Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    You didn't win anything other than the asshole of the week award. To come on an internet forum and trash a man whose family is still grieving and has many friends who are also a part of this forum is disrespectful. Just because you don't understand doesn't make it wrong. In fact, a lot of us know each other outside of this forum and we'll be sure to exclude you from our group of friends for this type of behavior. Show a little class asshole.
    I know this wasn't addressed at me, and I don't think eric was pushing the envelope. it was a tragic accident. however when athletes consistently court death and die, it is appropriate to discuss what is going on.

and again, i totally get we all function at different risk reward levels. it shouldn't be any other way.

K2 has a death rate of 10% . Serious climbers still fork over a lot of cash to give it a go. How do you explain that one to friends and family? You know, to live life and all.

I don’t get it, and never will. Petty 13ers will have to do, and I’m OK with that.

Thanks to SFB for starting a new thread. He's right, the debate doesn't need to dilute the grieving and remembrances on his obit thread. In regards to the discussion here....am I the only one that feels that the Video Tribute to Roner on the TGR home page is a bit unseemly? Did they have to choose the most extreme, death-defying footage they could find? I rather see the man, full of life, interacting with his family and friends than to be reminded of the high consequence choices that have turned out so badly for so many.

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    you lame ass existers
    Ahh the true feelings of the core industry insiders comes out in the end. Anyone who's not on the inside, making the same choices and believing in the risk your life for thrills and/or fame lifestyle, is living a life merely of going through the motions: wake up, take a shit, eat food, work, eat, sleep, repeat until death.

Quote Originally Posted by Coño Frío View Post
    Thanks to SFB for starting a new thread. He's right, the debate doesn't need to dilute the grieving and remembrances on his obit thread. In regards to the discussion here....am I the only one that feels that the Video Tribute to Roner on the TGR home page is a bit unseemly? Did they have to choose the most extreme, death-defying footage they could find? I rather see the man, full of life, interacting with his family and friends than to be reminded of the high consequence choices that have turned out so badly for so many.
    They are celebrating the reason you've ever heard of him. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

I admire the lifestyle choice and am entertained by their exploits but the repeated death challenge makes it difficult for me to shed a tear over the inevitable fate.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    They are celebrating the reason you've ever heard of him. Nothing wrong with that IMO.
    That's sorta my point....at this time, so close to his death, why not celebrate him as the husband, father, and friend....and not remind us that the only "reason you've heard of him" is that he took extremely consequential risks, with very little margin of error, ON CAMERA. What message does that send to the indestructible groms out there? "Hey kid, ya want to go viral? Straight-line that chute, huck the cliff, and pull yer ripcord. I can make you famous!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Ahh the true feelings of the core industry insiders comes out in the end. Anyone who's not on the inside, making the same choices and believing in the risk your life for thrills and/or fame lifestyle, is living a life merely of going through the motions: wake up, take a shit, eat food, work, eat, sleep, repeat until death.
    For me the risky stuff is about a mix of confidence, desire to achieve, inspiration from always looking up at jagged peaks, and the gratification that comes from accomplishing a long held goal. I do it on a lower scale than most, but am very aware that death could result. The focus required to do some of this stuff should be respected, regardless of the personal liability. The vast majority of people have a fraction of the heart and conviction of these athletes. I lived 26 years of quiet desperation, but no more. Gonna climb and tour and git er done to my heart's delight. It's my joi de vivre on a personal level, right alongside relationship growth and always trying to improve my overall condition. If my life is cut short, my parents and gf will be crushed. But they'll be taken care of financially and will know very well how closely tied the mountains are to my perception of accomplishment.

Dean Potter's death didn't surprise me but it still almost made me cry. Dude won at life. A free bird with a mission to destroy conceptions of what is possible for human beings. And he did just that. I feel sorry for those who can't see the reward side of the spectrum. Life is temporary, failing to pursue dreams is its own kind of death penalty.

There's a big cultural gulf between, say, a typical ATL commuter and a guy like WRA. The ATL commuter judging WRA's risk tolerance is a fucking joke, considering WRA has been winning the game of life for decades. A true asset to the SLC community, and a solid photog.

It's a good ole fashioned Bill O'Reilly culture war!

