Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    So Sears makes (or markets) a good product? What other names should I look at for good value?
    I just used it because there are many stores across the country between the Sears and Kmart stores. If you have a local lawn/garden shop that sells stuff, go there also to check out their offerings and also parts counters. Lowes and Home Depot also always have them (at least leading up to the season in our area, not always in stock after a big dump or predicted winter storm though). But neither of those 2 usually do anything in the way of replacement parts to keep them running or repairs.

Many of the brands and models look very similar. IE: Sears has their units made by the companies in the business, many of the companies are owned by the same parent company (MTD/Yard Machine, Troy-Bilt, etc.). Popular names include Ariens (what I have now), Toro, Troy Bilt, Poulan, Cub Cadet, Honda, Husqvrana, MTD (Yard Machines), etc. - most of the same names you see in lawn mowers. They typically have Briggs-Stratton motors, Husqvarna, etc. on them for the motors.

http://movingsnow.com/2013/snow-blower-engines/ interesting read on the engine side of things.

Uh, it's Baltimore. A two stage blower is like running your DPS Spoons at Ski Liberty.

Kid next door FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    Kid next door FTW.
    If you can find a semi-reliable one that wants to do it, can shovel before it gets all packed down and you do not have to have it done before going to work (of course as with any east coast big city a prediction of 1/4 inch is a major snow storm and they close schools, shut down everything, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    If you can find a semi-reliable one that wants to do it, can shovel before it gets all packed down and you do not have to have it done before going to work (of course as with any east coast big city a prediction of 1/4 inch is a major snow storm and they close schools, shut down everything, etc.)
    Again, it's Baltimore. I think even Benny's girl can handle driving over an inch of fresh 2 or 3 times a per winter.

The freak big snows they get once a decade means you aren't going anywhere even if your driveway is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    Again, it's Baltimore. I think even Benny's girl can handle driving over an inch of fresh 2 or 3 times a per winter.

The freak big snows they get once a decade means you aren't going anywhere even if your driveway is clear.
    But but but isn't this just about Benny wanting to buy a blower instead of what makes sense???

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    But but but isn't this just about Benny wanting to buy a blower instead of what makes sense???
    Sorry, of course. Best bet is to get a Honda HS1336iAS. Nice and reliable, easy to start.

First of all, there are no kids. She practically lives in the country. Which is real nice country, btw. That's why she's there. I like it a lot, too.
    And there are no Mexicans or Central Americans, who are better than kids, and almost as cheap. Somehow, the immigrant landscaping invasion hasn't hit Baltimore, like here in Ct. and Westchester. There should be, it's a prime market, because the local white guys could give a fuck. But, as said, it doesn't snow enough to make it a business.
    So let's drop the manual labor thing.

Also, her driveway is long and north facing with a tremendous amount of shade, or, in other words, no sun to melt the snow. It lives a long time, and turns into a massive ice block in front of the garage. It must be cleared early, or life can be miserable for maybe weeks.

Just fucking direct me to a nice, reliable, easy to use, and easy to handle blower, please.

The most awkward thing about all this is trying to give her this as a present. "Here, honey, I bought you a snow blower for [fill in occasion]." Yeah, that's going to get me hot sex.

Light, electric snow blowers

Ok
    In all seriousness is the driveway paved or not? And how far does she have to throw the snow?
    Ive got a fairly large 28" snapper but since I've had it for years, haven't looked at whats currently available and I don't know $h1t about baltimore snowfall I'm not going to recommend specific models
    But assuming a few inches is more common than a foot or more, driveway is paved, she does have to throw snow too far and as long as shes going to clear it before it refreezes, I'd probably go with a single stage gas blower - Toro used to make nice ones but not sure they're available new for your $500 budget
    If its gravel or dirt your going to need a two stage machine.
    Best thing you can do either way to make sure it starts is to make sure its got fresh gas.

