Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    ^^ I carry some. Fortunately I have yet to use it, but if I ever do, I'll sure be glad I've had it in there all this time.

I carry an extra heel tech fitting in my pack along with a heel gap spacer. I lost a heel fitting insert once and it made for a long, sketchy ski home. The heel gap spacer has come in handy on multiple occasions due to the fact I have multiple boots. Both items weigh next to nothing but both have been handy.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Has anyone mentioned toilet paper? Nothing worse than being out in the back country and not being able to clean your ass.
    Snow is the best asswipe. Seriously.

Do you fold it or crumple it? Regardless, please don't leave your shit in the backcountry. I don't want to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Good one. I carry that, a cpr mask, and vinyl gloves in my 1st aid kit. And I keep current on cpr.
    PSA for everyone, CPR is compression only these days. I think they officially switched in 2010.

+1 on gloves though.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Snow is the best asswipe. Seriously.
    only if it's sticky snow-
    light dry powder is no good

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGortex View Post
    PSA for everyone, CPR is compression only these days. I think they officially switched in 2010.

+1 on gloves though.
    I'm an EMT and get certified for BLS (Basic Life Support) CPR, which includes breaths with compression (2/30 for adults). The thinking behind compression-only is that compressions are more important for restoring circulation and perfusion so for 'amateurs' ( ) concentrating on compressions is priority. But if a person is competent with compressions (i.e. healthcare providers), breaths are included as well.

http://www.heart.org/idc/groups/hear...ucm_317350.pdf

I'm an EMT and get certified for BLS (Basic Life Support) CPR, which includes breaths with compression (2/30). The thinking behind compression-only is that compressions are more important for restoring circulation and perfusion so for 'amateurs' ( ) concentrating on compressions is priority. But if a person is competent with compressions, breaths are valuable as well.
    Paramedic with BLS, ACLS, PALS, etc. I disagree that the layperson should carry a CPR mask or attempt breaths. Don't waste time or interrupt compressions. The data backs that belief, it's why they changed procedures. Breathing has been pushed significantly down the hierarchy even for healthcare providers.

So for the average non-medical professional reading this thread? Don't carry a mask. Do go take a CPR class. Everyone in your group should. If none of you bother, only do compressions; it's proven to work better.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGortex View Post

+1 on gloves though.
    My biannual CPR-AED trainings continue to include breaths.

To anyone on the fence about taking the class... there is a fair amount of technique involved with good CPR, that alone is worth taking it. I've seen a ton of reasonably fit people burn out trying to do extended CPR. Between the exertion and stress, you'll be sweating your ass off in 2-3 minutes, if not before. Not to mention you need to bang on someone pretty hard and relentlessly to be effective. It's not the tickle you see on TV. Form helps a lot. Take the class, it's worth it.

Good points, TexasGoreTex, but I'm still carrying my blob.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    My biannual CPR-AED trainings continue to include breaths.
    With no training, compression only has the best outcomes so that's what we should impress on people. If they take the initiative, they will learn how to do the other stuff (like you did).

Good points, TexasGoreTex, but I'm still carrying my blob.
    You should, you know how to use it. The PSA was for other readers. Those with training will know it's not aimed at them.

Hopefully I didn't cunt up the thread too much. If it helps someone it'll be worth it.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    quality maggot friends to share turns and apres shenanigans with
    is always a good thing to have
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Don't shit on the skintrack
    More importantly, Don't skin on the shit track.

And a lighter, gotta have a nice Bic on you.

I haven't followed this thread but has anyone mentioned the $1,400 avy backpack??
    http://tinyurl.com/pkbfhe3

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe Bromide View Post
    I haven't followed this thread but has anyone mentioned the $1,400 avy backpack??
    http://tinyurl.com/pkbfhe3
    I'm old school so I'm going to stick with the old....let's try to not get caught in an avalanche mentality. And I'm poor.

Snow tires all around (which I will be posting when I am allowed). Oh, and an empty Gatorade bottle, for when I get stopped behind someone who believes all-seasons will be enough.