Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Year round commuter rig

So winter is approaching in the northeast and my current commuter (aka my super old POS road bike) is starting to need some investment. I am thinking of upgrading/changing bike directions especially since I want to try and ride all through the winter.

Ride about 4.5 miles to work, pretty flat, and I really only carry my messenger bag and usually strap a bag to the back with clothes to change into at work. Might switch to a bigger backpack for winter if I have to keep things dry and such.

My initial idea was something along these lines

http://www.konaworld.com/unit.cfm

Reasoning being that I can goof around on it in the woods when I don't want to ride the full squish and throw some more roadie tires on when the weather is nice.

Call me crazy or suggestion something else. Also open to offers, need an XL frame

cheers

I'd get a cross bike...

Goes fast on the road
    Turns any flat/easy trail into a shitload of fun
    Can rock panniers usually if you want
    Drop bars when you want to get low and haul ass.

Single speeds are fun, but after a while, you'll be wanting some more gears (mainly to go faster).

Also, I have a little standalone drawer at work for keeping clothes in, so I don't have to ride with a pack to/from work. Makes the ride that much more enjoyable.

Second the cross bike, it's been my go too commuter and early season training bike forever. Lots of clearance for fenders, bags of necessary.

Once the weather breaks out some skinnier tires (I use a different wheels altogether) and your flying.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Third the crossbike. Only downside is the aggressive to semi aggressive position compared to a standard commuting bike or cruiser. This will be something to consider if your back is trashed, you have a keg rather than a six pack, or other reasons I cannot think of.

I have been riding a cyclocross bike to work daily for years and think it works best for this use. Back rack, panniers, no cables under the cross bar for easy shoulder carry onto and off transit or up and down stairs, drop bars for speed, and disc brakes if you need that.

If you are richer than god, build one up with a rollof internally geared hub, belt drive, and disc brakes to have an all weather set up everyone will be jealous of.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Quote Originally Posted by jcolingham View Post
    If you are richer than god, build one up with a rollof internally geared hub, belt drive, and disc brakes to have an all weather set up everyone will be jealous of.
    I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'm posting to say I would do this, and I love my belt on my SS 29". Zero maintenance in 1000? miles, no lube mess, quiet, no fucking derailleur etc. After bending my hanger yesterday on another bike, I think I may never get a derailleur again.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I used to commute fixed; I enjoyed it better than a multi-geared bike (altho not as my only bike). You have a flat short ride.

not so sure about the 29er, you'll see days where you want to go play in the woods but you'll have to swap out the slicks to do it. Or you'll get tired of riding knobbies on the daily commute.

If you go SS, you will need to change the gearing or it will take forever to get to work and you will be getting passed by old ladies pushing shopping carts. This will then make your bike only good for your commute and nothing else. It happened to me. My Surly SS was awesome for my daily 10 mile, flat commute.

Get a Surly Crosscheck and be done with it.

Just so you know, from my experience, my mtn bike rides are all up and down. From my house, I ride a half mile on some gravel hills, and then a short flat section to get to the start of my ride which is a long climb. That flat section is so annoying, I want to take my geared bike for maybe a half mile of a 15 mile ride. I have a friend who couldn't or wouldn't afford a Rolhoff, so he got the Shimano Nexus version, and he commutes up the hill to the med center in Portland and it works great. He even said that you can shift at the stop lights, so it made that easier than Rohloff. Cross bike for the win.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

The Rohloff will also shift when stopped/coasting, but yeah, the Shimano hubs are a good alternative if you can get by with less gears (either 8 or 11 vs 14).

Quote Originally Posted by jcolingham View Post
    Third the crossbike. Only downside is the aggressive to semi aggressive position compared to a standard commuting bike or cruiser. This will be something to consider if your back is trashed, you have a keg rather than a six pack, or other reasons I cannot think of.
    If this is an issue, just put mtb bars on the bike, swap out the brake levers and shifters.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    If this is an issue, just put mtb bars on the bike, swap out the brake levers and shifters.
    Or just change the stem...

Surly Cross check with flat bars. Its my go to ride for everything other than mtn biking. An incredibly versatile bike.

Surly ogre is my year round commuter in Vancouver. Lots of mix and match options.

Crosscheck looks like a great bike... now anyone have one they want to sell me sub $1000? XL so 56-58 I am guessing??

Quote Originally Posted by BC_ski_BC View Post
    Crosscheck looks like a great bike... now anyone have one they want to sell me sub $1000? XL so 56-58 I am guessing??
    My buddy has a Surly LHT in oakland at 58cm for a little over $1k
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Quote Originally Posted by BC_ski_BC View Post
    Im 6' and ride a 56. Its the right size for me, but I got it on ebay (750?) a few years ago and the previous owner had cut the steerer tube a little short for my liking I discovered. If you ride an XL I would think you would be better on a 58 or more. I think Old Spokes Home stocks Surlys. If not, feel free to come down to Stowe/Elmore and take mine for a spin. Ive got Ragley Carnegie Bars and Burce Gordon Rock n Road tires (700x34) on mine. Ive been really happy with it.

I would want something like a jake or a straggler. Straggler has tons of room for tires and fenders and is the disc version of the cross check. And comes in a rad glitter purple color.

I've got a Trek Crossrip and love it as a commuter bike. It's a bit slacker than a traditional cross bike and made specifically for commuting. I've got mine setup with fenders, panniers, locking skewers to discourage theft and SRAM Rival brakes/drivetrain. If you're looking to do double duty with CX though, go with the Crosscheck though.

If you already have a POS roadbike, stick with that. Flat bars and fenders so you stay dry and some burlier tires. Any road bike can take 28mm's, it might be a little slower but you can find some knobbier ones if you're really going to be out in the shit.

I'd also recommend nice lights for so you're seen.

Found these on eBay, kinda sweet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vittoria-Mas...item3d037f3f8b
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Just get some studded snow tires?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Thanks all for the insight. I have bounced back and forth between a new purchase and fixing up the old roadie and using the mtn bike on really gnarly days. But then I realized I should be honest with myself that on really gnarly days illl just ride the train or free shuttle!

Still going to want an all around bike for the whole season. My roadie needs new front and back brakes (actually never had a back brake) and most likely a whole new drivetrain. The tires are 2 seasons old and should probably replace the back wheel (front is 3 years old).

So I am thinking this is going to set me back a bit of coin and maybe a bikesdirect rig would be a better investment (remember my roadie is 30 years old)

Saw this rig and thought it looked like a fun commuter. I have no real hills to be concerned of and it seems like I can put bigger tires on if wanted or need be.

Any thoughts? Thanks again and my budget is now in the negatives so trying to take it easy on the wallet.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...FVYUHwod4vENWA

Good idea with the singlespeed, but I've got to suggest you don't go fixed. I speak from thousands of miles of experience, it's dumb unless you're constantly in moderate traffic. Coasting is rad.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Unless I am reading incorrectly it is NOT fixed? I dont want that fixie bullshit, id be the first to kill myself on one of those...

16T Freewheel (1/2*1/8) Does NOT come with fixed gear cog
    so, yes, it's SS

btw, dang, that's cheap!