Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Backcountry Packs

I haven't purchased a new backpack in 10 years. What packs are you liking these days, specifically, non-airbag packs? What's the consensus on avalungs these days?
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

I like the Mammut Nirvana Pro, but most of the other manufacturers have improved their packs dramatically. The Gregory Targhee 32 looks very well thought out, Ortovox has several nice looking packs, Black Diamond finally figured out how to build a suspension that's not completely worthless, etc. That's kinda just off the top of my head.

Avalungs - in general probably less likely to save your life than an airbag and more likely than nothing, provided your decision making is the same in all cases.

For a non-airbag, non-avalung, Cotopaxi's Cayembe is pretty sweet for non-technical day trips. Nice look/feel, design quality, etc.

Go custom: McHale Bump for day trips, McHale Little Big Pack for 2-3 day trips. I have one of each and a bigger McHale SARC P&G for bigger trips.

I think it really depends on what you want in a pack. How much weight you want to carry determines whether you want frame or frameless. Your packing style determines whether you want pockets/bells & whistles or simple top-loader. Your torso size (long or short) determines how important it will be to go custom or not. How often you carry modern ice tools will determine the necessity of functional ice-tool holders. Etc, etc.

Personally, I think Alpine Threadworks makes great packs at an affordable price (particularly since the CAD tanked), but only if you're trying to go light and don't need a frame. Cilo Gear or McHale, depending on my budget, would be my top picks if I wanted something for carrying heavier loads.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

call me crazy but I really dog the MTNApproach pack minus the skis... Avanlungs are rad if you keep the nose piece in, however it seems we stopped using them a few years ago in AK, everyone switched to Airbags.

Personally I would rather get rad while avoiding said terrain needing avalungs and airbags, I here living to be 70 is cool

Check out cilogear.com for some bomber packs. Not ski specific, but extremely tough packs with cool adjustable features. I hauled a pretty full pack (45L) to the hut, strip it down for day tours, then reassemble it to haul all the shit out. Same goes for summer climbing trips. Pack all the gear into camp, strip it and climb then haul everything out. It has been my go to pack year round now.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Thanks guys. I personally am looking for a day trip backpack that carries shovel, probe, saw, skins, goggles, helmet, food, water bottles, extra layers, gloves, first aid kit, headlamp, multi-tool, compass....uh what else? Will not be doing any technical climbing. I really like the idea of a pocket that is specifically for skins and a better way to store a helmet instead of just attaching in on the outside. Also, a fleece-line goggle pocket seems like a nice touch.

Didn't see a lot of threads specific to ski packs, so that's why I asked what you're liking these days. Post what you like and hopefully your suggestion cannot only help me, but others as well.

I was using an old Bora 40 which carried well but was kind of heavy until the shoulder strap ripped. Arcterxy fixed it for free after 10+ years which is damn good service so I found a good deal on their KEA 37 which is much lighter but still carries skis well on a bootpack, has more pockets also the back pouch which I like for skins and of course the great warranty
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Alpine Threadworks. Love the customization ability and minimalism

I have a black diamond pack with the avalung... and I will say that damn thing doesn't make the shoulder strap on one side very comfortable. It's not that bad but buyer beware.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Not ski specific,
    Cilogear makes ski specific packs now with avy tool pockets and zip lids.

http://www.cilogear.com/skiclcl.html

I've been using the Osprey Kode 42 since last year and it's a solid pack. A-frame or Diagonal ski carry, pocket for probe/shovel, fairly durable, no airbag, no avalung (they do make ABS compatible versions I think). They make a smaller one that may fit your goals a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I have a black diamond pack with the avalung... and I will say that damn thing doesn't make the shoulder strap on one side very comfortable. It's not that bad but buyer beware.
    They fixed that this year supposedly. I'm kinda bummed that I can't get the Anarchist without Avalung though. I have found that I rarely take the mouthpiece out of the pocket and when I do, I start to think "Wait, WTF am I doing that I might get buried and need this thing"

A few things that are a must for me are back panel access, easy ski and board attachment, and a separate avy tool pocket. I have liked my Jones 32L and a BD Outlaw before that for the uses you are talking about. Similar packs with similar features.

ETA and my wife loves here Kode. It looks pretty nice and functional, just a lot of bells and whistles though.

Quote Originally Posted by media310 View Post
    Avanlungs are rad if you keep the nose piece in
    You're not supposed to stick it in your nose......
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Any specific reason why you're not looking for an airbag pack? BCA ones are pretty affordable, and have a good set of features.

