Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    I believe Sapphire Reserve & Preferred both give you 50K points after the $4K in 3 months spending. The annual charge is $425 difference (assuming two authorized users), so unless you're a high flying dentist, consider if getting 3x vs 2x is really worth the extra cash.

We put all personal expenses on Sapphire, my work expenses all go on Southwest card. Flyer points left and right

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    I believe Sapphire Reserve & Preferred both give you 50K points after the $4K in 3 months spending. The annual charge is $425 difference (assuming two authorized users), so unless you're a high flying dentist, consider if getting 3x vs 2x is really worth the extra cash.

We put all personal expenses on Sapphire, my work expenses all go on Southwest card. Flyer points left and right
    Reserve was 100K worth 150K if spent on travel booked through their site. All travel booked on their site gets 1.5Xmiles. +$300 travel credit. $450 per year

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Reserve was 100K worth 150K if spent on travel booked through their site. All travel booked on their site gets 1.5Xmiles. +$300 travel credit. $450 per year
    Sweet - I didn't see on their site that it was 150K bonus on travel purchases and missed the $300, huge difference right there that makes it worthwhile for most.

Was close to going for the Southwest deal because it seemed like a "no brainer".
    But running the numbers, it's just not that sweet a deal unless I travel a lot, and exclusively on Southwest. I won't get any cash back for the money spent on Southwest cards. So, every dollar I spend to "activate" the deal is a 1.5% loss for me.

Annual fees for 2 cards for 2 years = $396
    Costs from "activating" the points = $60 ($2000 on each card)
    I'd need to spend an extra $6000 to get over 110K points.
    Cost from obtaining the additional 6000 points = $90
    So, my total expenses for getting the companion pass for 2 years = $546

If I look back the last few years, my wife and I averaged 1-2 flights a year on Southwest together. And we spent $350-$450 per ticket. So, if we fly 3 times in the next 2 years, the deal might save us $650 +/-. Only fly 2 times and the deal saves us $250 +/-. Honestly, just not worth it. I can get the Costco card instead and make $280 a year just on gas, with no money committed on my side.
    However many are in a shit ton.

In the end, the Costco card always wins out. Even more so if you spend all your $$ at Costco.

The Chase business preferred ink card will be offering 100,000 bonus points starting next week. Not bad, though I think you need to go into the branch to get it. If you don't have a business, just tell them you are a sole prop and they'll do it.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Was close to going for the Southwest deal because it seemed like a "no brainer".
    But running the numbers, it's just not that sweet a deal unless I travel a lot, and exclusively on Southwest. I won't get any cash back for the money spent on Southwest cards. So, every dollar I spend to "activate" the deal is a 1.5% loss for me.

Annual fees for 2 cards for 2 years = $396
    Costs from "activating" the points = $60 ($2000 on each card)
    I'd need to spend an extra $6000 to get over 110K points.
    Cost from obtaining the additional 6000 points = $90
    So, my total expenses for getting the companion pass for 2 years = $546
    You don't need to keep the credit cards open in order to retain the SWA points or the SWA companion pass. You will have to pay the first year's credit card fees, but nothing afterwards. Total cost: $69 + $99 = $168.

Your costs of generating the minimum spend on the two cards are all from manufactured spending, I assume, per your reference to 1.5% cost of generating the points. Obviously, if generated via normal spending, no cost. Don't you have real spending on credit cards?

If you don't fly much, or don't fly SWA much, then don't bother. Otherwise, IMHO, this is by far the best travel deal available. Cost is $168 for 110,000 SWA points, plus -- if you time it well -- nearly 2 full years of companion travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

His cost to activate the cards is not manufactured spending, it's the rewards (cash back) he loses by not using his regular 1.5% card for that spending.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Y Don't you have real spending on credit cards? .
    I don't shop at costco either
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

jm2e, the 110000 SW points gets you the Companion Pass. But the 110000 points aren't deducted from your account then, you would still have those points to use on flights. Now that you know that, re-do your math cuz boy is it wrong!

Back to the OP original question.. maybe not the best card, but one everyone should have - Chase IHG (intercontinental hotel group). For $49 annual fee you get 1 free night certificate every year and Platinum status (which is only useful on paid stays unfortunately). Signup bonus is usually around 80k pts. Bare minimum you get a free night at a Holiday Inn Express every year. Hopefully your travels take you to a city with an Intercontinental.
    Then, (and this applies to all cards with an AF) you call the bank when the AF posts and tell them you want to close the account instead of paying the AF. About 50/50 chance they will offer you bonus points or a statement credit to keep the card open.

I did the double SW card(business and personal) and got the companion pass early in 2015 in Feb. I had it all last year and all this year. Unfortunately we are having twins in the next few months and are unable to even use it. We used it 2x last year and flew 5 of us to San Fran on points. We just got the 6k anniversary points, so we're now up to 200k. Zika ain't helping our options either...

100k on ink, now that looks interesting.
    Denver Dirt Pimp - Feel free to hit me up with any RE questions.

