Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mine is about 22 miles driving each way (about 18 on bike, but brutal climb home), takes about 25-30 minutes each way driving. But I really like where we live, so it's worth the drive - we chose to live close to the recreational stuff (can hike or mountain bike from home, ski area is close), and just deal with the longer commute. I prefer this much more than living close to work, which would mean living near downtown Reno.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

some very good points in there, but also some huge holes.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

22 miles, 20 mins door to door, all highway. House and work both less than 1/2 mile from exit.

It's great, except for the 8 mile stretch that's consistently voted the worst weather section of the highway (narrow, near the river, surrounded by mtns; in snow it sucks balls, but the new subie should negate that. The horrible drivers, notsomuch)

To OP - I just don't see that commute as sustainable. Routes 103 and 11 are beautiful in the summer but it would be exhausting on a dark, cold, snowy winter night. The 1:25 would likely be closer to 2 hrs in the fall (following peepers) and winter months.

I had a 1 hr reverse commute in the metro Boston area for 25 yrs probably averaged 3.5 to 4 days a week starting the day in my office. Didn't mind the mornings so much but leaving after a late day at the office could mean rolling into the driveway between 7 and 8.

As Peruvian noted above your commute involves some hard driving. As much as city traffic and crowded highways suck winding snow covered poorly lit country roads require extra attention.

Books on tape from the library and NPR were sanity aids. Get yourself a good set of snow tires if you don't already have them -- you know what the roads look like. Find services near the office (dentist, mechanic, gym). Cause they won't be open by the time you get home.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Ooh those are good ones especially the mechanic. Yeah it comes down to being set up and committed to 2 hours each way. On loose schedule days bring a bike or skis and get out of the car and play somewhere.

I've had just about every commute you can have... 10 mins by foot, an hour on foot, 90 mins by subway, 2.5 hours by car, 3 hours by bus/train... The only way I'll take on another long (2 hrs +) commute is on PT. My current commute is 20 mins... Down the hill and 10 miles on the highway in the opposite direction of everyone else, and more importantly, with the sun at my back. Commuted over Loveland Pass every day for about 5 years. Either that was my favorite commute, or walking through Central Park. Used to enter at 85th/CPW and exit at 59th/5th. Both were awesome... Quiet, no traffic, beautiful scenery...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

2.6 miles. 8 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    To OP - I just don't see that commute as sustainable. Routes 103 and 11 are beautiful in the summer but it would be exhausting on a dark, cold, snowy winter night. The 1:25 would likely be closer to 2 hrs in the fall (following peepers) and winter months.
    So he's got to figure out how to work from home or move closer to the job. He says he can't. So he's stuck and needs to keep looking for other jobs since the current one sucks and the new one just doesn't seem worth it without a shit-ton of a raise over current job.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Just moved from the burbs to downtown, so I traded a 45-60 minute commute by car or train to a 29 minute walk. Can do it on a bike in 8 minutes door to door. So much better. I literally have to find another hobby or something to take up my extra 2 hrs a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    But I can put the skin track in from my back yard. It's a trade off.
    This I am jealous of.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_ski View Post

It's great, except for the 8 mile stretch that's consistently voted the worst weather section of the highway (narrow, near the river, surrounded by mtns; in snow it sucks balls,
    bolton flats?

6 minutes walk to work. Surrounded by bars, restaurants and 2 distilleries.....but 1 hour 40 minutes to skiing. How do I persuade my wife to sleep in the back of the truck in the parking lot?

I'll tell you what dbdude, when we were kids we rented a place in Ascutney one winter. We just came out of Claremont, just past the cemetery as the road bends left towards the Sugar river and then bends right again (going to VT), just before the Tractor Supply Company, and it had been sleeting and had just turned to snow. We slid across the road and got head-on'd by a fully loaded lumber truck doing about 40 or more. The only thing that saved our asses was the tires had literally no adhesion so that truck hit us like a cue ball hitting another ball - we were going one way and then we were going the other way. We totally should have died that day but miraculously did not.

Not that this has any particular relevance to you but you'll be driving right past that spot twice a day.

So I guess be careful if you do it.

edit: maybe do something like this and stay there ~3-4 nights a week: http://nh.craigslist.org/roo/5218311892.html or this is cheaper: http://nh.craigslist.org/roo/5123846353.html
    Last edited by iceman; 09-19-2015 at 10:41 AM.

8 blocks to work, 12 miles to Loveland. Who wants to touch me?

As close as I am, there will still be days that I can't get to Loveland. See I-70 shit-show thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

5 mins to work, 5-10 to skiing.

^^^^Damn, that is nice. Only trade off I have is incredible weather and the beach is a few blocks away. Relatively flat, so as my lazy ass gets older, it is really easy to walk around the island for 45 minutes to an hour with the dogs each morning. Did I mention all the great views of the ocean and bay? But my drive to ski sucks huge hairy balls. I guess we all compromise somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

3.5 hour flight to Puerto Vallarta cures my need for beach time. But I wouldnt mind some longer summers someday.

3mi to work, 16mi to snowbird.

Was over an hour in DC for a bit, miserable. Last before I moved west was Falls Church City to Crystal City, very good at 15 ish minutes. Inside the Beltway it is helped by HOV restrictions that are reliably enforced.

11 miles each way, 6 of it on sparsely populated country roads, 5 miles on divided highway. 20 minutes door to desk. Best commute I've had since grad school.

The river is 11 minutes away with several rarely visited spots and good swimming holes.

Alpental's an hour, Crustal is less than 2, Ogden is 12 hours, Silverton is 20 hours. Mortgage is covered.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 09-19-2015 at 11:35 AM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

3o minutes walking and subway. Or a 4.5 mile run. Love the subway. With headphones and good book it's the most peaceful time if my day (I have an 11 month old).

jgb@etree Guest
    All depends on if the job is worth it. I've been commuting nearly 2hrs in each direction (mostly on the train) for 10-11 years and the job more than makes up for the extreme suck that is my commute.

Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    Just moved from the burbs to downtown, so I traded a 45-60 minute commute by car or train to a 29 minute walk. Can do it on a bike in 8 minutes door to door. So much better. I literally have to find another hobby or something to take up my extra 2 hrs a day.
    Awesome. Moving close to work and killing off a car commute makes so much sense in so many ways.

I just moved so mine is much further than it used to be. I used to have to get up, scratch my balls then walk across the hallway to my office. In my new house the bedroom is on the opposite side of the fucking house from my office! On top of that the office is on top of the garage and the garage isn't attached so I actually have to walk outside for 10 feet to get there and then go up a flight of stairs. This is going to be a tough adjustment, but I think I can handle it.

All kidding aside, I can't understand why anyone would do what you're thinking about. I did it for about a year and it sucked ass. SW suburbs of Chicago out to Aurora/Naperville area added 2 hours to my day. Got the added stress/hassle without the pay. You say you like to drive but this will make you hate it. If it's a temporary deal that's one thing but trust me...life is too fucking short to piss it away driving back and forth to work, If it's a great job, then move.
    Last edited by Garth Bimble; 09-19-2015 at 01:08 PM.
    The Sheriff is near!

3 hours per day, 4 days per week, 44 weeks per year = 528 hours in your car (or the equivalent of thirteen 40-hour work weeks). If the job is worth, the job is worth it. You'll get to know Steve Inskeep and Renee Montagne pretty well. Could be worse.

I live in a small town with easy commutes . . . 10-minute walk to drop my kids off at school and then a 5-minute walk to work. It also rains 90+ inches per year, so it takes my lollygagging little buggers longer to gear up than to actually make the walk.