Thread: EVEREST (movie)

EVEREST (movie)

Opens tonight in NYC. Bought tickets for the 3D IMAX. Looking forward to throwing popcorn at Boukreev in 9 hours, should be awesome.

(I actually don't think he's the villain Krakauer portrayed in the book, but every epic needs an Eastern Euro bad guy)
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

So fucking good.

Did u see Meru? If you did, which one was better in ur opinion?

Burn n Turn

Quote Originally Posted by Thesystemsplit View Post
    Did u see Meru? If you did, which one was better in ur opinion?

Burn n Turn
    They're totally different movies, both great in different ways. I really liked the screen treatment of Everest though. The 3D Imax was totally worth it, it had the exact right amount of holiday magic to it. When the storm blows through the south col you totally feel it in your seat. Watching the life spill out of the victims is excruciating. The acting is just pretty great. If you're a fan of the books (Into Thin Air, The Climb), or not, it's enjoyable. That was some praise I think is consistent with Meru, but it was validated on Everest because I was talking to non-climbers about it this morning, they liked it too (small sample size, but legit). There's some hokey stuff where some of the mountaineering looks pretty dumb but I got over that. The best part may have been that they didn't really cast too much blame. The tragedy comes off like the culmination of bad decisions and dumb luck, like it was. Not just that Anatoli should have had 0s, or that they shouldn't have cheaped out on gas (they didn't really explain much of that). I don't know how long it will stick around in theaters based on the mostly empty theater for the premiere, but it was definitely worth seeing.

Cool thx for the review... already seen Meru. So I think I'll take my son to see it this weekend.

Burn n Turn

Cool ML242, going to check it out. Thnx for the review!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Wow, it's getting panned everywhere.

Read the book in the day, saw the movie, liked it. thumbs up, but helps if you've read the book. Wish they had focused more on the sherpas in both.

Those dudes are the studs.
    "Can't you see..."

It's based on the events in Into Thin Air, right?
    Krakauer was actually there?
    I heard about how they filmed it in an NPR interview. Obviously, a lot of studio, but also a lot of real footage of the mountains that was filmed during the maker's expeditions in the Himalayas and the Alps. I think the guy who made it has summited Everest like 5 times. Looks like a cool movie. Too bad Missoula doesn't have a 3D Imax. Maybe I'll go see it when my dad's out here in a couple weeks.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Actually it is based on Beck Weathers book,hence quit different emphasis from Krakauer's
    picador