Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Layering question

Any experience with the Patty Micropuff? Too warm?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Any experience with the Patty Micropuff? Too warm for skiing?
    Yup, and too puffy for under a shell, phenomenal piece of gear though, love mine! Use my tnf thermo ball for under shell, really good info in this thread, think it really comes down to where you ski?
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

CO and UT. Often inbounds, above treeline, in windy conditions.

Need an XL

Layering question

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1448738374.566792.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	172522
    I went and looked at one of these, hoping it would be the exact piece I was searching for. Ticked a lot of the boxes, warm, light, very breathable. The major down fall is you need fucking toothpick arms. The sleeves are CRAZY tight on the biceps and forearm. Wtf! I only had a t-shirt on, could only imagine how tight it would be with a base layer. So tired of the euro fag fit with clothing these days.

^^^^What about OR Cathode? It's an excellent but cheaper alternative to the Nano Air and Atom LT. Medium fits me well. I'm 5'10" 175 with a 43" chest.

Layering question

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    ^^^^What about OR Cathode? It's an excellent but cheaper alternative to the Nano Air and Atom LT. Medium fits me well. I'm 5'10" 175 with a 43" chest.
    Looks good but I only like a hood on my outer shell not on my layering pieces.

Used a nano air jacket last year for the same reasons you're looking to cover. Thought the breathability was very good, combined with a lightweight wool long sleeve and Knifeblade jacket (power shield pro), with no lingering sweaty feeling at all.

Temp range with that combo was mid-20s to sub-zero F, anything warmer and I would ditch the nano for a R1 and heavier weight wool long sleeve.

For the record my thermoball (non hybrid) fits wonderfully! I'm a pretty thick cat and no issues, it's a great all round jckt/lyr

The only issue I have with the hybrid is the arms. Granted I have some guns, but fer fucks sake, give me some room in the arms. The standard thermoball fits fine in the arms. Not sure why they're so tight on the hybrid.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1448738374.566792.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	172522
    I went and looked at one of these, hoping it would be the exact piece I was searching for. Ticked a lot of the boxes, warm, light, very breathable. The major down fall is you need fucking toothpick arms. The sleeves are CRAZY tight on the biceps and forearm. Wtf! I only had a t-shirt on, could only imagine how tight it would be with a base layer. So tired of the euro fag fit with clothing these days.
    I got the Burton AK insulator last year. Fits over my base layer and under my Fly Low jacket with no problem but is only for the coldest days. Last years was 600 fill down and I think they went to 800 fill this year.

Layering question

Need some layering input for cold (10° and below with below zero windchill)....especially for dealing with windchill.

My current base layer for a cold day is an older Cap 3. Is there a warmth or performance difference/improvement with the newer Patty mid weight Cap that's a combo of the best of Cap 2 and 3 (from what I've read)?

Also, with all things equal, is merino or Cap base layers the same in terms of warmth? I know the merino doesn't smell.

Finally, what's a better decision for more warmth: buy a heavier base layer like a Cap 4 if the mid weight isn't enough or add a Marmot DriClime Windshirt into the mix?

I really like the minus 33 heavyweight merino and then a high pile fleece. Can always wear thin merino shirt as first layer. There is an XL Patagonia R2 in GS and I have a mtn hardware XL 300 weight for sale. But I have worn that in -25 and been fine. I just bought some hi pile fleece pants and it's like wearing a bear rug.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Agreed on the weather thing. If it gets colder I have a vest I can toss over the nano. Warmer, just vest over merino. Really concerned about breath ability and if the nano would be to warm. Sounds like a good combo though.
    The Nano Puff does NOT breath! If you are looking for a warm and breathable mid-layer do not get the Nano Puff. The jacket is designed to trap your body heat to keep you warm.

ICEMAN has the answer, if you need layers go with multiple wraps of 10-12 year old news print and on the up side its recyclable so you are not a global warning dick.
    watch out for snakes

Mid layer question: does anyone have experience with the Melanzana Micro Grid crew or hoody?
    What would be warmer: a Marmot DriClime Shirt or Melanzana Micro Grid piece?

Kinda apples and oranges, driclime is a very thin wind shirt, micro grid is not a wind piece at all

I would say the Melanzana would probably be warmer, without taking wind into account. If you are wearing it is a mid layer with a windproof layer over the top, then yeah warmer than the Marmot which is just a windshirt.

I am a fan of the Melanzana.

Quote Originally Posted by stefanwarnaar View Post

I am a fan of the Melanzana.
    Me too!