/ramble

Can we all at least agree that Benny Profane is living life to its fullest?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Wrong
    I don't work in the industry

Just enjoy the hell out of the mountains and outdoors
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    The risk vs reward on chairlift loading ramps just isn't worth it.

The risk vs reward on chairlift loading ramps just isn't worth it.
    I'll probably force myself to watch Benny's death reel when it crops up in the sidestash though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    Haha, I respect Benny sticking with his passion for the mountains. Hes fun to jab but has more courage to execute than most in the megalopolis.

To come on an internet forum and trash a man whose family is still grieving and has many friends who are also a part of this forum is disrespectful.
    For Christs sake he died 6 years ago. That's not even too soon for a joke let alone too soon to be talking about his irresponsibility. Perhaps we should not say that Heath Ledger and Brittney Murphy were irresponsible as well because it might hurt someone's feelings? Perhaps no one should be held accountable for their choices for fear of hurting feelings??

^ pretty sure he was talking about Roner there Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    ^ pretty sure he was talking about Roner there Einstein
    And my post was about McConkey.... Meitner.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyLilKitten View Post
    For Christs sake he died 6 years ago. That's not even too soon for a joke let alone too soon to be talking about his irresponsibility. Perhaps we should not say that Heath Ledger and Brittney Murphy were irresponsible as well because it might hurt someone's feelings? Perhaps no one should be held accountable for their choices for fear of hurting feelings??
    Disagree, we owe it to you to hold you responsible for being a dbag.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    Disagree, we owe it to you to hold you responsible for being a dbag.
    What are you going to do? Take away my internet?

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Question: it seems like none of these athletes ever have life insurance even when they have families... is it simply that the insurance company wouldn't cover them based on their activities or that they just don't bother?
    Don't know about the athletes, but I asked a lot of these questions when I got life insurance back in 2012 (when my twins were born). The life insurance companies have some really dumb standards - they wanted to know the difficulties of rock climbs I do, the height, and the frequency of climbing. If injured while rock, ice, or mountain climbing, my disability insurance policy only begins to pay after the 180th day of injury. They did ask about jumping out of airplanes, but I've never done it, so didn't pay attention to how that would affect the policy. They did not ask about many other types of potentially hazardous activity; I guess they have their checklist and just make decisions off of that. I'll have to go back and check whether the actual life insurance policy was also affected by the climbing rider, but I don't think it was. There was no mention of heli-skiing for my policy (unlike Undertow's insurer), so it probably just depends on the company. Northwestern Mutual for those in the market.

I sure hope that Rockstar and other companies with heavy sponsorship rosters for action sports offer some form of life insurance. Almost all employers do.

In any event, I strongly recommend getting some life insurance for your family, especially if you engage in higher-risk activities. PITA and it can seem like you are pissing money away, but it's
    worth it if you meet an untimely end.
    sproing!

^^^^^^

Agreed about the life insurance...its not that expensive (especially if healthy) and most people don't bother because they are too lazy to get blood taken and get a physical.

These action sports athletes got to live in the spotlight, get paid for doing things they probably enjoy, get to do them often, and the asking price was missing out on the downhill end of your life. I'm stuck working a shitty job to pay for the things i like doing and i get to do them much less often. If I had the skill I might consider it myself, but never with a family at home.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    That is really asking a lot IMO.
    True, too much time already spent on it. Need to train for l'Invitational.

What are you going to do? Take away my internet?
    No, I'm going to lift the JC Penny catalog out of your mailbox.
    We all have the responsibility to chose our level of risk (or boredom), welcome to the world. The media drumming feels like the six o'clock news. Can't we expect a higher standard?

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    Anyone know how much Rockstar, Inc. is sending to Roner's wife & kids? If they don't give any sort of coverage or AD&D, I may puke in the mouth a bit.

Family underwrites risk b/c they deal with consequences of serious injury/death. Precisely how are they being compensated for this selfless contribution to Rockstar's bottom line?
    I'd be interested what their contracts are like. I imagine they independent are not actually employed by Rockstar, Inc. so have no financial responsibility in this event.
    Quote Originally Posted by b dubya View Post
    Tricks are for hookers

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    No. Fuck that. I win.
    congrats jong ya gots the rog of the day cuntinator cup comp medal
    pm dex for an inclusive sickgnar blue square grass skiing trip
    and pm icelantic skier for complimentary skin tailclips
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno