mysterious concepts.

So a little background: I absolutely adore my wife but this is a great example of how batshit crazy she can be:

Last night she is frantically packing/ getting ready to go away for the weekend (early flight). I (ever helpful husband) ask how I can help.

"I need a screwdriver"

"I'm, ok. For what?"

"I don't like the knobs on the vanity in my bathroom. I bought new ones yesterday and want to change them."

"Ummmm, have you figured out how you are getting the the airport?"

"No, why?"

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    My wife has some version of this where she chooses inopportune times to take on tasks- usually it's in the morning when we're trying to get on the road and she'll decide, like, that she needs to spend ten minutes folding clothes. As a result, I have developed the ability to drink coffee through gritted teeth. She's not ADD, OCD, or anything like that- at all- but has no sense of how long it takes to do stuff.*

*My rule: everything takes fucking forever, twice that if it's raining.
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    That's my wife. She takes the worlds longest showers, yet inevitably decides to take one 10 minutes before we have to leave. She'll decide she needs to paint her toenails while I'm walking out the door. This is why we don't carpool anymore, and why I've taken to lying about the time we need to be somewhere.

Don't sweat it, though. When your kid(s) are old enough, she'll just blame them for making you late to stuff.
    This is like a watershed moment for me. Here I thought I was all alone. I've been thinking about starting a support group for husbands like us. It meets next to my liquor cabinet. When? every fucking time my wife and I have somewhere to be.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

I routinely add a half hour to the announced departure time anymore for the reasons stated above. That works pretty good for us. The hard part for me is how to spend that time - it's hard to be constructive because she needs constant monitoring to only be distracted for a half hour.

Quote Originally Posted by OldLarry View Post
    So a little background: I absolutely adore my wife but this is a great example of how batshit crazy she can be:

Last night she is frantically packing/ getting ready to go away for the weekend (early flight). I (ever helpful husband) ask how I can help.

"I need a screwdriver"

"I'm, ok. For what?"

"I don't like the knobs on the vanity in my bathroom. I bought new ones yesterday and want to change them."

"Ummmm, have you figured out how you are getting the the airport?"

"No, why?"
    Meanwhile over on the Ski Divas forum:

"Is there a disorder for procrastination? I've been asking my husband Larry to replace the knobs on the vanity for a year now. So, I figure if I buy them, he'll see them and volunteer to put them on....but nooooo, they just sit there. Finally last night I'd had enough and tell him I'm going to put them on. It wasn't like I was about to leave on a trip or anything and he couldn't see I was busy packing. I figure for sure he'd volunteer. Noooo, the lazy shit just stands there in his Gucci loafers, and asks me how I'm getting to the airport!!! He obviously didn't recall that he offered last week to take me. So girls, is there a disorder for people who are both procrastinators and senile??
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

At least two sides to every story.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Meanwhile over on the Ski Divas forum:

"Is there a disorder for procrastination? I've been asking my husband Larry to replace the knobs on the vanity for a year now. So, I figure if I buy them, he'll see them and volunteer to put them on....but nooooo, they just sit there. Finally last night I'd had enough and tell him I'm going to put them on. It wasn't like I was about to leave on a trip or anything and he couldn't see I was busy packing. I figure for sure he'd volunteer. Noooo, the lazy shit just stands there in his Gucci loafers, and asks me how I'm getting to the airport!!! He obviously didn't recall that he offered last week to take me. So girls, is there a disorder for people who are both procrastinators and senile??
    Touché!

Your new excuse for pretty much everything ...

Executive Function Disorder
    http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/guide/executive-function
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

^^^that's me, and I'm not even an executive!

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Pretty sure OLs wife is 19 so there's room to grow.
    Happy Birthday

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    ^^^that's me, and I'm not even an executive!
    Well shit then just consider yourself promoted!
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!