I picked up a BD Anthem on spring clearance for use on trips where I can't / don't want to bother bringing the Float. It seems pretty well laid out, but I haven't skied it yet. The suspension / hip-belt seems well done. It looks like they replaced it with their new "Dawn Patrol" series, which I haven't seen in person.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Alpine Threadworks. Love the customization ability and minimalism

x3.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Any specific reason why you're not looking for an airbag pack? BCA ones are pretty affordable, and have a good set of features.

I picked up a BD Anthem on spring clearance for use on trips where I can't / don't want to bother bringing the Float. It seems pretty well laid out, but I haven't skied it yet. The suspension / hip-belt seems well done. It looks like they replaced it with their new "Dawn Patrol" series, which I haven't seen in person.
    Agreed. I really like my BCA Float 32 and there are screaming deals out there on them.
    sproing!

I have had nothing but good experiences with my First Ascent Alchemist 30 (though I think it is a 25 that expands to 35 now). I am a fan of the simple top loader with a few pockets up top for organization and this pack has been bombproof going on 3+ years of summer and winter use. Fits a ton of gear and still lashes down nice and tight if not full to the brim.

Primarily cost. Secondarily, I typically do not ski high risk lines. I don't want to haul the extra weight, if I'm choosing lines with less risk.

Willing to bet more people are actually dying using these things. Here in the Tetons you become invisible once you fork over the $$$ for one or maybe not?

Needless to say it didn't take long for me to fill up the 35L pack. And worst case most of the gear in here ain't for me..

Couple of pack reviews we did last winter are below:
    EVOC 28L - http://mtnweekly.com/reviews/hiking-and-camping/backpack-review/evoc-line-team-28l-backpack-review
    Dakine Heli Pro 20L - http://mtnweekly.com/reviews/hiking-...ackpack-review
    Jones 30L - http://mtnweekly.com/reviews/hiking-...ackpack-review

All the packs above will easily hold "shovel, probe, saw, skins, goggles, helmet, food, water bottles, extra layers, gloves, first aid kit, headlamp, multi-tool, compas"

Stick to 20L and above, the saying goes the bigger the pack the more stuff you will end up hauling. Hence why I like the 35L MTN Approach pack, you can find one for cheap as the ski system is sill in need of upgrades. Plus this might b one of the only packs with a dedicated sleeve for each skin, or mini skis

Quote Originally Posted by Below Zero View Post
    Primarily cost. Secondarily, I typically do not ski high risk lines. I don't want to haul the extra weight, if I'm choosing lines with less risk.
    Plus, many of these companies are listing the volume without the airbag installed, so a 30L becomes a 20L once your bag is installed. BS

BZ, I have a TNF Patrol 34 that covers your bases. I dig it. I hadn't bought anything from TNF in years, but it checked all the boxes--including a dedicated skin pocket on the bottom that I actually use. I'll be buying an airbag pack in the next year or two, but I'll still keep this for certain applications.

On Avalung, I've been happy using an Avalung II plus whatever pack. Downside: It's an extra thing to take off when changing layers/transitioning. Upside: I wear it inbounds on days where I'm worried a bit more about treewells/NARSIDS. I also feel like I'd be more likely to use it in that situation in the backcountry as well--I've never been in a slide, but I've been temporarily stuck in a treewell twice. Avalung II lets you buy the pack you want, which was important when I bought it because (IMO) BD's early Avalung packs weren't that great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

^^ Agree that my avalung is more for tree wells than actual avalanches. Even on mellow slopes it's still a concern when there's a deep snow-pack, especially in certain regions (such as Tahoe when it actually snows).

Quote Originally Posted by Below Zero View Post
    Thanks guys. I personally am looking for a day trip backpack that carries shovel, probe, saw, skins, goggles, helmet, food, water bottles, extra layers, gloves, first aid kit, headlamp, multi-tool, compass....uh what else? Will not be doing any technical climbing. I really like the idea of a pocket that is specifically for skins and a better way to store a helmet instead of just attaching in on the outside. Also, a fleece-line goggle pocket seems like a nice touch.

Didn't see a lot of threads specific to ski packs, so that's why I asked what you're liking these days. Post what you like and hopefully your suggestion cannot only help me, but others as well.
    If your going to be carrying a shovel and a probe why wouldn't you consider some type of ABS pack for the added safety potential? You can buy a used abs pack for close to the price of a new non abs type.