Quote Originally Posted by H0G View Post
    I did the double SW card(business and personal) and got the companion pass early in 2015 in Feb. I had it all last year and all this year. Unfortunately we are having twins in the next few months and are unable to even use it. We used it 2x last year and flew 5 of us to San Fran on points. We just got the 6k anniversary points, so we're now up to 200k. Zika ain't helping our options either....
    You can transfer your wife's companion pass status to up to three different mistresses. But unfortunately, only one at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by EZB View Post
    jm2e, the 110000 SW points gets you the Companion Pass. But the 110000 points aren't deducted from your account then, you would still have those points to use on flights. Now that you know that, re-do your math cuz boy is it wrong!
    Point taken. I did not factor in the value of the 110K points, mostly because I've never really had enough points from anything to make them useful. So, I guess that would be enough points for about 2 round trip flights?
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    You don't need to keep the credit cards open in order to retain the SWA points or the SWA companion pass. You will have to pay the first year's credit card fees, but nothing afterwards. Total cost: $69 + $99 = $168.
    Point taken. Dropping the annual fees in half certainly makes it more attractive.

So, new math:
    1 year of annual fees = $168 (assuming I can get the business card)
    "cost" for spending $4600 = $69 (assuming I could be getting 1.5% on my main card)
    Total Up Front Costs = $237
    Immediate reward = 2 round trip flights
    Gravy = Roughly 45% off any couples flights through 2018.
    That's easier to consider.

Point taken. I did not factor in the value of the 110K points, mostly because I've never really had enough points from anything to make them useful. So, I guess that would be enough points for about 2 round trip flights?
    More like 5-6 flights at the very least. The beauty of SWA, they don't charge to change flights, so there's no penalty booking way in advance, when the flights are cheap.
    I currently have six flights to DEN booked for the spring. Some of the legs are as low as 2000 miles ($39) each way.
    If you don't use them, cancel up to two hours prior to departure and the miles go right back into your bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    More like 5-6 flights at the very least. The beauty of SWA, they don't charge to change flights, so there's no penalty booking way in advance, when the flights are cheap.
    I currently have six flights to DEN booked for the spring. Some of the legs are as low as 2000 miles ($39) each way.
    If you don't use them, cancel up to two hours prior to departure and the miles go right back into your bank.
    ^^ I do this a lot when booking SWA points travel. When you have a ton of SWA points, it's nice to have that flexibility -- I can book several duplicate trips (if I'm not sure when we're going), without running out of points. When you cancel, you have the option of having SWA refund the TSA fees to your credit card or hold them on file as credit -- always pick the refund.

And agreed, 110K points is more like 5-6 round trips for a single passenger. With the companion pass, you effectively double those points.

Book SWA points travel during a fare sale, and keep watching future fare sales in case the point value decreases further. Mrs. C. and I flew to Puerto Vallarta last Thanksgiving for around 21K points for both of us, using the companion pass.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Whoa! You can use the companion pass when you redeem points?

I was basing the 2 round trip flights on a 2 min hypothetical trip I just plugged in. 20-28K points each way. I don't fly just for kicks. If I fly it's because I'm going to a specific place on a specific date and I take whatever the fares are.

Edit: How long to points last? Worst case scenario: I join the club, rack up 110k points and do zero SW traveling for the whole 2 years. Do I still get to spend the next decade using up the points?

Whoa! You can use the companion pass when you redeem points?

I was basing the 2 round trip flights on a 2 min hypothetical trip I just plugged in. 20-28K points each way. I don't fly just for kicks. If I fly it's because I'm going to a specific place on a specific date and I take whatever the fares are.

Edit: How long to points last? Worst case scenario: I join the club, rack up 110k points and do zero SW traveling for the whole 2 years. Do I still get to spend the next decade using up the points?
    Yes, use the companion pass for ANY companion travel -- whether paid or on points. That's the beauty of this SWA deal.

SWA points do not expire, SO LONG AS you earn points within the last 24 months. Note: EARN, not redeem. Easy to do this if you fly SWA ever, or buy a magazine through a miles portal, or eat at a restaurant on the SWA Dining list (with a registered credit card -- does not need to be the SWA card, any card you register is fine).

You do not need to use the 110K points within any given time frame, so long as you keep them from expiring. They are not transferable to any other airline or hotel though.

I'm not talking about "flying for kicks" here. If you can be flexible in your travel dates, you can really take advantage of discounted rates and fare sales, and stretch those SWA points a long way.

Check out the chase sapphire if you travel or eat out a lot

Just realized the Chase Sapphire Reserve $300 annual travel credit works on lift tickets. Got a credit for a lift ticket from Baker. Can't guarantee it works at all resorts.

Final questions for the Credit Card Gurus:
    I didn't do the Southwest Card applications a month ago when it seemed like a good deal because the wife didn't think I was being rational (usually this is a good thing). Now I've got several trips coming up, so it's more of a "no brainer".
    1. If I apply for 2 SW cards today, how long do you think it would be before I could cash in on the first cards worth of miles? i.e. Get the card, pay for thousands of dollars in car repair bills next week, validate first card promotion to "get my points", use points.
    2. To get the Companion Pass, do you need to have all 110K points in your "bank" at once? Or do you just need to have had 110K points cumulatively, even though you've already spent some of them? In which case question #1 doesn't would be counter productive.

i was gonna answer, but their FAQ is pretty clear.

i'm conflicted

https://creditcards.chase.com/southwest/FAQ

Sweet, that was way faster than looking it up myself!
    Still doesn't seem to answer the second question though.

What is a Companion Pass and how do I get it?

Your spouse, your best friend, or maybe your mother. Whomever you choose, your Companion can fly with you when you have Companion Pass status. Simply fly 100 qualifying one-way flights or earn 110,000 Qualifying Points in one calendar year. Every point earned on purchases counts toward the 110,000 points you need for Companion Pass status.

Anyone else on here never own a credit card?