Thread: Dr. Dioscussion

Dr. Dioscussion

5 days ago (09/18/15) I had an arthroscopic procedure to clean any loose "junk" out of my knee and to verify an MRI result indicating that I had a torn ACL and damaged menisci and as I understand, to verify the neccessity of knee replacement. I am embarrassed of my ignorance and intend to fix it. I am to call and schedule a follow up within 10 days and am realizing that I am ill equipped to hold a conversation with Dr. "L". My knee feels better than it has in months, but that's not saying a lot. If anyone out there has been through this and knows what I need to address with my surgeon, I will be truly appreciative for any advice.

Read a few sites about knee replacement and ACL and meniscus injuries and use that to come up with your questions. Write them down. Be assertive in asking your questions and don't leave until they've been answered. If your doctor says this is what needs to be done, ask what the options and alternatives are and the consequences of each approach. OTOH if your doctor gives you all the options and leaves the choice up to you, insist on a recommendation, even if you don't don't wind up following it. Don't expect to make a decision at the first visit unless you are sure. Don't hesitate to make another followup appointment and/or ask for a second opinion. If you are leaning strongly one way or another regarding surgery--"Doc--I can't go on like this; I'd rather die, so you gotta operate" or Doc, I only want surgery if it's absolutely the only choice"--let him know. It will help the doc know how to approach the discussion.

And if you're 75 years old and wear underwear like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thong.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	169855

nothing your doc will do will make you happy. He can't make you young again.