Cheap mtb suggestions?

I just gave my motobecane away to a friend and am looking for a replacement.
    This is where I show my age but holy crap back in my day the top bikes were $2k!
    Was hoping for a decent bike I can take on the single track and ride around w my son. Rode my last one 5x/year on dirt, 20x/year around town through the park etc. something used is ideal.
    Don't want a Costco Huffy, but also didn't want to spend more than $500-600.

Possible? No Possible? Looked a bit on CL but tons of crap.

Thanks for your advice!

Cheap mtb suggestions?

Try this site: http://bikesdirect.com

I bought a single-speed for around town from Bikes Direct that I have been super happy with for $289. My model was a Windsor Clockwork. Tons of kooks on biking forums had weighed in to call it a solid option for the price and vastly better than anything a big box shit retailer peddles. Look for mtn bikes in your price range from bikes direct and punch the models into google. Those kooks on the biking forums will lead you to the best bang for your money.

I know LITTLE about mtn bikes, but plan to get one next year since I have moved to Denver. I also don't want to drop a ton of money since I'll be new to that sport.

In your price range full suspension will be total shit, weigh a ton and break easily. Get a hard tail.

Deals on Craigslist can be found, but you have to be knowledgeable about a good deal and wade through 97% shit.

Make sure to come back and post what get if you go the bikes direct route. My price range next year will be $600-750.

Also, people on here may think you are getting a total pile of shit for $500-$600 and nothing is worth riding for under several thousand. Take that with a grain of salt.

Join IMBA
    Use IMBA membership benefits to buy a Diamondback Hook, Line or Syncr.
    40% off and great bikes for what you are looking for.

In my little town, we've got a MTB club with a very small classifieds section on their webpage. Anything like that near you? It'd save dealing with the C-list crap. Also, you might let the LBS know you're looking. Do they have a bulletin board? And finally, it's the time of year that many shops in Moab and other tourist areas sell off some of the rental fleet at pretty good prices. Bikes are usually quite rough cosmetically, but adequately maintained. Anyway, there's a few more options for you. Good luck with your search.

Used bikes like the ones you remember are no more expensive than before, but they probably have more miles. That $2k top of the line beast from ten years ago is in your price range, but it will be well used with all that entails. Most current high dollar bikes are a lot better at a lot of things, but if you wouldn't notice those things but 5x a year then you won't miss them. If you want to get into riding more that's another thing; it would be worth your time to try some new bikes and get a feel for the differences. You can also find a more lightly used 26" with modern geometry for not a lot more money that might be nice gateway. But to do what you've already been doing, yeah, just look for a good deal on CL (or pinkbike if you have something specific in mind).

You should be able to find a pretty decent used hardtail for that budget. I scored a 3 year old Marin Pine Mountain 29'er for $550 that's been awesome for the uses you describe.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Look for a Kona Cindercone, Giant Talon, Specialized Rockhopper, or similar ~$1000 hardtail on Craigslist or Ebay. You should be able to find a used one for your price range.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

If you're not riding gnarly trails, save $$$ and buy a used hard tail. CL worked for me in that budget but I had to be a bit patient -- picked up a used, early 2000s Diamondback Racing Ti hardtail with XT/XTR in good repair for <$400.

From what it sounds like you don't need gobs of travel or stopping power. Don't be afraid of 26ers or even v-brakes if you're not doing long descents. Both are not in demand and could save you some $$$. (That said -- I'm still riding XTR V-brakes down CO mountains.)

Diamondback bikes are pretty cheap on Amazon.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Used hardtail 29er is the ticket for your purposes. You should be able to find one around $500 or so. Make sure to have it checked out at a shop before buying, if you can; rebuilding the front shocks, putting on a new cassette, etc. (which is typically required of a bike every few years) may run you a few hundred dollars, so it'd be best if you can find a bike that's been taken care of and doesn't need major maintenance right away. Or save up and spring for a new one around $1000 (Giant Talon or similar) and avoid that issue, and have a bike that'll last you a decade or longer.

Don't buy anything full suspension. Your uses don't require it, and for $500 you're very likely to get something that doesn't work very well and requires a lot of maintenance.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Used bikes like the ones you remember are no more expensive than before, but they probably have more miles. That $2k top of the line beast from ten years ago is in your price range, but it will be well used with all that entails. Most current high dollar bikes are a lot better at a lot of things, but if you wouldn't notice those things but 5x a year then you won't miss them. If you want to get into riding more that's another thing; it would be worth your time to try some new bikes and get a feel for the differences. You can also find a more lightly used 26" with modern geometry for not a lot more money that might be nice gateway. But to do what you've already been doing, yeah, just look for a good deal on CL (or pinkbike if you have something specific in mind).

YES. That's exactly what I want - the cross-country hardtail singletrack rad bike from 10 years ago...think it'll suit my needs just fine.

FYI the Motobecane I had was used, disc brakes, shimano components (i think LX but fairly new), scored it on CL for like $400 so that's where I'm coming from.

Another FYI: I'm aware that the sport has evolved; I did the Wasatch Crest Trail in June w my buddy's $9k 29" gnarly monster bike and it was amazing, holy mackerel so smooth and solid.
    That said, I have too many hobbies and kids and job and all that other crap so that's unfortunately not in the cards, BUT I still think having a solid bike for the occasional bay area / tahoe XC ride is worth the $500 I'm looking to spend.

Thanks ppl for the confirmation that this is possible, I'll keep looking!