Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    A former pro skier once said he knew it was time to quit when he didn't 'see' the lines anymore. It makes sense. Until that point he ripped the shit out of big dangerous lines that most would not feel safe attempting.
    Hugo Harrison? Just guessing, I know he scaled way back on the risk taking after having a kid several years ago...

[QUOTE=strawjack;4563128]Nobody on this board is as good as Roner, Shane, etc./QUOTE]

Pretty sure I'm the best damn skier on the mountain.

Lots of food for thought here. Also something to consider is that probably most on here, myself included are 30+ and starting to think much differently about how we do things. DH biking used to be just about speed when I was younger, now I relish the control (and am probably faster for it). Is this the same process that all these other guys are going through? Exerting more and more control on more knife edge moments? As previous endeavors become passé due to demands on the aging body or the run out of mental challenge, what's left to keep that feeling alive?
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I do feel somewhat hypocritical when I consider the risk in avalanches however and I'm not quite sure how I manage to rationalize it. Anyone? I guess maybe the risk of that is just low enough with proper practice and knowledge to fall into another category? Perhaps it feels that way to proximity skydivers too? I guess the common outcome of an error doesn't mean you will get caught, much less even set one off? But it often does leave me wondering if its just the same game of Russian roulette before you slip up in the big way and its over - just more bullet-less chambers.
    You just explained how you rationalize it for yourself. It isn't entirely rational, and I think most of us know that but don't like admitting it. The Russian roulette analogy is true, just like it's true for any other activity, be it extreme or mundane. You can take out a lot of bullets but never all of them, even if you're just crossing the street.

Generally, we seem to take risks because we think the reward will be worth it. Whether it is lies in the eye of the beholder. There is no point in judging other people for the level of risk they are willing to accept. All I can try to do is figure out what level of risk is acceptable to me.

I think the personal choices everyone makes are one thing, and the way the industry portrays risky activity is a different, maybe not entirely separate but somewhat independent thing. Both are worth thinking about IMO.

None of it has anything to do with how sad it is when someone dies.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    You just explained how you rationalize it for yourself. It isn't entirely rational, and I think most of us know that but don't like admitting it. The Russian roulette analogy is true, just like it's true for any other activity, be it extreme or mundane. You can take out a lot of bullets but never all of them, even if you're just crossing the street.

Generally, we seem to take risks because we think the reward will be worth it. Whether it is lies in the eye of the beholder. There is no point in judging other people for the level of risk they are willing to accept. All I can try to do is figure out what level of risk is acceptable to me.

I think the personal choices everyone makes are one thing, and the way the industry portrays risky activity is a different, maybe not entirely separate but somewhat independent thing. Both are worth thinking about IMO.

None of it has anything to do with how sad it is when someone dies.
    Perfectly said. My wife and I had a long discussion last night about risk vs rewards, growing old, kids, etc. I certainly have a different outlook on it now at 41 than I did even just a few years ago.

Heartbreaking. I'm gonna take a pass on the discussion of "risk" and "lifestyle" if you all don't mind.

Oh and if you've ever watched Roner ski and said "holy shit" with a huge smile on your face or laughed at his antics, take some time out and throw his family a few bucks, it is really the least you can do:

http://www.road2recovery.com/cause-v...r-fallen-hero/

was Roner just Sky diving or was he "Speed flying" or some variant of ?

http://www.speed-flying.com/what-is-speed-flying

remember if you die doing something you love yer still dead, I seen 1st hand what happens when somebody doesn't come home from work, its sad and financially tough for the people left behind
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer28 View Post
    Heartbreaking. I'm gonna take a pass on the discussion of "risk" and "lifestyle" if you all don't mind.

Oh and if you've ever watched Roner ski and said "holy shit" with a huge smile on your face or laughed at his antics, take some time out and throw his family a few bucks, it is really the least you can do:

http://www.road2recovery.com/cause-v...r-fallen-hero/
    Whoa. "Fallen Hero?" Not to be a dick and disrespect the guy but Hero? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinRox View Post
    He was a hero to a ton of kids who watched Nitro Circus. Like any other athlete kids look up to.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    He was a hero to a ton of kids who watched Nitro Circus. Like any other athlete kids look up to.
    I would say role model not Hero.

