Page 139 of 140 FirstFirst ... 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,475 of 3488
    First opening? Plenty of skiing will happen before that. By February Mainline at Squaw had no rocks left. Sure, there was too much rain at lower elevations but I seem to recall skiing a lot of powder.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    yes. last year was nothing special, unless you like rain. pulling the trigger too soon will doom us to another so-so season, at best. why do people not understand these things? I say wait until the first opening.
    This.

it's been ages since i've bought a season pass in tahoe. i used to get kirkwood passes pre-vail using college discounts or group discounts. do these kinds of deals still exist? or am i stuck with the stuff i see on snow.com.. if someone can clue me in on the present-day pro-tips for season pass shopping, i'd be very grateful.

Vail has killed any side deals afaik. I used to pile in multiple discounts to get my KW pass down to less than $250.

Now I get the KW only pass, as my wife is a HS teacher and is typically wanting to ski on holidays. I'm not sure if that one is on snow.com, but it cost the same as the Tahoe Local Pass. If you don't need Sat & holiday, Tahoe Value is the cheapest.

Other places might still have deals.

How is Mt rose resort on preseason hiking? I don't live near Sugar Bowl anymore. They were really cool about hiking for turns.

I've seen pictures posted here and on the UnRose blog of preseason turns in bounds at Rose, so I'd guess they're cool with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Huck Pitueee View Post
    How is Mt rose resort on preseason hiking? I don't live near Sugar Bowl anymore. They were really cool about hiking for turns.
    I live near Mt. Rose resort and for sure hiking for turns after the resort closes is no problem and in the past hiking for turns was no problem before it opens too. However, they have done a very good job of prepping the slopes to open with little coverage and they do open very early then no hiking for turns. So, if we get a big dump early on let say in mid to late Oct then have at it. Much later than that they will open and no hiking..........

A friend told me last week that Squaw had extended the discount pass period for a couple of weeks. Totally unofficial-TIFWIW

As some flurries may fly around the mountain tops of the Sierra in the next 24 hours...

Few days at the Remarks, New Zealand in August:

STOKE

^^ Looks like some really fun terrain.

NOAA is calling for up to 3" on the higher peaks along the crest. I'm just looking forward to some rain on the trails. And maybe some really cold temps at night to start killing off these GD wasps and yellowjackets.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    ^^ Looks like some really fun terrain.

NOAA is calling for up to 3" on the higher peaks along the crest. I'm just looking forward to some rain on the trails. And maybe some really cold temps at night to start killing off these GD wasps and yellowjackets.
    Yeah, little wasp bastards got me last week. Was just pumping gas; no food in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Few days at the Remarks, New Zealand in August:
    Groovy! Looks a bit dust-on-crust?
    Is there more coverage than last year? (if memory serves last year was a bit boney...this year too??)

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

NWS reporting snow on top of Kirkwood and Sierra at Tahoe
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Kirkwood today

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9_13_2016.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	194.2 KB 
ID:	187698

Name:  14368634_10154649821050649_7961799517469895097_n.jpg
Views: 10358
Size:  78.3 KB

S@T Westbowl
    Name:  Westbowl.jpg
Views: 10351
Size:  47.2 KB
    Last edited by TahoeBC; 09-13-2016 at 09:49 AM.

Even though it ain't much, I'm glad to see it for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    I believe we need a first dusting of snowfall for a new thread...no?
    http://snowbrains.com/noaa-a-couple-...ahoe-ca-today/
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

soooo where's the new one? :P

Or we can just wait until someone makes some actual turns...

Last one I posted was from April, was getting ready to go ski!

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Or we can just wait until someone makes some actual turns...
    Name:  2940116-cac.png
Views: 14625
Size:  148.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Groovy! Looks a bit dust-on-crust?
    Is there more coverage than last year? (if memory serves last year was a bit boney...this year too??)
    Pretty similar conditions to our trip last year...maybe a tad bit better snow in late August 2015. Coverage was perfect however, no complaints for a trip booked in late March for a mid-August ski session. Better yet, is that the boy can pretty much follow us anywhere now.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Name:  2940116-cac.png
Views: 14625
Size:  148.5 KB
    I chuckled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

666, rad vid. I feel bad for your kid though. I mean, who would wanna get stuck being carted to NZ every summer for skiing? The horror!

And...not that anyone skis at that dump formerly known as Squaw anymore, but they're claiming an opening as early Nov 11!! (Nov 11-18 to be precise). http://squawalpine.com/events-things...alpine-meadows Speaking of runaway hype trains...

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    I saw the Zander's mention and thought I'd throw a shout out to a new place in Reno I discovered recently. If you want an amazing hamburger (best burger I've had in Reno) with a seriously thought out craft beer selection, then go to Beefys on Virginia in Midtown. It's super small inside so not a great place for the family. Back to waiting for winter.
    I found some "american style" Kobe beef at Safeway. 112 grams of fat per serving, I mean Lb. 180% of rda fat. The time I broke the block up results were not good.

Still some Hatch chiles at the Truckee Safeway, as of Friday. On sale. 99 cents a pound as I recall.