In terms of brands simplicity, snapper, toro, deere, ariens all generally good. Everything else club cadet, troy built etc probably comes from same factory and probably is good enough.
    Last edited by dcpnz; 10-03-2015 at 06:34 PM.

Paved. Narrow drive, but it expands to a large, oh, 80' by 100' area in front of a two car garage. That's where it turns into a glacier. Tricky throwing distance there.

Buy a broom, sweep it as soon as it snows, so it won't ice up. Or buy her a Tesla, those things are great on ice I've heard. Never have to sweep again!

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Ok
    In all seriousness is the driveway paved or not? And how far does she have to throw the snow?
    Ive got a fairly large 28" snapper but since I've had it for years, haven't looked at whats currently available and I don't know $h1t about baltimore snowfall I'm not going to recommend specific models
    But assuming a few inches is more common than a foot or more, driveway is paved, she does have to throw snow too far and as long as shes going to clear it before it refreezes, I'd probably go with a single stage gas blower - Toro used to make nice ones but not sure they're available new for your $500 budget
    If its gravel or dirt your going to need a two stage machine.
    Best thing you can do either way to make sure it starts is to make sure its got fresh gas.

In terms of brands simplicity, snapper, toro, deere, ariens all generally good. Everything else club cadet, troy built etc probably comes from same factory and probably is good enough.
    Already gave reasons against your 1 stage recommendation. Since it is Baltimore the snow is probably very moisture laden and wet, which 1 stage just does not handle well.
    http://workshop.lifehacker.com/helpf...ers-1671299723
    For less than $90 dollars I linked to a 2 stage model compared to 1 stage $500 model that is wider cutting path, better wheels/tires, better chute control via crank, self propelled 6 speed and reverse, and built to handle deeper wetter snow than any single stage blower out there. Plus the no self propelled drive.

Also Cub Cadet is owned by MTD/Troy-Bilt but may or may not be made from the same exact parts (I do not know if the specs are the same) because for a while they ran the division separately and sold only through the Cub dealer network. They now sell Cub in big box stores, hence blurring the segmentation.

I bought this one and added the remote chute...: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ariens-Pa...8032/204330498

Love it... Electric start, self-propelled, powerful and 3 yr warranty...

^^^RShea speaks wisely and apparently with some knowledge of your snow condition which refutes some of my prior thoughts

Maybe this woman in Baltimore needs a BF who sticks around and shovels her driveway, not some dude she met on match dot com who goes to Summit County and gets crippled trying to get off the lift.

Edit to add: I notice no one has said "we need nekkid pics of her to determine what snowblower would be best for her". I guess that's because nekkid pics of a 60-something granny from the suburbs of an eastern metropolis are just too horrifying to consider....
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

You can take my 15 year old Honda 828 track drive when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    I bought this one and added the remote chute...: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ariens-Pa...8032/204330498
    Love it... Electric start, self-propelled, powerful and 3 yr warranty...

Winner Benny. Tell her to keep the parking area clear and just drive over the rest. And when it clogs, tell her to clear it with the hand she doesn't write with. Helps send the message home.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Just got an Ego. Stoked so far and no gas smell. Longevity will be the factor. In case anyone is looking now. Light and powerful
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

My fleet.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I use a 1994 Honda fourtrax 300 with a manual function to plow. It's worth about $500 now but works awesome. Get her something similar. You can put a plow on some of the larger riding mowers/tractors to do double duty in the summer if she has a large lawn

Talking

This topic is a good topic, a very interesting page.

On the Wrong Coast...below upper VT, NH or Maine you don't run into much champagne or blower pow... In dealing with some moisture content...one needs a little more purchase weight to get under, break through with hp to throw.... If her machine won't get the mixture and throw it long enough you might be forced to forget any leisure daytime plans...
    The larger machines have several speeds of reverse = no pushing required. Just sayin'...

Good choices previous though....& Harry....
    Last edited by steved; 07-11-2017 at 09:28 AM.