He ain't saving any lives or protecting people from harm.

Just demeans the word calling everyone a hero.

A hero is a soldier, a fireman, police. People that put themselves in harms way to save people like Roner.

RIP. Vibes to friends and family.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I would have to argue whether ANY athlete is a hero for doing something for love or money that only requires good genes/good reflexes, show me where is the "hero" part ?

Only athletes I would consider hero's that come to mind are Terry Fox or Rick Hansen

if you never heard of them google it

Mike Tyson?
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I would have to argue whether ANY athlete is a hero for doing something for love or money that only requires good genes/good reflexes, show me where is the "hero" part ?

Only athletes I would consider hero's that come to mind are Terry Fox or Rick Hansen

if you never heard of them google it
    Argue all you want, I don't care. Kids still think he's a hero, take it up with them if ya don't like it.

Guys, a little sensitivity, eh? Don't dick this thread up with an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Mike Tyson?
    Of course AND Mike Tyson!

Whoever set up the fundraiser thought he was a hero. Doesn't matter what the fuck any of us think of that choice of words.
    .Wanna set up a fund for Erik Roner - Fallen Role Model? Go right ahead.
    Wanna argue semantics? Fuck off

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    i hope Erik's children will remember him as a good man.
    I'm sure they will. Erik was a kid at heart.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Whoever set up the fundraiser thought he was a hero. Doesn't matter what the fuck any of us think of that choice of words.
    .Wanna set up a fund for Erik Roner - Fallen Role Model? Go right ahead.
    Wanna argue semantics? Fuck off
    Word. I agree. Not the time and place for semantics. (Took me a minute with the new username, BTW.)

Some would say the same about the risk discussion above too, but I think it's been refreshingly civil, sober, and respectful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

This is selfish, but I am really sad to see so many of my ski movie heroes die over the last decade. It really has me thinking differently about what ski stoke really means and what it should be. It does come down to how you are wired when it comes to being a part of the action.

I remember being at one point in my own life that I asked myself if I was willing to die for skiing. I said yes for a season (not that I was trying to die) then decided I had to dial things back. I could not take the risks.

I guess my point is that all of these stories are sad, but everyone in their family, as well as the victim, knew the risks and were willing to take them. I completely understand that a certain select group of people will always take these risks, however calculated they may be, and these people will be heroes to many.

Sad news, condolences to the people left behind.

Frozenwater, DDay and I shared a drunken cab ride with Erik and either wife or soon to be wife, he seemed a solid dude that the world needs more of rather than less.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Hero definition: "a person, typically a man, who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities."

Just because you wouldn't call him a hero doesn't mean he wasn't one.
    or don't

Very sad to hear this. When I lived in Tahoe we had mutual friends, and we got to hang out a bit. He was a super nice guy, and this is a tragic loss.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

I thought this was a good reaction piece: http://deathofthepressbox.com/2015/0...-on-his-death/

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    I think it's time to dial it back a little bit.
    Yea-Clearly that would make fuck all difference.

Nanny.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinRox View Post
    I would definitely call him a hero, for people living in big cities sitting in an office day in day out or to the thousands of kids that watched him do his thing to even ski town people from the average to the local "heros" I think that's exactly what he was.

On the industry pushing people too far subject I don't think it's fair to point fingers at the industry, I don't think it's that simple and there is no way to stop the spirit of pioneering and exploring no matter how dangerous it becomes. We are all wired differently and what is common place for one person is extreme for another.

For me personally I don't want to take huge risks any more. This 40 thing is a weird point of my life, I'm reevaluating my priorities and values. A few years ago I figured that skydiving would be something I would do after I'm done with school but now, I doubt I'll pursue it. I'm kind of looking forward to this second half and letting go of always trying to one up myself. That shit gets exhausting for me! That being said I am amazed at the people that are wired to the point that they can't stop, I admire it and envy it as well. I think the opening part of the Squallywood book that I think was written by Scott Gaffney sums up the difference between the people that take risks and those that say you shouldn't. Anyways, RIP Roner. I wish the family the best and hope they can heal and move forward
    Last edited by RaisingArizona; 09-30-2015 at 02:20 PM.